The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » 3D Magic Works (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

3D Magic Works is a new company founded by Kent Bergmann, who put out some incredible micro magic several years ago, but then - as rumor has it - ran into some issues with creators of similar wood props who felt he was copying their work. Long story short, he stopped creating his wood props. Which is a shame, as they were incredibly built props and equally devastating effects. You can see them here if you look to the earlier posts with wood props: http://www.martinsmagic.com/product-tag/kent-bergmann

That said, Mr. Bergmann is back, and back with a vengeance. He's taken his mojo and applied it to the 3D printing world and has killed. I have one prop in hand and love it, with several more on the way. The price is right. The quality is amazing. And his effects are just plain fun. And, so Tenyo-like. Hence this post. Enjoy.

https://www.3dmagicworks.com
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1908 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Kent can't get enough praise. 3D printing and micro magic is the future!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=30#10

Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=258

I've only bought one (for now!): What The Hole - it's affordable and better than the original Zebra Wood one Smile

By the way Kent is a VERY, very kind person to deal with ... .
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
So I now have close to a dozen of Kent's 3D Magic Work pieces and can honestly say I am blown away. Tenyo collectors, try one, any one. I doubt you will be disappointed. Kent has found a niche here and is quickly owning it...3D printed micro magic which does not look like toys. Or even sound like toys. These props handle like light- weight wood, and even look and feel like it. Not saying you can pass them off as wood, but they have more presence than plastic, which for me is a huge step up.

I have no affiliation with Kent or 3D Magic Works, I just want to see talented craftsmen be rewarding so they can get even better.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1908 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
What are your favourites Wizard? I have a list of this stuff I want but need to choose wisely Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
What the Hole, DomiGo, Breakout, 4 Square, and Dom Spots are my favorites in no particular order. What the Hole may be the biggest brain-fryer.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Wizard, I have several 3D Magic Works items as well (All of the top five you mentioned except Breakout)
Does Breakout use the method as other tricks of this type?
What The Hole is my top favorite!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hey kwarren!
Yes, I feel comfortable in saying that the method for Breakout is the same as previous versions of the same plot. But Kent's prop elevates the presentation to more of a mini-illusion, so I like that. And the props have some heft to them verses the majority of previous versions which were slimmed down. Which isn't bad. Actually quite good. But this version presents itself as a solidly built micro-illusion, where I believe the added "weight" and thickness actually give it credibility.

For the record, my favorite version of this prop is Colin Rose's interpretation: https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......lin-rose But yeah, there is a "tiny" price difference. For the money, Kent's version is taking a prop that has been seen as a "pocket trick" for decades, and elevating it to a new level for a very reasonable price.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1310 Posts

Profile of edshern
Just bought Cube 5150 and What The Hole.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Edshern, I do not own Cube 5150, but have other versions of this prop. I have no doubts that 3D will deliver the goods on this. And "What the Hole" is killer. It just is. If 3D Magic becomes as big as I hope it does, "What the Hole" will be that prop that will be seen as the doorway to the company's success.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1310 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Edshern, I do not own Cube 5150, but have other versions of this prop. I have no doubts that 3D will deliver the goods on this. And "What the Hole" is killer. It just is. If 3D Magic becomes as big as I hope it does, "What the Hole" will be that prop that will be seen as the doorway to the company's success.

FYI, 5150 is indeed Very clever. Does take some practice. But can not be examined.
These will never be collectible for their rarity, but for their style, construction, cleverness and price for what you get.
Ed
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Rarity - in this case - may be a bit subjective edshern, given these props are manufactured on demand.

If 3D Magic Works discontinues a prop, than voila! It is a collectible. Or, if that prop is changed because the manufacturing changes regarding process, or materials, does the old one become more valuable or less valuable?

I go back to my original dictum as a collector, "Collect what you love and your collection will always be worth something to you." That's what I do. And it's treated me well so far.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » 3D Magic Works (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL