The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New misers dream: Clonk 3 - good for kids audiences? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, OK.

But, I thought that I was hiding "it" in plain sight! hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
402 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
If you want to keep a trick a secret, put it in a book without pictures of the effect.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2113 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Ah, the Miser's dream. An effect that's 188 years, 7 months, 1 week, 3 days and...(checks watch) 22 hours old. Smile It's one of the great classics of magic, like Mr. Oslund said mainly for it's showmanship and entertainment value. It's not going to amaze, baffle or astound anyone over the age of 6. The initial 1 or 2 deposits might throw people at first, but they'll quickly catch on as the routine progresses. But that's okay, because theyre laughing and enjoying the magician's patter and showmanship.

What Klonk3 does is it adds a bit of.....well, MAGIC to this magic trick. After doing the routine a bit---and everyone thinks they've got you figured out, now you place the bucket down and walk away, and have a little one throw in a coin----*klink*---the child takes out a coin. NOW the looks on the audiances faces are priceless. Now they really are thinking "Wha?? Waitaminnut....how...??" And (in my routine) the magician ALSO appears surprised & confused! So now the bucket is given to another to hold and another child throws the invisible coin---after a miss and a coin comes from the magician's mouth, the *clink* and coin happens again. I'm not going to say what I do for the finale, but the point is that this gizmo not only gives you more options, it also 'fixes' the main weak-point of the MD: that the magician always holds the pail.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
EVERY TRICK HAS A "WEAK" POINT.

The wise performer/magician, using PSYCHOLOGY covers that weak point.

The clonk also has a weak point. The audience KNOWS that the "trick" is in the "trick pail"

Of course, when one has paid $300 for the gimmick, one likes to THINK that the audience can't figure this.

BTW: Anyone who knows anything about magic, knows that the magic happens in the spectator's mind
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2113 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well....I do know a thing or two about magic, and yes, the magic does happen in the spectator's mind, but in my experience, the payoff is just a bit better when it also happens in the spectator's HANDS.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been BUSY, and haven't had time to respond, BUT I will!!

BTW, a big top has poles (center, quarter, and side POLES) not POSTS. --I have a "few" YEARS of EXPERIENCE with CIRCUSES, AND CARNIVALS as well as with MAGIC (performing, producing, and booking).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been BUSY, BUT, I do plan to return and continue this "discussion".

Meanwhile, I would suggest that with the clunk prop, the "magic" is not happening in someone's HANDS. --IMO, the "magic" is happening in the PAIL!

I've been DOING the MD since 1946, and, have had some fairly intelligent HIGH SCHOOL young people out front!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mighty Fool, sometimes I don"t think Dick reads posts well before he posts to them. He posts a lot here in many forums. When he is listening he provides good advice (usually), but he can be stuck in the past. His "hee, hee, hee" is unexcusable. He is treated like a god here and it can go to his head. As an example, watch members pile on me for saying this.

I change my mind on Klonk, as you use it, it is definatly a step up from the regular pail. I may buy it to upgrade my misers dreamm act.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You are certainly entitled to your own OPINIONS!

Alexander Pope, said, " 'Tis with our minds, as with our watches. None go just alike, but, each believes his own."

--But, I assure you that I DO read posts carefully, before I respond! Sometimes, I read and re-read a post several times, over several days, before I comment. Would you care to be more specific with an example?

I'm not sure that I quite understand your statement about "...can be stuck in the past." Would you care to provide an example?

I do think, before I suggest something, ("usually" --your word) or provide (a better word might be "offer") "good" advice. Would you like to provide an example, or two, of my offering bad advice!

I'm sorry that you don't like my expression (hee hee hee hee.) I use that instead of LOL, because I can't spell LOL --(heehee) The word, however, is "INexcusable" NOT, UNexcusable. (Prefixes have meanings)

T. Nelson Downs, early in his career, was appearing in an English theater, and, although advertised as a sleight of hand expert, he experimented at an early show in the booking, with a mechanical coin wand. The theater manager came backstage, and, politely asked Downs to stop using that mechanical wand, and stick to hand skills. Downs, wisely followed the advice of the manager, and never used the wand, again.

BTW, here is a bit of advice: "definitely" is not spelled definatly. (Perhaps your "spell check" is not functioning?!?!)

I respectfully suggest that if you think this gimmick will upgrade your MD, your MD must not be very strong. --THAT'S MY opinion.

It's apparent that you are serious about purchasing a "clonk"! (I noted that you are "looking to buy" one in the "Let's make a deal" forum.) If it's as great as you think it is, why do you suppose that anyone who has bought one, would want to dispose of it?

"The ball is now in your court!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Same here! I said what I said. You are entitled to your opinions. I did not attack YOU. I merely asked you to "back up" your accusations. I do not resort to "ad hominem(s).

Go spend your $300!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not know they did not get the 1st model right, so they made a 2nd model, and that must have had problems, because there is a version 3 now. I know I read a number of comments on the Café, that many were not satisfied and had problems with the 1st model. Do it are they building in, automatic failures to keep the cash flowing?

Electronics have always failed at the wrong time, what is your out if that happens?

Clonk was made for magicians, and to sell to magicians. They are the only ones that see the difference, not the audiences.

Note: Without the past, and those that gone before us, you would not have Clonk even created.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! You've summed it up very well, Bill!

WE stand on the shoulders of those magicians who 'trod the boards' before us!

Neil Foster used an Abbott GAFFED PAIL (with the NEIL FOSTER "extra gaffs!) here comes the BUT: As you'll remember, Bill, Neil didn't like body loads, and, he did not emphasize the pail, as so many of the current crop of "magicians" do. (See Yoo Toob!

Neil knew that he was doing a COIN trick, NOT, a PAIL trick!

I remember Bob McAllister's electronic (ANVERDI) table! He was booked for a club date on the Naval Air Station in Norfolk. The program was in a building LOADED with electronic equipment (radar, etc.) When he switched the table "on", he had to CHASE IT ALL OVER THE PLATFORM!
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
184 Posts

Profile of Endless West
So much passion over this.

It's actually a really great prop. And you guys keep talking about the pail, but the pail isn't gimmicked. You show the pail empty, coins appear with a sound inside, you dump the coins into someone's hands, and then show the pail empty.

Yes, the regular MD is fantastic too, but it doesn't happen in the spectators hands. This one does.
Some people obviously see that as a flaw and others see it as a benefit.

To say that the audience is going to suspect the pail is silly. Of course they are!! And then you show it empty and they're fried.
Audiences suspect things all the time that we then show to be a wrong guess on their part.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I like the idea of using as a regular pail, and at the end using it as in the video. I assume this is possible.
magomago
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of magomago
The bucket is not gaffed. Roman garcia has several applications, some for close up with a handkerchief and a crystal glass.
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Quote:
On May 6, 2017, Endless West wrote:
Yes, the regular MD is fantastic too, but it doesn't happen in the spectators hands. This one does.

Actually, Clonk doesn't seem to happen in the spectator's hands, it happens on their head or above their eye level. I assume it won't work if they hold it out in front of them and look inside. I think it is more accurate that it happens out of the magician's hands. To me, that seems more appealing to magicians (who know the method for Miser's Dream and know the magician need to be near the bucket) than spectators. What do you say when the spectator wants to look in the bucket when someone is throwing the coin? Any apparant limitation ("hold it up above your head in an unnatural position") becomes a tip to the method.

A regular Miser's Dream can be done in the spectator's hands. They can hold the bucket while the magician produces coins and tosses them in. The can toss a coin in a bucket held by the magician in the same position that Clonk is held by the spectator. Heck, you can do this while standing right in front the spectator dropping it in with the bucket below their eyesight. Really, when you think of it, the "in the spectator's hands" part is the tossing of the coin.

Quote:
On May 6, 2017, Endless West wrote:
To say that the audience is going to suspect the pail is silly. Of course they are!! And then you show it empty and they're fried.
Audiences suspect things all the time that we then show to be a wrong guess on their part.

The reason the pail is suspicious is the same reason that some think the pail is amazing - it is isolated from the magician. In that situation, all attention is on the pail. It really becomes like a brightly colored magic store prop that the audience thinks "if I had that magic pail I could do this too." My wife and son watched the video. Wife said, "is the pail expensive with all the electronics?" and son asked "cool pail, can you contol it with your iPhone?" I have no idea how the pail works, but its isolation eliminates out any other possible methods. Just for fun, I did a Google search for "magic coin pail held above head" and guess what came up first?
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
I agree with RealityOne. The one advantage of "Clonk" is negated by it looking like the bucket is magic, not you.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Dick, I must step in. Your memory is bad. You didn't have to do a search, you commented on my comment in the next post.l also said I changed my mind, which you read and commented on too.

STOP BEING A TROLL.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3528 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
In an attempt to get this back on track...

Clonk is designed for something you can't do with other methods. We could debate all day long who's "trick" is better, and that would be futile. I personally do an effect that combines the classic MD moves and the technology of Clonk.

As for debate on price, that is subjective as well. It is foolish to tell someone else that something is too expensive FOR THEM. You can say it is too expensive for yourself, but please, don't speak for David Copperfield or anyone else.

I personally didn't think this was too expensive for my use of it.

KJ
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8174 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, KJ, You are entitled to your OPINIONS, and, I'm entitled to mine!

BTW, neither you, nor I can DO an EFFECT, An EFFECT happens in the MIND of the SPECTATOR. (Go argue with Fitzkee, if you wish.)

I never said that the gaff was too expensive. I can well afford any prop that I want to USE. I merely think that spending 3 yards on a gaff like the CLONK, is a waste of money. If you want to spend that much for what I consider, to be a toy, go ahead.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New misers dream: Clonk 3 - good for kids audiences? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL