The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to magic, just saying hi. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Smudgey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Smudgey
Hi everyone.

I've been reading the café for the last few months and thought it was about time I introduced myself and started to get involved. I'm a 33 year old guy from the UK. I was initially worried that I was starting too late but after reading a few posts here it looks like it's never too late to learn. I have no real desire to do this professionally but would like to get to a good hobbyist standard.

I'm interested in learning card magic and then eventually a few other tricks such as cups and balls. I started by buying a couple of tricks such as ID but now want to concentrate on learning some sleights and building my card tricks that way. I've started with the card magic toolbox DVD set from BBM. A few people have suggested other DVDs and books but I seem to like the structure to this DVD set. Has anyone else had any experience with it?

One of my main problems is constantly reading the latest and greatest forum and looking at all the great tricks out there. I have noticed the Cubism Maestro cups and balls (dice) set which looks a great way to learn a cups and balls routine. I like it because it appears to be using standard items and it doesn't ship for a few months so I can stick to cards for now.

Anyway thanks for listening. All the best.

Smudgey
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Smudgey,

Your best tactic would be to focus on one or two things at once and don't move on till you get a good response to them. You are certainly not the first newbie (or oldbie LOL) to get caught up in the shiny distractions of the new and novel.

I started as an adult but just adding one tick at a time my repertoire got larger over time.

If they are quality tricks, chosen with care and honed, that repertoire will be worth doing.

Best of luck Smudgey.

-Mary Mowder
Brandon G
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Brandon G
Hi Smudgey, I started late like you at 31. I am 33 now and have noticed a ton of improvement after practicing (almost) every day.

I'm going to recommend picking up a couple of books, much better than buying separate tricks. For card magic, try reading 'The Royal Road to Card Magic'. For magic in general, I recommend Mark Wilson's 'Magic: the Complete Course'. From there, you can learn many many things, one of which is a decent cups and balls routine.

Neither of these books are expensive. It would surprise me if it cost you more than $15-$20 USD for the two of them. Wilson's in particular is absurdly cheap for both the sheer volume and quality of the material in it.
Smudgey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Smudgey
Thank you both for the kind words. It's good to hear that you both started out at a slightly older age.

I'm definitely trying to avoid the new shiny things for now and many thanks for your suggestions.

All the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to magic, just saying hi. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL