The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant magic: hourly pay average rate? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
My opinions are based on working 3-4 times weekly at several restaurants for the past 15 years. Restaurants fail routinely as you are well aware. Maybe a change in strategy is in order. I don't know. What I do know is there is plenty of work out there. I recently turned down 2 more restaurant opportunities. My wife said she doesn't see me enough as it is.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2017, Rocky wrote:
The misconception that a restaurant hires entertainment on their "slow" night has been perpetuated for years!

Here's a recent quote from a restaurant owner's email: "Lets get together soon and see if we can get you in on an off time to help grow our business."

I'm happy that the restaurant owner is perpetuating his misconception.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I doubt hard and fast rules apply.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Slow night or not, I’d be very careful about claiming that a magician will grow the restaurant's business. It can happen but it depends on many factors.

As far as a rate goes, your first mistake was to ask magicians! I think I’ve told this story before but when I wanted to get into restaurants I asked the area magicians what I should charge. They told me whatever you do don’t ask for less than $50 per hour because that’s what we get and it wouldn’t be right for you to undercut us. I acquiesced. It was difficult but I was very aggressive and was finally successful at booking 3 restaurants for total of 6 nights at that rate.

Years later I found out those magicians who advised me were only making $30 to $35 per hour!! I think its fitting that I ended up making more as a newbie than the experienced magicians were at time!

This was 25 years ago. I am aware that there are many balloons artists working in restaurants for tips only these days. I still have two restaurants that I do regularly and I get much, much more than $50 per hour, plus tips. I don’t say this to brag but only to show you the sky is the limit---even if the majority of your competition is working for free!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I perform at 2 restaurants weekly. One pays $125 for the 2 hours and the other $150 for the 2 hours. I would think $100 for two hours is probably average. But I've had restaurants pay $200 for 2 hours. In my experience, the owners don't mind if you ask for a "raise" once you start bringing in the "magic junkies"

But at 43 years old, it's pretty exhausting for me. I was doing it in my 20s no problem. Started doing it again a few years ago (after 10 years off) and I was like, what the heck happened? Everything hurts now Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant magic: hourly pay average rate? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL