The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Disappointed.. need advice. (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
~Hal~

Sorry that it has taken me two days to respond to your most articulate post!

You have justified my philosophy! It is rare, these days, to meet a young man of your years, who can express himself so well!

In terms of those "wisdom and experience years" I sincerely believe that you ARE older.

Heqq! I'm only 85. I should be 86, but, I was sick a year!!! One of my maxims has been, for years: "When you are through learning--you're through"! That's one of the reasons that I bought Ken Weber's "Making Magic Entertaining" book. --And, I picked up several useful ideas!

I simply MUST drive down to Chicago (while they still allow me to drive!). I would like to meet you in person! It would certainly be a fruitful meeting.

It would be great to meet Nathan Colwell, also! About ten years ago, I spent an afternoon with David Seebach. He paid me very well to share my routine for the Misers Dream. After several hours of discussing "my thinking" about the MD, and, "walking through it, David said, "Ya can't rehearse this!!!" I said, "That's right! You must use your SHOWMANSHIP & EXPERIENCE IN WORKING WITH KIDS!"

In addition to the check that he gave me that day, he voluntarily sends, a "residual" check every few months! David understands!

I must get dressed to leave for Mass. It's not only Sunday, it's April 30. (70 years since I met Stuart Ross, my first mentor.)

Again, my sincere thanks for your very thoughtful post.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
...when the diatribe began. (I didn't start it!)

Really? Let's recap. Dana was minding her own business, on topic, trying to help the OP by saying:

Quote:
Dana wrote;
The Mark Wilson course is $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Comp......in+magic

There is a ton of magic in there that will last your son years and years.

Nothing at all wrong with that post. Yet, as he likes to do, Dick follows me around and criticizes me for no good reason, yet again, for the umpteenth time:

Quote:
Dick wrote:
You should be aware (being new to "magic") that:

Dana, in her enthusiasm, uses terms rather loosely.

Magic does not come, "by the ton". Magic only happens in the mind(s) of the spectator(s).

There I was, minding my own business, until Dick started with this stuff, yet again. He didn't have to mention me at all. Didn't have to address my post. Didn't have to be critical. Yet, he just can't help it.

The rest of what he wrote...

Quote:
There are people who are invincibly ignorant, and people who are intellectually dishonest...

I have nothing to apologize for! The person who "stalks" me, has IMO, a very sophomoric knowledge of magic.

I am not "anti amateurs". I just don't have much use for those who call themselves magicians, but, are just guys/girls who know how some tricks are done!

...is just gratuitously insulting. As for who is stalking, see above.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I don't mean to be disrespectful but I think I can speak for the majority here.
We really don't care anymore. This is not second grade. We need to grow up and be professional.
Unfortunately egos and pride get in the way so good luck with that.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On May 1, 2017, davidpaul$ wrote:
I don't mean to be disrespectful but I think I can speak for the majority here.
We really don't care anymore. This is not second grade. We need to grow up and be professional.
Unfortunately egos and pride get in the way so good luck with that.

Actually, I'm 100% with you on that. Egos and pride get in the way. I will try to put mine aside now.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
So lpmorgens, did you ever get that Rabbit Wringer thing worked out?

I am quoting myself now because I truly am interested in this answer. Haven't heard from the OP in awhile and am wondering if the problem was resolved.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As Jack Benny said in his classic hold up man bit, "I'm thinking it over!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm still thinking.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Hey,
Where did ~Hal~ go?

Lol!
Ihor
~Hal~
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ~Hal~
~Hal~ Returns...

Minding your own business, Dana? Nothing at all wrong with your post? Dick follows you around? I think we need to clarify just a bit.

This is a public internet forum. The only place you can "mind your own business" here is inside a PM. Throwing out a post for the world to see is not, by any means, "minding your own business".

Nothing at all wrong with your post? Yeah, I guess dabblers and, as Mr. Oslund put it, SPAM, would find no problem with your post. But, people who care about the art of magic and are truly magicians should have an issue with it.

Oh, and as for Dick "following you", and "not needing to respond to your post", I would beg to differ. We are, as I reminded you, on a public online forum. I would feel he simply posts a correction for your erroneous use of terminology wherever he sees it. He does this pretty much everywhere you see the terminology used loosely.

And as for your feeling that Dick did not have to mention you, I would disagree with this also. How could he correct the erroneous use of terminology otherwise? The OP is not the only one who would read it. Hundreds of Café members would. Some of them beginners trying to get a good start, which, would be hindered by inaccurate use of the terminology. And lots of lurkers too. I was a lurker for years. The bottom line is, that if it stands uncorrected, hundreds of people will read it without giving a second thought to the proper terminology that you are not using. Which, simply would not do.

Oh, and Dana, I thought you said you weren't coming back?

And, Ihop, I took your post to be my Bat Signal~ I hope you were not hoping against my return!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Sorry about that.
I didn't mean for that to happen.
Ihor
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
There goes the neighborhood.

Dave
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
What fun - forum started out with a father asking(?) for advise for his son - now its complain here - praise there - slam here - what happened to JUST advise. So heres my 2 cents. I mostly advise youngesters- with a story of a good friend of mine Jose Frackson--Many knew him at SAM #22 - he went to do a gig at a night club - when the owner saw Jose only had a SMALL case(lunch box size) the owner said NO WAY - Jose asked for just 1 night- OK - Jose went on - and did 20 minutes with coins -card-thimbles- cigarettes(now tootsi roles or chalk)sponge balls- - the Club owner gave him six weeks at TOP $$$. -SO you don't need BIG Expensive props to be a succes in Magic. Ralph (russo) Rousseau
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Lpmorgens,
I agree with Danas' "Yikes" post.
It looks completely worthless.

If this was advertised "like new" then that's totally wrong.
I would insist on the seller completely reimbursing you.
Was this paid by PayPal? eBay purchase? Forum purchase?
There may be solutions depending on where and how it was purchased.
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ralph!

A few eons ago, SOCRATES gave ADVICE, and, they poisoned him!
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Last words of Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Dave
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
So why are We still here? --L-O-L "THE END" Ralph
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
With a few days to contemplate, I believe that ~Hal~ has expressed it very well. ~Hal's~ objectivity is absolutely great.

I have PMd ~Hal~, and thanked him for his concern. I told him that, "...if I ever need an attorney, your name is on top of the list!"

In college, I learned never to use "ad hominem" in an argument.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Are we still going on with this crap?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No. That was just a thank you to ~Hal~. I don't need to say any more.
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, lpmorgens wrote:
Hi all. My son is a young magician who created a really cute act for his rabbits that requires a Rabbit Wringer. On a budget, we looked into used equipment. We found what we thought we be a great box to start with since it was described (verbatim) as: "(Like New) inside and (Very Good) outside. Only used a few times." Anyhow, the attached is what we got, and it does not look to match the description at all. There was an image on the site where we got it, but it did not reflect any of the damage we see in person.

Here's the dilemma: We were told that we have to lose the shipping cost we paid (and we cannot afford that)... Since I am feeling like the item was misrepresented by the seller, I think the seller should pay the shipping I paid.. since I only paid it because I thought I was getting something that was "only used a few times." Anyhow, the site asked me how much I think the seller should reimburse me to keep the Rabbit Wringer.

Now, I have to decide what it is worth. We're new to this, and I really don't know what a box in this condition is worth, what someone would actually pay for it given the extensive repair it needs. I would love to get some opinions from more experienced magicians who have purchased used equipment.

The images are too large to upload, so here is a link to the images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrOIj......udGwxdG8

If you double-click an image, you can see it better
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Disappointed.. need advice. (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL