The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Torn and Restored Mismade Bill (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just ran across this on Abbott's Magic website, and thought some members might be interested.

Looks like good quality printing, and the price seems great $3.00.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Torn-Restored......0753.htm

The Performer displays a realistic playbill, which is then torn in quarters. The performer now attempts to restore this, but when restored, the bill is "inside out", with the corners in the middle, and the middle in the corners. Each packet has a dozen "regular bills", three "mismade" bills, (in case you wish to hand out a couple as souvenirs), and instructions.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
They look good and the price is good, but is the feel good? For myself, my skin is very dry, and TT-bill switches are difficult, and much worse if printed onto typical copying paper.

Yet, this raises the idea of printing your own mismades, which has been discussed on other threads (including the type of paper to use).

Another route, to avoid people worried that the bill may be "fake", is to work with Monopoly money. Sankey introduce this idea, and it allows handing the bill out (to keep), and no concern if the spectator realizes that the paper is not the same as actual money.

FWIW: I recommend printing onto a "linen" resume type paper; it has more texture, and helps with the switch (but I still need to apply something to my hands first)

John

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In the 1970's printed fake money was uses a lot in magic tricks. The nice thing, for the trick I referenced above, is that you can give the bills away, and it does not cost you #12 to $15 to give them away. My experience is that people will still keep them.

Also this these bills are good practice bills to use for the classic effect.

The printing looks nice. If you want bills to look more realistic, why I don't now, but burn some paper or smoke as cigarette and same the ash. Then rub the ash over the bill and it will look more like a real bill.

Of course I realize this is not for everyone, as many only want to use the real bills, and that is their prerogative to do and be as organic as they desire.

RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
28 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
Folks , buy a real mismade Bill. You need to hand it out and no printed bill will feel the same as a real one. You will be challenged for switching. Also research and learn a no TT Bill switch. I learned it from the dealer I bought my mismade Bill from. I frankly think it is much easier and doesn't have any " odd" moves. As an added bonus you are always ready. I carry my folded mm Bill in my wallet and am always ready to amaze. This is a great effect with great responses. Always a hit! Best of luck.
Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ray, this is not about the mismade bill transformation, it is about the torn and restored bill. Just another version.

I don't know many 12 year olds or teenagers that can afford to buy, tear up real money, or hand out $15 bills to people.

I guess you were much richer then me growing up.

This is a great deal to practice with as well.

I don't believe in handing money to strangers, I guess that is where we differ as well.

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Am I missing something?

If you tore a bill in quarters and restored it in missmade fashion, the edges of the bill should be ragged, not smooth like this gaff. It gaff doesn't make sense in a torn presentation.

Anyway, torn edges is the way I've always done this idea, but I make my own with real money.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
True, but who sells such a beast?

Another reason why I like Sankey's idea of using Monopoly money: no one is going to ask you if its "real", you can make up your own with any embellishments you want.. all with minimal cost, even if you give it away. Of course this may not be appropriate for corporate audiences..

John
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
882 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
John, Dan Harlan sells a version of a signed TNR mismade bill. I also have one coming out as well with Dan's permission. I HIGHLY recommend his version. It's called Crazy Cash
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2621 Posts

Profile of John Long
JJM:

I thought Crazy Cash was based upon Crazy Eights, and both came out years ago, no? Or is this something different? and how is your version different than Dan's?

I believe I have both (at least a version of them), from Dan's "Harlan Live" (a wonderful project). However, the gimmick/gaff would be expensive to make. But, as above, I could justify it using my self-printed Monopoly money. Yet, if someone has a well paying gig, Crazy Cash would be a real stunner.

Still, I appreciate the reminder of this effect, and think it would be good for me to explore its use via my printer Smile

John
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
882 Posts

John: That's correct. Crazy Cash was the bonus effect with Crazy 8s. As for my version it's called Ripped and Relocated. One fourth of a signed bill is ripped off and restored in a different location. It ends with a very weird souvenir. It was based off of Dan's concept, but the gimmick is a bit cheaper to make. Plus due to the way it's made you're actually able to get back part of your investment

Here's a video of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRmQZxBgpRS/
Check out my magic here:

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

JJM,

Is it the video not showing it clearly or do the tears not match? And if the tears don't match, isn't that a problem if they get the bill as a souvenir?
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
882 Posts

Hey Dave. The tears do match, however to be fair, in the video I had to do a few takes to make sure the lighting looked right and that was my last gimmick, so it slipped right by me. Here is a photo to show you how it looks when done correctly
Check out my magic here:

Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted some Perverse Magic torn and restored bill on the Perverse Magic of the Genii Forum.

One can borrow and dollar, tear it, crumple the pieces and say you will restore it and when it is opened it is the mismade bill.

Shrug - like you don't understand, take out your wallet and give the lender another dollar bill.

(Then go home and tape the torn bill.)
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Oh, ok...makes a lot more sense now. Smile.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Torn and Restored Mismade Bill (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL