The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking Rings: Proline Vs Owens (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1431 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dan! No, I haven't found the time to do it in the way that I think it requires...maybe I just have to rethink how I should do it... maybe less detail(?)

anyway, it IS still on my list of things to get to...
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dan David
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Dan David
I have been using the same set of rings since 1974, ten inch rings that I believe were made by Rings n Things, and they are wonderful. I later added a "special" ring that I believe was made by D.A. Tayade of India. I decided it might be time to get a back-up set, and when I looked at rings at Abbott's Magic Co (Where I got my set in 1974) the prices were incredibly low, not much more than what I paid 45 years ago. Also, they have stainless steel rings. The price is so low that it seems like there has to be a catch. Anybody have any idea what is going on? How is this possible? And does anyone have any idea where I could buy a really decent of ten inch rings? Rings n Things (despite their name) does not seem to manufacture linking rings, and Tayade does seem to have the "special" ring in his catalog. Any thoughts/ideas/opinions will be appreciated.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The Abbotts Linking rings are manufactured by Fun Inc. if that helps.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, thomasR wrote:
The Abbott's Linking rings are manufactured by Fun Inc. if that helps.

Making statements like that without clarity is dangerous. Abbott's many now, within the last several years, sell Fun Inc. but when the poster is speaking of Abbott's from the 1970's to the 1940's, they most certainly made their own Linking Rings and props.

Greg Bordner told me a couple times, he would rather not manufacturer their own products, but just buy wholesale. After his father passed away, that is what he slowly converted to. Of course the countries recessions helped push it forward.

I spent many Saturday's at Abbott's. Me and a magician friend went to Abbott's so he could purchase Abbott's Linking Rings in 1970.

Owen magic does not make their Owen rings, they contract to have a metal shop make them. When I was there, Les Smith took me on a tour, there was no metal shop, just a wood shop.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Umm... it’s listed right on Abbott’s Magic website? I said “are made” not “were made” - I highly doubt the OP was confused by what I was saying.

As to your example with Owen... they are still Owens rings... Owens is not buying someone else’s rings, they are having a metal shop manufacture them to their specifications if that is indeed what they are doing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Umm... it’s listed right on Abbott’s Magic website? I said “are made” not “were made” - I highly doubt the OP was confused by what I was saying.

As to your example with Owen... they are still Owens rings... Owens is not buying someone else’s rings, they are having a metal shop manufacture them to their specifications if that is indeed what they are doing.

Using such words as "are" and "were" is not clear on an International Website.

And yes that is what I said concerning Owens Magic. I never said they were never Owens rings, just that they did not have a machine shop, and shopped out the Linking Rings.

They also hire Mexican immigrants and paid them $10, at the time I was there, they were cutting out jumbo wood 3 Card Monte. This was in 1981.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of thomasR
$10 an hour was good money in 1981. Good for them!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking Rings: Proline Vs Owens (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL