The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Perfoming the Zombie Ball surrounded? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Is it possible? I know I may get some stick for asking this question, but curiousity gets over me. is there any publication over the years which address this question?
never try, never know
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You can do some moves surrounded, but the idea of doing a full zombie routine surrounded just does not seem possible with the whole notion of just how the effect is done and performed.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22590 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Get Al Schneider's routine on Zombie. The magic shop in Minninapolis still sells the book for $25. I think it is Twin Cities Magic. If not there is another magic costume shop that may have it. I emailed both and found it. It is not listed on their pages.

This is his routine he created for close up and house parties. Tommy Wonder also recommends it on his DVD's.

schneider does not sell it himself, he refers you to the shop.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1810 Posts

Profile of David Todd
A hearty second to Wmhegbli for recommending the book "Al Schneider on Zombie" . It is not precisely a "surrounded" routine, but it was developed to be performed in close-up situations . If you use a cloth similar to what Dirk Losander recommends , a solid color on front , with black on the backside of the cloth then you are one step closer to "almost surrounded" if you are very, very careful. However, Zombie is not really a surrounded effect , so be careful about trying to make it do something it wasn't intended to do .

More importantly , the book "Al Schneider on Zombie" has some of the best practical work on performing Zombie and really making the ball look like it is floating . Tommy Wonder recommends the book because he says it is Schneider's book that first got him to reconsider doing Zombie , which he had previously thought of as a lousy trick . (and no wonder [*pun*], because it is often performed very badly , looking exactly like what it is , with no mystery, no acting , no psychology applied to make the ball appear to be floating on it's own ). I wish Al Schneider would allow a reprint of the book with updated photos or line drawing illustrations . (the photos in the book are a bit dated and not always clear due to the printing ) .

The only truly surrounded zombie-like effect is Losander's Floating Table , but that's another topic ............

However, I shoud add it is great to study the moves on Losander's table, because so much can be applied to the standard zombie routine, in terms of the use of movement and acting . Losander makes it look easy, but there is a lot of discipline in those moves . See the clips on the Hocus Pocus Magic Shop online video page :
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/theatre_page.html

scroll down to clips Losanders' Deluxe Floating Table and Losander's Deluxe Floating Table Clip 2 and Losander's Ultimate Floating Table.

Hocus Pocus also has a clip of Losander doing a standard zombie ball routine at this link (will open in Real Player media player) :

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/zombiea.rm
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I have done my routine in street situations witch is almost surounded to great effect. But you have to think of your movments and witch moves to make with the zombie.
I wouldn't to it in the middle of a circus ring but I woud do it in the back of the ring.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I purchased two about two months ago at the magic auction site and simply LOVE them. I work with metal/steel all day...so my handeling did not take as long to get use to. I have old videos of Melinda's routine, Tim Wright's and Neil Foster. McBrides on stage #3 should be here in a week....hopeing ther's good stuff on it. If you do the routine and "FEEL" it as you go...it can be very beautiful. Just like my favorite...the rings.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I think I agree with Dai in that I don't think Zombie really is intended to be done surrounded. I have Al Schneider's book, and have seen him do it close up, but still not surrounded.

If people are truely on your sides, and behind you, I'm just not sure how you can get away with it, without eliminating nearly all the moves. Perhaps with real creative blocking, you could pull it off.

This could be a real good challenge for someone.

Ron
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I used to do the zombie and stopped using it a number of years ago because there were just too many situations where it would not work. Having someone peek from behind or run up on stage can be devastating for this effect. As great as the zombie is, I personally don't think it is a "surrounded" effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Perfoming the Zombie Ball surrounded? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL