The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WikiLeaks Releases Trove of Alleged C.I.A. Hacking Documents (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I love the fact that Donald Trump was a big fan of WikiLeaks as long as they were uncovering crap about Hillary. Now that they're targeting HIM and HIS groups, suddenly he doesn't see them quite the same way.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
That was a movie. You know the difference right?

Writers get their ideas from the news and conferences. Meaningful ideas come in context. I'd prefer to use easily referenced fiction as time markers on ideas in the public discourse here. No inconvenient facts to trigger the no-cents typists. Smile

The issue regarding personally identifiable data in borrowing has been with the library institution for a long time - ask your local librarian. http://www.ala.org/advocacy/proethics/co......deethics The notion of there being ways to get around that presumed ethical code has been with us at least that long. On the phone side to locate people and their communications - see the ATT wiretapping discussions from back then - so let's take basic information culling as a given. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/nyreg......tml?_r=0

Just found a fun book: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/09/amazons......a-b.html
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
I love the fact that Donald Trump was a big fan of WikiLeaks as long as they were uncovering crap about Hillary. Now that they're targeting HIM and HIS groups, suddenly he doesn't see them quite the same way.

Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ed is trying to get the thread deleted by making it political. He is obviously a secret CIA troll.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Just think about what you have access to yourself. GPs. Also you can get GPS tracking devices to install on others.

Which is illegal.

Quote:
Do you really believe that that is the state of the art? Check out what they use on toll roads today to track you. Do you really believe that is the state of the art? People with just a little computer knowledge can use your wi fi if they are close enough to your home or business. Do you think they are the only ones who can do something like this.

What difference does it makes who breaks just laws?

Quote:
That is so benign that it does not even matter.

Breaking the law is benign, and does not matter?

Quote:
Just a question. Do you believe that all of the wire taps taking place at this instant are legal? Do you feel that those tapping some of the lines really obtained a warrant?

No, and moot. Unless you think the Patriot act is something that should ever exist in the U.S.

Quote:
Many here may disagree with this next statement. But I do believe there is definitely a need to know group only on many things. Most of us here on the Magic Café are not part of that group.

We do not need to know, or publicize, every troop movement or operation but we have a right to know if what our government is doing, with our tax dollars, is immoral, and illegal.

Now, before our eyes and with unbelievable gall, the checks are being stripped away, and the balances are all but gone.

The sad thing is that those that go around saying "well, if you're not breaking the law why do you care?" have their face so close to the screen they have no ability to see the larger picture left.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There is a war on for your mind.......
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Slim King wrote:
There is a war on for your mind.......

Some claim I lost my mind years ago.
For better or worse, it ran away.
It sends postcards on occasion.
No return address, of course.
Return to sender...
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
Just think about what you have access to yourself. GPs. Also you can get GPS tracking devices to install on others.

Which is illegal.

Quote:
Do you really believe that that is the state of the art? Check out what they use on toll roads today to track you. Do you really believe that is the state of the art? People with just a little computer knowledge can use your wi fi if they are close enough to your home or business. Do you think they are the only ones who can do something like this.

Quote:

Quote:
Just a question. Do you believe that all of the wire taps taking place at this instant are legal? Do you feel that those tapping some of the lines really obtained a warrant?

No, and moot. Unless you think the Patriot act is something that should ever exist in the U.S.

Quote:
Many here may disagree with this next statement. But I do believe there is definitely a need to know group only on many things. Most of us here on the Magic Café are not part of that group.

We do not need to know, or publicize, every troop movement or operation but we have a right to know if what our government is doing, with our tax dollars, is immoral, and illegal.

Now, before our eyes and with unbelievable gall, the checks are being stripped away, and the balances are all but gone.

The sad thing is that those that go around saying "well, if you're not breaking the law why do you care?" have their face so close to the screen they have no ability to see the larger picture left.

GPS tracking devices are not illegal. Only if done with out the knowledge of those being tracked. It is done constantly be people watching their people on the road.

YOU SAID: What difference does it makes who breaks just laws?
I have no idea what you mean.

Do you ever cross the street against a red light if no traffic is coming while you are walking or in your car not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Benign yet illegal.

People who have used wire taps to get information get it whether they do it legally or not. That is my point nothing more. What don't you understand?

You are injecting a straw man about troop movement. That has nothing to do with the discussion. Our security and protection out weigh our right to know in many instances. Have you ever heard the term, "just cause"?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is illegal.

Quote:
Do you really....are the only ones who can do something like this.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GPS tracking devices are not illegal. Only if done with out the knowledge of those being tracked. It is done constantly be people watching their people on the road.

Quote:

Obviously.

Quote:
Do you ever cross the street against a red light if no traffic is coming while you are walking or in your car not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Benign yet illegal.

You equate disregarding the right to privacy to jaywalking?
Ooooook.
Not stopping at a stop sign endangers others; so it's illegal for a reason. It should apply to all, the public and civil servants a.
alike.
You DO stop at stop signs, right Ace?

People who have used wire taps to get information get it whether they do it legally or not. That is my point nothing more. What don't you understand?

You are injecting a straw man about troop movement. That has nothing to do with the discussion. Our security and protection out weigh our right to know in many instances. Have you ever heard the term, "just cause"?

I understand all your points - better than you do apparently.

My point is that the way they get the info matters to those who understand the importance of the rights being negated with the tacit compliance of those, like you, who would gladly trade freedom for the illusion of security.

My point about troop movement was intended to preempt your next usual point - which is that there are some things not everyone needs to know.
You know, the point you attempted to make in the torture thread before you got all petulant.

Why are you so eager to turn over your rights? Doesn't it matter to you that horrible things are being done in your name, and with your tax dollars?

You're doing fine so it doesn't matter...right? You don't break any of the current laws...right?

Laws change Ace. If they can make it legal to ignore your right privacy, what's to prevent them from making it legal to ignore your, say...I don't know, right to property?

All for some undefined greater good of course; which no good obedient patriotic citizen would dare to oppose........right?

And please, learn the meaning of the literary devices you attempt to use. It's getting sad.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Some people don't learn until they or their near/dear have direct experience of damages done by powers that be for some claimed greater good. Like the public homophobe confronted by a child or spouse coming out...it's almost amusing to watch the "oops" moment then see if there's actual learning...

Just a story. Learning... wishful thinking.

Keep typing...since typing makes it so...abracadabra
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is illegal.

Quote:
Do you really....are the only ones who can do something like this.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Obviously.

Quote:

You equate disregarding the right to privacy to jaywalking?
Ooooook.
Not stopping at a stop sign endangers others; so it's illegal for a reason. It should apply to all, the public and civil servants a.
alike.
You DO stop at stop signs, right Ace?

I understand all your points - better than you do apparently.

My point is that the way they get the info matters to those who understand the importance of the rights being negated with the tacit compliance of those, like you, who would gladly trade freedom for the illusion of security.

My point about troop movement was intended to preempt your next usual point - which is that there are some things not everyone needs to know.
You know, the point you attempted to make in the torture thread before you got all petulant.

Why are you so eager to turn over your rights? Doesn't it matter to you that horrible things are being done in your name, and with your tax dollars?

You're doing fine so it doesn't matter...right? You don't break any of the current laws...right?

Laws change Ace. If they can make it legal to ignore your right privacy, what's to prevent them from making it legal to ignore your, say...I don't know, right to property?

All for some undefined greater good of course; which no good obedient patriotic citizen would dare to oppose........right?

privacy to jaywalking

This is getting long. But I don't want to leave anything out.

First off no one equated anything to anything. You did that in your mind then accused me of doing it. I guess in your mind that is OK. You feel you had just cause. Smile

I always sort of stop at stop signs. Have you ever heard of the California Stop? Perhaps not. While illegal if and I see no one around I will often do just that. I never go right through a stop sign without slowing down and checking out all around me. Remember the law for a stop sign is to come to a COMPLETE STOP then go. Check out how many people really do that. You may be surprised. "COMPLETE STOP" being the key words here. I am not saying it is correct but it is done by many and they are breaking the law.

Got to love this statement of yours. "privacy to jaywalking". Again something you thought up. Just mentioning that people break laws. Are you telling me that you NEVER broke any laws?

This is really your argument it is from the ridiculous to the sublime? "what's to prevent them from making it legal to ignore your, say...I don't know, right to property?" Seriously you are getting desperate. You do realize how silly you sound. I hope so now in retrospect. You are getting way to emotional and putting your mouth (keyboard) in gear before you think.

You posted a lot of nonsense. Read this: I understand all your points - better than you do apparently. WHAT THE HECK, ARE YOU NOW A MIND READER? Do you really put that much value in your OPINION. I am sure you know about opinions so I won't post it.

Don't go off on the freedom part and tell me that I would trade it for security. That only proves my point in what I said before that you put your mouth in gear before you think. Stop! You are sounding foolish and pompous when you tell others what and how they feel.

As far as rights are concerned if one has a permit to carry a concealed firearm for self defense it does not give him the right to go after criminals or kill someone he believes is committing a crime. He has a right to carry a firearm concealed for self defense and that is it. When you have the right to privacy that does not mean that you have the right (privacy rights) to build a bomb in the privacy of your home etc. Just showing you how some people can get carried away and do with rights. You have the right to protest. That does not give you the right to riot and tip over cars and set them on fire and loot stores. Again I am only saying that people believe that they have a right to do something then get carried away. You have a right to your privacy. But what you do in your privacy had better not infringe on my rights or cause harm to others or betray our country that granted you those rights.

We are on the same side here but obviously see things differently. You see many things as your rights being violated and in some cases you may be correct. I see things that are done for "just cause" and in some cases I may be incorrect. You nor I are perfect. I am pretty close. kidding Smile

I forgot where I put my soap box.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

Nor do her friends. Meet the new double standard; same as the old double-standard. And everyone's playing the cute little game on both sides. And the people who defended Anita Hill and attacked Paula Jones point at the people who defended Clarence Rhomas and attacked Bill Clinton and say, "Look! A double standard!"

I mean, seriously Ed. LOL
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There nothing really cute or funny about what is going on but people have brainwashed into thinking such things are funny.
Have any of you boys read a book called, The Cultural Cold War by Frances Stoner Saunders?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Nor do her friends. Meet the new double standard; same as the old double-standard. And everyone's playing the cute little game on both sides. And the people who defended Anita Hill and attacked Paula Jones point at the people who defended Clarence Rhomas and attacked Bill Clinton and say, "Look! A double standard!"

I mean, seriously Ed. LOL

Of course he doesn't realize that he himself if involved in the double standard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
First off no one equated anything to anything. You did that in your mind then accused me of doing it. I guess in your mind that is OK. You feel you had just cause.
Got to love this statement of yours. "privacy to jaywalking". Again something you thought up. Just mentioning that people break laws. Are you telling me that you NEVER broke any laws?

We're talking about the negation of rights. You said -

"Do you ever cross the street against a red light if no traffic is coming while you are walking or in your car not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Benign yet illegal."

Then you said -

"People who have used wire taps to get information - get it - whether they do it legally or not."

So, in your usual slippery way, you did compare them. Now you're back-peddling. There's a lot of that in the news these days.

Quote:
I always sort of stop at stop signs. Have you ever heard of the California Stop? Perhaps not. While illegal if and I see no one around I will often do just that. I never go right through a stop sign without slowing down and checking out all around me. Remember the law for a stop sign is to come to a COMPLETE STOP then go.

Then you are doing something illegal. If you, one day, hit and possibly kill someone, what will your defense be? C'mon judge, everyone does it?

Quote:
Check out how many people really do that.

So a million wrongs make a right?

Quote:
You may be surprised. "COMPLETE STOP" being the key words here. I am not saying it is correct but it is done by many and they are breaking the law.

So you know you're a law breaker. Good that's half the problem.

Quote:
This is really your argument it is from the ridiculous to the sublime? "what's to prevent them from making it legal to ignore your, say...I don't know, right to property?" Seriously you are getting desperate.

I'm sorry you lack the capacity to see what's in front of your face. I really am.
You should move the newspaper away from your face, or better yet put it down and go read the real history of the world; not the one you accepted after reciting the pledge of allegiance.

Quote:
You do realize how silly you sound. I hope so now in retrospect. You are getting way to emotional and putting your mouth (keyboard) in gear before you think.

Not emotional, and not the one using all caps, or childish emoji's.
That would be you.

Quote:
You posted a lot of nonsense. Read this: I understand all your points - better than you do apparently. WHAT THE HECK, ARE YOU NOW A MIND READER?

No, You're just pathetically easy to read.
Jingo bells Ace. Jingo bells.

Quote:
Do you really put that much value in your OPINION.

Usually, but, unlike you, I'll change my mind given new facts.

Quote:
I am sure you know about opinions so I won't post it.

Such a gentleman.

Quote:
Don't go off on the freedom part and tell me that I would trade it for security.

You are. "We need to torture." "We need to allow unconstitutional surveillance." "As long as it works what difference does it make."

Quote:
That only proves my point in what I said before that you put your mouth in gear before you think. Stop! You are sounding foolish and pompous when you tell others what and how they feel.

Why do you need to keep saying that?

Quote:
As far as rights are concerned if one has a permit to carry a concealed firearm for self defense it does not give him the right to go after criminals or kill someone he believes is committing a crime. He has a right to carry a firearm concealed for self defense and that is it. When you have the right to privacy that does not mean that you have the right (privacy rights) to build a bomb in the privacy of your home etc. Just showing you how some people can get carried away and do with rights. You have the right to protest. That does not give you the right to riot and tip over cars and set them on fire and loot stores.Again I am only saying that people believe that they have a right to do something then get carried away. You have a right to your privacy. But what you do in your privacy had better not infringe on my rights or cause harm to others

Why did you waste your time posting what's obvious?

Quote:
or betray our country that granted you those rights.

I have the rest of the words to Jingo Bells if you need them Ace.
I didn't post them all in the torture thread out of consideration for your feelings.

Quote:
We are on the same side here but obviously see things differently. You see many things as your rights being violated and in some cases you may be correct.

We are not on the same side.

I'm on the side of what this country is supposed to stand for. You're on the side of what it's become.

Quote:
I see things that are done for "just cause" and in some cases I may be incorrect.

That's the point. The causes are have long since become unjust.
Have you ever read the constitution? The bill of rights?

Quote:
You nor I are perfect.

Nor is this country, but it could be.

Quote:
I forgot where I put my soap box.

Check in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. You probably left it
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Jingo Bells?

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I've got to bow out of this; it's getting too political.

I've been on too many "vacations" as it is.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
TO NYCTwister in response to his post,

My responses will be in ()'s
You posted: We're talking about the negation of rights. You said -

"Do you ever cross the street against a red light if no traffic is coming while you are walking or in your car not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Benign yet illegal."

Then you said -

"People who have used wire taps to get information - get it - whether they do it legally or not."
So, in your usual slippery way, you did compare them. Now you're back-peddling. There's a lot of that in the news these days.
(You never answered my question but posted a word salad. As you say a lot of that today.)
-----------------------

You posted: Then you are doing something illegal. If you, one day, hit and possibly kill someone, what will your defense be? C'mon judge, everyone does it?
(Why do you assume I am going to hit and kill someone? Did you not read my post that I check first? Would it make a difference if I came to a complete stop then hit and killed someone? I just got finished telling you that I check and you completely ignore that fact If I came to a complete stop then hit and killed someone I will still have broken the law. What is your point? Again you are putting your mouth (keyboard) in gear before you think what you say.)
------------------------------------

You posted this: I made the following statement. "People who have used wire taps to get information - get it - whether they do it legally or not."
You responded with :
-----------------------

This next one really takes the cake.
Y:ou posted this: You are. "We need to torture." "We need to allow unconstitutional surveillance." "As long as it works what difference does it make."
(I have said that I feel that torture is a way of getting information when needed in a short time frame. I do not believe I said we need to torture anyone just for the sake of torturing. I have stipulated that when lives matter and we knew the person has the information to prevent the killing and murder of further innocents I feel torture is acceptable. Anyone willing to commit a terrorist action deserves nothing less if we can save innocent lives. You may see things differently and believe we are violating the perpetrator or terrorist's rights. That is your opinion. I feel they forfeited those rights the moment they decided to take innocent lives.)
---------------------------

You posted this: Why did you waste your time posting what's obvious?
(Because with your misguided train of thought I believe you do not find it obvious at all. Otherwise I would not have posted the analogy as far as concealed firearms rights are concerned. They only give you a right to carry concealed and defend yourself not become a lawman or punisher. You are just pushing what you consider your rights beyond their limits.)
-----------------------------------

You posted this: That's the point. The causes are have long since become unjust.
Have you ever read the constitution? The bill of rights?
(Yes I have read the Constitution along with The Bill of Rights. However I am in no way a Constitutional lawyer or even a student of it. But I certainly get the gist of it. I feel along with the Bible it is one of the most important documents in existence.)
---------------------

You posted this: We are not on the same side.

I'm on the side of what this country is supposed to stand for. You're on the side of what it's become.
(Out of just about everything you posted this is about as deplorable as it gets. If you feel there is a better country than the United States of America you are correct, we are definitely not on the same side. You are right about that. I am a firm believer in, "Winning isn't everything; it is the only thing". <Henry Sanders>.
---------------------------------------

You posted this: I have the rest of the words to Jingo Bells if you need them Ace.
I didn't post them all in the torture thread out of consideration for your feelings.
(Trust me, you cannot hurt my feelings as I don't like saying this, but I do not feel you are important enough to hurt my feelings. Just thought I would let you know. So feel free to post whatever you wish. Just don't get yourself banned.)
-------------------------------------
I will end by saying that I offered a compromise by posting the following but you rejected it:
We are on the same side here but obviously see things differently. You see many things as your rights being violated and in some cases you may be correct. I see things that are done for "just cause" and in some cases I may be incorrect. You nor I are perfect. I am pretty close. Smile Have it your way.

My work here is done.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does anybody here have a clue what this pair are talking about?

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, tommy wrote:
Does anybody here have a clue what this pair are talking about?

http://wiki.project-pm.org/wiki/Persona_Management problem? my bet is topical distraction

Maybe the topic is interesting enough that the fifty cent army got typing?

I got as far as the Cravats and Jingo Bells
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WikiLeaks Releases Trove of Alleged C.I.A. Hacking Documents (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL