The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I think I have my escape... now to fine tune it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Hi,

I haven't been able to apply alot of time to the craft, but am now above average on picking most cuffs with a paper clip, even on the wrists (not the back though...haven't tried).

But, I have been thinking of an escape to submit for Houdini days, and I finally came up with an idea... which you guys can use after summer. Smile

I own an ISP, and I have computer racks, and I just happen to fit in a rack, where both of my arms are covered by the metal, there are some holes that are placed about every 2 feet or so, and there are tiny holes on the sides throughout (for cords and stuff). So, I have been brainstorming with my friends and this is the escape so far... IF I can do it.

I am going to stand in the rack (can actually make a wood base so it doesn't tip / can put it on wheels). I thought of using cuffs, one cuff in the hole, the other on my wrist, same with the other side. Then have layers (probably 8 or 10) of plastic wrap, which actually could go all the way to the top (not sure if I want to do that though... air can come from the top of the rack and my head would have to be looking over a shoulder). I guess it looks pretty impressive when wrapped. Obviously, I then escape.

So, one question would be, do they make gimicked handcuffs where you can get out using just one hand?

Second question would be do you think I should incorperate chain instead of the cuffs?

Third, do you think it would be impressive enough to do on stage?

I haven't tried yet to see if I can get out in a reasonable amount of time, but I thought I can get out of the cuffs as I am being wrapped. And, just brainstorming to come up with something cool as my escape. What is your opinion? Thanks for your help.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Now not to be rude. I am saying this purely for entertainment reasons.

Where's the entertainment? They know you can escape, your an escape artist. I'm a mind reader I read mind, they know I'm going to read their minds and don't care, its the routine that counts and hits them on a personal level. Where's the drama. Will it hit them on a personal level? Is there any theme? Will it work? Cuffs work well, stick with them. Chains seem easier gimmicked.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
As an escape it sounds nice, but you will have to put as much time in as regards to the actual routine as you do learning how to escape. Mark Cannon sums it up perfectly in the Handcuff Manipulation Kit booklet "(if) an accomplished escapist applies his skills and presents them in an artistic, entertaining way before an audience, then... he might... call himself an escape artist"

Have a look at the posts on here regarding music and performing. Don't forget to check out the post titled lier, some interesting views on what to tell an audience and how to say it. I would also check out some of the stuff about linguistics (spelt?), I know alot of mentalists use this stuff and when done well you can pretty much have an audience believe you are capable of pretty much anything.

Good luck, let me know how it goes,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hey Bretigan,

That sounds interesting! I'd add some chain, because chain looks good!

I'll PM you with a couple of ideas which may make it even bettter!

James.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Bretigan,

If your audience were system adminstrators they would understand the concept of being trapped in a server rack, and this would provide you with many opportunites for extremely obscure inside jokes based on Unix commands.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I think I have my escape... now to fine tune it (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL