We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » First public straitjacket escape! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5043 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just performed the straitjacket last night at my school's Student-Teacher Talent Show. The teen-age audience loved it (especially the crotch strap bit!), but I have to say, I've learned that the straitjacket is a younger person's game! I woke up this morning with a very sore shoulder, and what I hope is only a sprain.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all their great advice and help, and I hope I can return the favor some day.

Jack Shalom
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Jack,

Excellent stuff!! Well done ....

When's the next one? Smile

James.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
CONGRATULATIONS JACK!!!
I know you did us all proud. And don't worry about the soreness. I still get sore after each escape, but you sort of get used to it.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Good show, Jack! You're a braver man than me!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5043 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks! I'm glad the shoulder seems to be healing. I didn't want to have to go to a doctor. I mean what am I supposed to tell him the problem was? "Uhh, I twisted my arm while I was getting out of my straitjacket . . ."

And then he would reply, "Uhh, yes, there seems to be a lot of that going around lately . . ." Smile

Jack
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
That's true Jack, I wonder how many people on this board have had "interesting" encounters at the doctors office when asked "...and exactly how did this happen?"
I'll bet there are some great "war stories" out there. I heard a few great stories at Indy last year. Maybe Shawn will honor us one day with the story of the "shopping cart incident" In the mean time, anyone else have any good injury stories out there?
best regards, Tony Parisi
Markdini
View Profile
New user
Peterborough UK
52 Posts

Profile of Markdini
I have a doctor related incident. The first time I was showing my mum how I got out of my straitjacket the phone wrang. My mum answered it and looked at me and said its for you. She held the phone to my ear as I had to talk to the doctor about my ashma, the whole time him not knowing his patient on the other end of the line was in a straitjacket. When my mum put the phone down she had a huge laughing fit at what had just happened. Needless to say its a story she never got tired of telling!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
One of my first straitjacket escapes for the pulic
was in Oakland California on 2/22/1967.I did it to
get publicity for a benefit show I was doing for my
Church.Went world wide,news papers,television,Movie
news reels.Check it out!
Go to Web,Type in British Pathe News...When page shows
Go to first category,bring it up...type in Steve Baker
and see what happens! HISTORY...His Story

Steve Baker,MR. ESCAPE
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
Contratulations!
What straitjacket did you perform with? Any pictures of the show?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5043 Posts

Profile of landmark
I used a medium-sized Humane Straitjacket with a clip-type crotch strap. I found that by soaking it in fabric softener overnight, and running it through the wash cycle with fabric softener, again, four times, the canvas became soft enough to allow quite a bit of manipulation through the canvas. The jacket is big enough on me to be able to be pulled over my head without having to unbuckle any of the back straps. That was the thing I was most worried about, so I was glad to see that I wouldn't have to do any unbuckling of the back straps.

We had someone taking a video of the whole show, but I probably won't be able to see it for a few weeks, as school is closed for the Easter vacation. I'm sure I'll be able to learn a lot about presentation from reviewing the tape and seeing what plays and what doesn't.

But I think I'm going to retire the jacket for a while, or save it for my growing 10 year old son. Like I said, I think I'm getting too old for this (half a century old!) Maybe there are other aspects of escapology that are less physically demanding--or is that a pipe dream?

Jack
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Jack, don't stop the jacket mate! If I were you I'd learn some shoulder exercises instead, that way your shoulders will get more supple and you can continue to fly the flag for escapology.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Keep it up Jack! You could also work on facial expressions more and movements less. The more you steal up front, the less you work at it in the end.

Give it more time. You will get used to it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehehe Funny straight jacket story.. bought a new one which had arms a bit too long for me... so, being a pastor and seeing that the sewing ladies were assembled, I took my new possession over and asked if they could alter it for me. After the expected comments and giggles they strapped me in, tucked, pinned and marked the needed changes. Needless to say the news of the pastor being helped into a straight jacket by the ladies of the church spread like wild fire! The only part they didn't like was knowing that on July 4th their pastor was going to be swinging from a crane by his ankles in the town park as he escapes from the jacket. Hehehe
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Many congrats, Jack! I remember my first straitjacket escape. The only thought going through my mind was "What in the h*** am I doing?!" Now, I dress like a vampire and hang upside down like a bat during the Halloween season doing suspended straitjackets. Be careful....it's addictive!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » First public straitjacket escape! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL