The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stop The Press by Martin Lewis (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Got it today. Looks awesome!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Barry you bring up a great point. With the newspapers we use with this there will be lots of great headlines. Tons of oppurtunities for some funny stuff! Not to mention these reporters are always uncovering new things about famous people. I know these stories will help to bring about numerous entertaining moments.

Good agic to all,

Eric
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
717 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Stop The Press!" is a winner.....I am VERY happy to have purchased it.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3541 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have been playing with this for about a week now and I am really enjoying it. I am working out handling to switch pieces of a regular page for the gimmicked page pieces. I would really rather not continue to purchase refills after every 12 performances. One tabloid could provide several dozen performance pages if they are switched with the gimmicks and one could get many years of performances with this.

It's a nice effect, but as presented, it's not the best "worker" if it involves the purchase of refills potentially every couple months.

kj
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1480 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Done this today in the office and the reactions were great.
I emailed the prediction to a colleague last night with the subject line - DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED

Utter shock from the office and I produced the receipt showing I bought the National Enquirer today.

Well worth the purchase.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1225 Posts

Profile of Jared
I agree this is wonderful. I've already bought a second copy because I'm going to be using this often. The pages look 100% genuine...Talk about a pack-flat plays big effect!
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
865 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I got a National Enquirer and The Globe.

Headline on the front of the Globe ....At Last Hillary Confesses. "I'm Guilty".

Gonna have some fun.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

1KJ I do understand the temptation to save money but tbh I feel one of the very strong points of Stop The Press is how clean it really appears. Onçe you rip the page out and cleanly show both sides then go into the tearing up phase, it is honestly right in their face and there is no reverse engineering. This is so clean and that's one of the strong points of this. Test run both on video and watch them both and see if its worth spending the extra cash. So far the reactions I've gotten have been fabulous and I will buy the refills especially if it has a new forced headline.

I'm glad you guys like this. When I first had it explained to me I knew I would like it but I have to say I didn't know Id like it this much! Once again Mr. Martin Lewis hits a home run.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Reignofsound what a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing this! You know I was just thinking you can email the prediction to your host as you are at the performace prior to the show then ask them to check their emails after the headline is read. I like the idea.

Good magic to all,

Eric
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Just an idea, but I know people are saying it's quite a lot to purchase this again after 18 performances. Plus also If you are practicing this you are using quite a few sheets etc,
If Martin is reading this then just an idea but what about a refill pack for a bit less in money but don't include the instructions? Or a refill pack for say 30 sheets or so at the same value not including the instructions
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3541 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, The great Gumbini wrote:
1KJ I do understand the temptation to save money but tbh I feel one of the very strong points of Stop The Press is how clean it really appears. Onçe you rip the page out and cleanly show both sides then go into the tearing up phase, it is honestly right in their face and there is no reverse engineering. This is so clean and that's one of the strong points of this. Test run both on video and watch them both and see if its worth spending the extra cash. So far the reactions I've gotten have been fabulous and I will buy the refills especially if it has a new forced headline.

I'm glad you guys like this. When I first had it explained to me I knew I would like it but I have to say I didn't know Id like it this much! Once again Mr. Martin Lewis hits a home run.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Hi. You make a good point. However, I am more likely to keep in my repertoire effects where I don't have to go "grocery" shopping after every x performances. There are so many great effects that don't require refills.

kj
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4345 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
Just an idea, but I know people are saying it's quite a lot to purchase this again after 18 performances. Plus also If you are practicing this you are using quite a few sheets etc,
If Martin is reading this then just an idea but what about a refill pack for a bit less in money but don't include the instructions? Or a refill pack for say 30 sheets or so at the same value not including the instructions

This is already the case. The instructions are available to everyone for free on his website. You are just paying for the custom refills.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:

This is already the case. The instructions are available to everyone for free on his website. You are just paying for the custom refills.

What's the point in making the instructions public without buying the effect? I have this and scanned the QR code to watch the instructions. But he should only make the instructions private until the effect is bought with a secret link for the video instructions.

But if this is already the case, then to buy the effect included the secret link, but then for the refills don't include the link.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:

I must be missing something but I am unable to find the instructions. I am checking this website: http://www.magikraft.com/

Can you please send me the link to the instructions?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is a great effect and removes all the work required in other versions, plus it has built in entertainment, it is a win-win.
I'm not sure why people are concerned at it being a refill, it is custom print and great quality. If you are unable to justify investing $1 per show, well, that is another issue.
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
865 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Performed this twice last night as my opener and had a great time. Easy mentalism (something I don't so much of) at a great price. No problem for me buying refills when needed.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4345 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2017, Magikraft wrote:
The trick is free, I will send a link of the explanation to anyone who asks. I'm editing as I speak. Unfortunately your local printer can't do newsprint, it requires equipment used by the news industry. but you could certainly make it up for yourself.

As far as buying refills, I'm hoping to sell out so I can have a second printing with a different headline, now that would be cool!

Kindly,
Martin

You need to email Martin first to get the link.
But the instructions are worthless without the specially printed inserts. I think $20 for 12 is very fair and I doubt it would be worth it to Martin to sell it any cheaper.

As I stated in a previous post, if you feel it's worth a buck or two per show and think it will provide a few entertaining minutes then it's a no brainer. If you don't, then no worries. No single effect suits everyone.
Magikraft
View Profile
V.I.P.
58 Posts

Profile of Magikraft
Hello all,

Let me try to address a couple of queries that have arisen in this thread. First, should I sell the item at a higher price and then offer refill packages at a lower one?

It doesn't seem fair to do that, a hank of magicians rope, a snowstorm, mouth coils, and many other effects, may or may not come with instructions, but no one buys any of these things expecting lower priced refills.

STOP the PRESS is the same, it's a prop - bringing it to market at the lowest possible cost is my main concern. As it turns out it's less than $2 a performance and that, to my mind, is quite reasonable.

Secondly arises the question of should I make the instructions public? Well, I have not. If you don't own the effect you have to go through me to get a link, but it doesn't cost anything, why should it, you can't do the trick without the prop. Not to mention that so far only two people have requested the link.

Finally a few folks have said they don't like effects that require refills. I understand and in this case you don't have to, just use a different method. For example the Koran method is impromptu and is described in "Koran's Legacy" by Hugh Miller, it's the one that inspired my version. It's not as clean or easy as STOP the PRESS but it worked well for Koran.

I hope that clears things up a bit,
Martin
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
910 Posts

Profile of tenchu
This is a winner! Very clean and direct mentalism piece. Wow. You can't ask for more.

It get my highest recommendation. Don't think twice and get it.

Mike
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
891 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Magikraft wrote:
Hello all,

Let me try to address a couple of queries that have arisen in this thread. First, should I sell the item at a higher price and then offer refill packages at a lower one?

It doesn't seem fair to do that, a hank of magicians rope, a snowstorm, mouth coils, and many other effects, may or may not come with instructions, but no one buys any of these things expecting lower priced refills.

STOP the PRESS is the same, it's a prop - bringing it to market at the lowest possible cost is my main concern. As it turns out it's less than $2 a performance and that, to my mind, is quite reasonable.

Secondly arises the question of should I make the instructions public? Well, I have not. If you don't own the effect you have to go through me to get a link, but it doesn't cost anything, why should it, you can't do the trick without the prop. Not to mention that so far only two people have requested the link.

Finally a few folks have said they don't like effects that require refills. I understand and in this case you don't have to, just use a different method. For example the Koran method is impromptu and is described in "Koran's Legacy" by Hugh Miller, it's the one that inspired my version. It's not as clean or easy as STOP the PRESS but it worked well for Koran.

I hope that clears things up a bit,
Martin

Hi Martin
You may want to check your PMs.
I sent you a message a few days ago that hasn't been read yet.
Thanks
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stop The Press by Martin Lewis (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL