The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » W.O.M. Marketing on Social Media (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Hi,

I've been thinking about using Social Media as a bigger platform for marketing than I have in the past, however, I am not interested in using fb ads or anything like that. The goal is to use fb to create word of mouth marketing and getting people talking about my service as an entertainer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good books for generating Word of Mouth Marketing, using Social Media?

If you recommend a book, please indicate if you have actually used the information in the book you're recommending and "why/how" it was helpful to you.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Facebook For Dummies." It has information that is easy to understand. It lets you know what you can do free. It gives good advice.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, cbguy wrote:
Hi,

I've been thinking about using Social Media as a bigger platform for marketing than I have in the past, however, I am not interested in using fb ads or anything like that. The goal is to use fb to create word of mouth marketing and getting people talking about my service as an entertainer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good books for generating Word of Mouth Marketing, using Social Media?

If you recommend a book, please indicate if you have actually used the information in the book you're recommending and "why/how" it was helpful to you.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Organic reach on FB is dead. You will not generate word of mouth on it.

If you want to get your message out, pay. And pay you should. Their targeting is RIDICULOUS. I mean, do you realize you can select your exact audience within a given distance of your location? Why would you want to stand on a street corner and shout and random passer bys when you can target EXACTLY the people who might be interested in your product?

It's also the most underpriced attention in the world.

Think about this, with the right Facebook ad, the $20-$30 you want to spend on a book could target 1,000+ specifically targeted people in your immediate service area.

Do you want buzz? Or do your business?

-Robert
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6673 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Organic reach on FB is dead. You will not generate word of mouth on it.

Drat. There is that word again. Organic. I always have used the word in association with...well:

Definition of organic
: an organic substance: such as
a : a fertilizer of plant or animal origin
b : a pesticide whose active component is an organic compound or a mixture of organic compounds
c : a food produced by organic farming

Magic seems to use the word liberally in advertising and such. I wonder...if in this case, maybe:

Organic:
a : forming an integral element of a whole : fundamental
incidental music rather than organic parts of the action — Francis Fergusson
b : having systematic coordination of parts : organized an organic whole
c : having the characteristics of an organism : developing in the manner of a living plant or animal society is organic
many new coinages … stem from the normal organic structure of the language — William Chomsky

: of, relating to, or constituting the law by which a government or organization exists
their nation has written the separation of church and state into its organic law — Paul Blanshard

OK. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Doug
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Robert,

I'm not sure why you would say that organic reach is dead when most of my clients are doing well with it. In fact, That's one of the BESt ways to cultivate your following of qualified prospects and raving fans. They are the ones who will go to bat for you once you run a sweepstakes, contest or encourage them to like, share and comment.

Yes, ads are wonderful, however, most magician's do not know how to target properly nor understand how to split test each campaign in order to show which one is better. Also, they fail to create a properly built landing page when the ad is clicked on thus leading to sh*tty results in conversion.

My suggestion, if you wish to use FB strictly for networking, is to niche down your target audience and find which groups they are hanging out in. Find your commonality in these groups and how you can engage them without being the "annoying pest" but rather, the "welcomed guest". Once they've built trust in you and you have positioned yourself, THEN you can ask the admin about promoting your business or running a special promo offer to that specific group. Make sure to set terms to the promo and include a deadline to take advantage of the offer (scarcity and urgency).

But ONLY wanting to use Facebook for word of mouth is NOT utilizing Facebook's full potential as a terrific marketing tool. Robert IS correct that their ad campaigns are incredible now and, if you know how to do it properly, you can earn a nice return on your investment!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have met only few who know as much about this stuff as Michael. He is on the cutting edge of it for certain.

What he is not saying is that it is what he does. If you want to utilize Facebook he is THE guy to hire.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, eatonmagic wrote:
Robert,

I'm not sure why you would say that organic reach is dead when most of my clients are doing well with it. In fact, That's one of the BESt ways to cultivate your following of qualified prospects and raving fans. They are the ones who will go to bat for you once you run a sweepstakes, contest or encourage them to like, share and comment.

Yes, ads are wonderful, however, most magician's do not know how to target properly nor understand how to split test each campaign in order to show which one is better. Also, they fail to create a properly built landing page when the ad is clicked on thus leading to sh*tty results in conversion.

My suggestion, if you wish to use FB strictly for networking, is to niche down your target audience and find which groups they are hanging out in. Find your commonality in these groups and how you can engage them without being the "annoying pest" but rather, the "welcomed guest". Once they've built trust in you and you have positioned yourself, THEN you can ask the admin about promoting your business or running a special promo offer to that specific group. Make sure to set terms to the promo and include a deadline to take advantage of the offer (scarcity and urgency).

But ONLY wanting to use Facebook for word of mouth is NOT utilizing Facebook's full potential as a terrific marketing tool. Robert IS correct that their ad campaigns are incredible now and, if you know how to do it properly, you can earn a nice return on your investment!

Because organic reach IS dead. I mean it may still have a trickle left in the tank. But if you want your content to really get out, pay.

As for targeting and A/B testing, there's two really cool websites. One is google. The other is Youtube. Type in how to do AB testinf on FB ads and bingo.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Robert,

Maybe you just need a good social media coach. If you're not able to grow your social presence organically, there's something wrong with either your brand, your culture or your content.

Michael
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I who state it again. This is what Michael does. And he does it VERY well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, eatonmagic wrote:
Robert,

Maybe you just need a good social media coach. If you're not able to grow your social presence organically, there's something wrong with either your brand, your culture or your content.

Michael

Michael,

Okay Michael. You win. Facebook's algorithm is just pretend. The millions of pages who lost 99% of their organic reach when FB started their algorithm are just in need of a good social media coach.

I give. You're right.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
It's not 99%....more like 95. You get around 5% organic reach. BUT, once your audience ENGAGES (liking, commenting, sharing), that % will grow. This is why content is vital!

And also, are you referring to using an actual business page or personal page. There's a bit of a difference here.

The problem comes in when people do not understand the importance of delivering engaging content. Most only post things about themselves and rarely involve their audiences. It's the same thing as doing a magic trick for yourself in front of the mirror. Of course YOU will love it. But then think about making one subtle change and simply asking your audience what THEY think of it and more importantly, asking for feedback. The moment you do this, you'll get it!

I had a client that owns a nice restaurant and he was averaging about 3 likes and MAYBE one commen per post. His overall post reach was crap. Every post was about these $3 mimosas he was so proud of. I pointed out WHY he wasn't generating revenue off of his Facebook page (there were several reasons actually) but encouraged him to try one post...

I told him to simply post a picture of a question mark and then the following "Hey folks! We're considering adding a new item to our menu. Would you help out and suggest a dish you'd love to see on our menu? Please comment below, like and share so we can hear from your friends as well. Thank you."

The results? That one post hit over 100 likes, 230 comments and over 30 shares! Blew his mind!

He had NO idea that he would ever do that well on such a simple post and it was all because he asked. Lol.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just wish someone would have told us that Michael was THE MAN when it came to this type of thing. Oh wait someone did!

No kidding guys if you're disappointed with Facebook results contact him.

The problem is Facebook is a "me" medium and that is everyone's mentality of how to use it. That way is not nearly as engaging as people think. When you engage and make it about them you see results.

By the way that is how much of successful advertising is done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9420 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem is Facebook is a "me" medium and that is everyone's mentality of how to use it.

This mentality towards facebook is so true, and also happens to be the way many performers approach their entire entertainment business operations as well.
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, eatonmagic wrote:
It's not 99%....more like 95. You get around 5% organic reach. BUT, once your audience ENGAGES (liking, commenting, sharing), that % will grow. This is why content is vital!

Exactly.

It's worth noting that, because of how Facebook is set up, Likes & Comments will bring your post to people's attention as well--you needn't (and shouldn't) rely on Sharing.

Too many people hear "viral" and think "So and so sends it to their friends, who send it to their friends, etc." but the best results start a lot more subtle than that. 1 person Likes it, their Friends see (in 1 way or another) that they Liked it, 1 of them Likes it, and it goes from there.

So don't focus on something that people will want to spread around--focus on something that people will want to interact with.

Good content with a good (even if minuscule) base of followers will find its way to a good (even if comparatively small) audience--which brings me to next point: don't expect millions, or even thousands.

I think this is why people see viral on Facebook as a rarity, because they're thinking of things that get those numbers. Those are a rarity without plopping down a lot of cash. However, 20-50 new, fresh eyes who find your content via a friend of a friend (of a friend) is not hard at all if you produce something worth seeing.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Produce content worth seeing you say? That is just crazy enough to work!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
One would think it'd be obvious, but then you take a look at the sort of stuff that people are hoping will go viral...

Inducing interaction is key though. People simply enjoying it and moving on won't do a thing.

If I got a dollar for every "Use the reaction buttons to vote on this stupid question" live video that I've had dropped in front of me over the past few months, I'd be very rich. They aren't worth watching, but they spread like crazy because of all the "Your friend reacted to this video" reports.

So, basically, I suppose "induce interaction" first and "make it good" second.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2592 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Buyers like to know a little about the sellers and facebook is the perfect place for them to get to know you. So the ‘me’ thing still has to be there to a degree, otherwise you are just a masked man trying to sell your products. The key is to ‘allow’ them to buy without the selling. It’s the perfect place to build relationships.

One thing you can do to get more viewing your content is to set your profile to public where everyone can see it and not just your friends. Of course public setting is not for everyone because when set to Public all your posts can be seen by anyone.

To me, Robert is a good example of how to properly use facebook to position yourself as being the expert in your own industry. He doesn’t sell, he tells, and Facebook is the perfect place to tell your story.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is entirely possible you missed the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2592 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, what 'point' did I disagree with?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I didn't say you disagreed, I said you missed it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » W.O.M. Marketing on Social Media (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL