The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mandatory Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisMcHugh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ChrisMcHugh
Hello Folks!

I joined this forum literally 3 minutes ago and I am merely doing the mandatory Forum "I'm New" post! I have literally being interested in performing magic for about a year and only really learning now - I've pretty much been a lurker for a while and just thought I'd get signed up! I'll use the search function and check out the forum for beginners but I apologise in advance that I am likely to asked a question or two that you are all sick of hearing from "newbs"!

Chris Smile
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Mandatory welcome!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Seconded
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thirded
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Looks like we have our quorum.

Dave
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome ChrisMcHugh,

As long as you try and use the search first, you are forgiven.

You did not mention what kinds of Magic you are into.

What drew you into performing Magic.

-Mary Mowder
ChrisMcHugh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ChrisMcHugh
Hi Folks, thank you for the welcome!

I have loved Magic for a very long time, since I was a kid like everyone does at that age I s'pose. I learnt last year that we have a pretty good local magic scene and I came to realise that it was something I would really love to do. I can't explain why I didn't try before now cause I have always loved seeing shows. Anyway in April LAST year I picked up a deck of cards and tried to learn some stuff, and a couple of weeks later I saw that MagicCon was happening really close to my home - I attended the full weekend - I met the likes of Shane Cobalt, Roberto Giobbi, and John Lenahan. All of whom where really brilliant, especially to a complete non-
magician such as myself. I attended Shane Colbalts "An Evening with Erdnase" where he takes you through TEATCT. It was information overload, and then I bought far too many books - TEATCT, 13 Steps, Paul Daniel's Adult Magic, Derren Brown books, just for example. I bought DVD's and lecture notes. I was foolish and just tried to do everything all at once. So I became rather overwhelmed and I stopped.

Then in recent weeks I decided I wanted to learn again. I love card magic and mentalism which I guess can mix well! As I say, I am a complete beginner so I am focusing mainly on card magic for now.

I amn't expecting to become a professional magician, but I would love to perform the odd show, table hopping at events and the like.

Chris Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, with a name like McHugh, ye must be a "wearer of the kilt". You're in good company: Jay Marshall, Pat Page, John Ramsay, Billy McComb, Faucett Ross, et al!

Suggest that you pick up a copy of Jean Hugard's "Royal Road To Card Magic". It's still in print after about 60 years, AND, it's now available PHREE!--in pdf, I think. (Ask around in the card forum, someone will know.)

There are a gezillion books and dvds on cards (you have, no doubt, realized THAT, by now!

I'm certainly not a cardician, but, I've been privileged to know most of the top card men of the past 50 years (men like Elmsley, LePaul, Ricky Jay, Marlo, Racherbaumer,Charlie Miller, et al.

Years ago, I was mentoring a 17 year old Jeff Helding. I recommended RRCM. He read it, and never felt the need for any other!

Yr's, 'til the deck is shuffled!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ChrisMcHugh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ChrisMcHugh
Thank you for the suggestion! I think I will add RRCM to my book shelf! So many people have suggested it too me! So I'll get on to that.

However I am not a wearer of the kilt - I am Irish though so not far off. Smile
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Welcome!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mandatory Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL