The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Beware Quinn's Auction Galleries / Waverly Rare Books (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I just had a terrible experience with them, so I thought I'd warn others.
During one of their recent auctions, I won a terrific magic lithograph that was already beautifully framed.
Prior to any bidding, I had e-mailed with the owner of the auction house to confirm that the frame was included in the sale. (You can never be too careful.) Well, you can imagine my surprise and disappointment when I showed up to collect my poster but the frame was nowhere to be seen.
I was told that their policy is to remove all artwork from the frames. (They admitted that said policy does not show up anywhere in writing.) It seems that all of the frames were thrown out after the unframing. (They also suggested that the frames were likely destroyed in the unframing process.)

So there I am, holding my poster NOT in an expensive looking frame, but in a plastic sleeve, when things got even worse! I was told that they couldn't let me take the sleeve/backer board, so I would have to remove the unmounted, 100 year old poster and bring it home unprotected. (They didn't have any tubes that I could use, and after spending that sort of money, it never occurred to me that I'd have to bring my own shipping supplies for an in-person pick up.

Since they couldn't offer me any sort of discount for the missing frame, and I didn't think transporting it home unprotected in a car with two occasionally unruly children under the age of 5 was a good idea, I told them to keep the poster tore up my check.

It was disappointing, and frustrating, but not nearly as bad as it would have been if I'd won all 6 lots (11 total posters) that I'd been bidding on!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5350 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Doing "business" like that will ensure they are not around for long. This is a small community and people talk. Saving a couple of bucks on a sale while losing a customer who may spend hundreds more down the road, is naive and ignorant.

I spend quite a bit at auctions. I shall avoid this gallery like the plague.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Wow! I had no idea they have such a bad reputation! Terrible.

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
They have MANY bad reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/quinns-auction-......s-church
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Why on earth would they remove artwork from the original frame? If they are going to do this as a policy, it should be posted somewhere in writing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Beware Quinn's Auction Galleries / Waverly Rare Books (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL