The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can anyone recommend best card to wallet? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
improver
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of improver
Hi

I am big into card magic and have only recently realised I love packet tricks, in doing that I started to look for a wallet to keep my packet tricks in. That is when I came across lots of seemingly miracle card to wallet, wallets.

So I was wondering can anyone recommend any, the effects on all of those I have seen appear good but.

But can anyone recommend one that ends clean, where the wallet is inspectable? Or are they all essentially gaffed wallets?

For example JOL SMALL PLUS WALLET BY JERRY O’CONNELL AND PROPDOG looks interesting, but then so do any number of 'hip wallets'.

Any thoughts advice and recommendations would be welcomed.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Want the best of both worlds, get Real Mans Speed Loader.
http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/r......der.html

Yes, you'll need to learn how to palm a card.

Dave
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
May I suggest it is not necessary to have an "inspect-able" wallet? If you are doing it right, there should be no need...or even interest...on the audiences part to see the wallet.

That way, you can concentrate on the criteria that matters to you. Do you want to palm a card? Have a no-palm version? Have a wallet that allows you to have the card end up in an envelope inside the wallet? Do you want work casual close up, so a hip-pocket style might work better? Or do you want to work with a jacket that allows you a more formal (and larger) wallet?

There are TONS of wallets out there, but I'd recommend that you start narrowing them down based on how you want to use it...not worry about people inspecting it...and go from there.
improver
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of improver
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2017, Boomer wrote:
Want the best of both worlds, get Real Mans Speed Loader.
http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/r......der.html

Yes, you'll need to learn how to palm a card.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for taking the time to reply and make a recommendation, I will look into that one.

I will add learning to palm to my to learn list. ;-)

Thanks again
improver
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of improver
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
May I suggest it is not necessary to have an "inspect-able" wallet? If you are doing it right, there should be no need...or even interest...on the audiences part to see the wallet.

That way, you can concentrate on the criteria that matters to you. Do you want to palm a card? Have a no-palm version? Have a wallet that allows you to have the card end up in an envelope inside the wallet? Do you want work casual close up, so a hip-pocket style might work better? Or do you want to work with a jacket that allows you a more formal (and larger) wallet?

There are TONS of wallets out there, but I'd recommend that you start narrowing them down based on how you want to use it...not worry about people inspecting it...and go from there.

Hi Dave

You are probably right, I think I just have a bit of a thing about things being inspectable. But you are probably right I should not worry too much about it.

I'm still learning, so at the moment I only really do tricks for friends, family and people I happen to come into contact with at work (not at a magician, that's my future job when I'm a lot better ;-) ). My goal with magic is to be good enough to be a wedding magician, particularly close up magic. So with that in mind I could probably get away with a larger wallet as if working at a wedding I will be wearing a jacket, however the rest of the time I never wear a jacket in fact I wear a black t-shirt (looks smarter than it sounds) and I actually had someone I do tricks for comment last night that she prefers my tricks because I always have short sleeves (She seems to think magicians with long sleeves must be hiding something bless her, she is actually the dream spectator as her reactions are ace do a simple colour change and she is amazed bless her!) But she does tend to want to look at the cards, thankfully I don't tend to use gimmicks (certainly nothing I could easily be caught out for). So am always happy for her to look at the cards.

So maybe it is because I am so used to performing for friends like that who like to look at everything, that makes me super keen to only use things that can be inspected.

To answer your questions though, do I want to palm a card. I am not particularly bothered, I want to be able to produce an effect in as undetectable manner as possible without getting caught. If to achieve that I have to learn to palm then I will have to do that, if there is an alternative method I will consider that too. I have seen some no palm wallets online, I have never seen any of these gaffed wallets in the flesh.

It is sounding like I might need to get more than one.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Let me guess, next you'll want resources on how to palm a card?

I'm kidding of course, there are quite a few.

Allan Ackerman, Advanced Card Control Vol. 1
Aaron Fisher, Pathways to Mastery Lesson 9
Bob White, Practical Card Palming
Jason England, Palming Fundamentals
John Carney, On Palming

I'm partial to Allan Ackerman for reasons that go beyond magic.
(I also agree completely with David, I've never had anyone ask to inspect my wallet)

Dave
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Improver, if you're in the Northern California Bay Area, I can show you a lot of different wallets, it's a sickness that I have (and very likely a lot of other magicians as well)

Dave
JG
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of JG
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2017, improver wrote:
Hi

I am big into card magic and have only recently realised I love packet tricks, in doing that I started to look for a wallet to keep my packet tricks in. That is when I came across lots of seemingly miracle card to wallet, wallets.

So I was wondering can anyone recommend any, the effects on all of those I have seen appear good but.

But can anyone recommend one that ends clean, where the wallet is inspectable? Or are they all essentially gaffed wallets?

For example JOL SMALL PLUS WALLET BY JERRY O’CONNELL AND PROPDOG looks interesting, but then so do any number of 'hip wallets'.

Any thoughts advice and recommendations would be welcomed.

You may find this interesting.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
"PANTHERA - Improve and Develop Your Mentalism" by Jack Goldstein - a large hard backed limited edition book of mentalism, over 30 top contributors, with professional effects and essays.

Buy it now through Michael Murray at MindFX: https://www.mindfx.co.uk/

Lulu.com
https://www.lulu.com/shop/jack-goldstein/panthera/hardcover/product-m9w6w9.html?page=1&pageSize=4
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Since you don't mind a larger, more formal wallet, one you might look at is a BMK Wallet. The "BMK" stands for Balducci, Kapps, Mullica and refers to favorite styles of wallets popularized by those 3 performers that are combined into one wallet.

The point is BMK wallets have a no-palm feature, as well as a palming-reliant approach that lets a selected card appear in just the wallet or in a sealed envelope. The no-palm approach could get you started and you could add the palming when you get more proficient.

There are so many wallets on the market its hard to keep track...and I'm sure that there are others that do similar things, but a BMK Wallet it not a bad way to start. That said, they are more complicated in construction and hence more pricey, though I didn't pay much for mine on ebay.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

BTW, be sure to do a search for "Wallets"on the Café...there are a number of recommendation threads that will be helpful...assuming it doesn't become overwhelming. Smile
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
I wouldn't worry about people inspecting your wallet. If they ask, just say "Can I have yours?"
I think it's completely reasonable for a spectator to want to inspect some coins or cards or the like, but when something has more value like a $100 bill or your wallet, people are less likely to ask to inspect it. Make sure to keep some credit cards and cash in it. It 'sells' the idea that it's just a normal wallet, and makes people less likely to ask to see it.

I've done a few different card to wallets, both gaffed wallets and use-your-own wallets. It really boils down to what you want to do with the wallet. Are you only going to use it to store packets and card-to-wallet? You're going to most likely want a gaffed wallet (keeps the packets hidden so you can do card to wallet, unless you don't mind them seeing the packets). Are you going to want other wallet tricks down the line, like Kolossal killer or others? You're going to want more pockets. Also, do you want signed card to wallet or just card to wallet? There are several ways to do an unsigned card to wallet with any wallet.

For gaffed, I have a real man's wallet. It's pretty good, but I'm really picky about my leather. I use a handmade saddle leather wallet for my everyday wallet because I don't like the quality of wallets you find in department stores. The Real Man's wallet is the same quality you'd find in most department stores. It looks and feels like a normal wallet. It's a bit thick for a bifold because of the pocket, but the pocket is where the card ends up. If you're fine with department store wallets, then this one is great for you. My only real complaint is the same complaint I have with most wallets, and that's probably just me being picky.

For use your own wallets, I have used Leatherbound by Dave Forrest. It's pretty good as well, but the requirements make my wallet a bit thicker than I like, so I only have it when I know I am going to perform it, i.e. not an everyday carry. If anyone's curious, the handmade wallet I use everyday is an Anchor Bifold from San Filippo Leather.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Jljones83 raised a good point, which I forgot to mention...there are several approaches that use any wallet.

As mentioned, Dave Forest's has one: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16326

Joshua Jay has one: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4230

and Jeff Kaylor: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2546

I am sure reviews of those are available on the Café.
Joe Conry
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Joe Conry
Guts by Paul Harris. Only way to go. Use any wallet. Signed card is pushed into the deck. Empty hand holding deck goes straight to wallet, card is now there. BEST THERE IS!!!!
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Wow. thanks for sharing some tricks. now I wouldnt be an ass like I did yesterday lol
Hudson Lee
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Hudson Lee
Any thoughts on the quiver card to wallet?
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Renee Lavands "quento de la rosa". Just beautiful and using a regular Wallet.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I'm a fan of the Badger Wallet found here
http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/effects.htm
It has both a palm and no palm feature and the quality is second to none.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have the original Mullica wallet billfold style I have used this for at least 20 years with the autograph routine best ever !! Just my opinion
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Craigers
I have the JOL SMALL PLUS WALLET BY JERRY O’CONNELL AND PROPDOG. Thoroughly recommended. If you buy from Propdog, get some Bonsalopes. These are brilliant and make signed card to sealed envelope in wallet a breeze. I also recommend you get yourself an Extractor from Alakazam. You will then have at your fingertips a beautiful and stunning piece of magic.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Isn’t it amazing? The OP asked for a recommendation for the best card to wallet. Many various answers, which should be an indication that ‘best’ is only from ones own perception.
All the wallets mentioned are well worth their price. There is no ‘best’ over all other wallets, there is only a best wallet for each individual. Sometimes an individual will have to go through purchasing a few different types of wallets to find their best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Can anyone recommend best card to wallet? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL