The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello. My name is Sean and I like magic. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeanChristopher
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SeanChristopher
Hello everybody. I've been lurking for awhile. This is a great site. I've always liked magic but I've only been obsessed with it for a few years. I'm 31 now and mostly perform card magic but I'm trying to branch out a bit. I'm a decent trumpet player and was amazed to find out I can get bigger reactions performing fairly simple magic tricks than even the most difficult solo. Apples and oranges, I know, but the performer in me was hooked quickly. Since then I practice often and keep learning new things. I'd like to start performing more to strangers but I find that to be the hardest part.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
547 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Hi Sean, I started out "in public" by wandering tables at weddings and other social get-togethers I was invited to, you know the stuff I mean - you are familiar with the person who invited you, and a few mutuals, the rest are strangers to you so just introduce yourself and away you go.

My stuff is all mentalism so I am able to carry loads of packet effects in my pockets and wallet.
Best of luck and welcome to the Café
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome SeanChristopher,

I always think Musicians have a leg up on Magic because they "get" practice.

I'm a big fan of Trumpet Music. I love the trumpet work in some older SciFi like Star Trek and Star Gate.

I'll see you in "Table Hoppers and Party Strollers".

-Mary Mowder
SeanChristopher
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SeanChristopher
Thank you both for the welcome. Yes Mary, there is no substiture for practice. Do anything enough and you can't help but get good at it. Art, I will have to try branching out more that way. It's that or hang out on the streets wide eyed with a deck in my hands.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Welcome aboard!

Actually, working on the streets is an excellent idea.

Several years ago, I and two or three other magicians would perform magic in front of a family Italian eatery (with their permission, of course). This was some of the best training I could have wished for, because it teaches you how to deal with kids trying to look around your hand as you perform sleights. Folks that are either on their way in or out, some in a rush. These people will teach you how to deal with hecklers. It is a crash course, but worthy of your time and effort. Under these conditions my sleight of hand improved dramatically.

This worked so well that the eatery hired a magician to work inside, after the city decided that our efforts would yield money for them by requiring a performance permit for $150 per year. Needless to say, our tips did not add up that quickly, so public performances in Bricktown, in Oklahoma City came to an abrupt end. Be sure to check the statutes before beginning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello. My name is Sean and I like magic. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL