The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ANYTHING by Ben Williams (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I purchased this last night, and had a look through this morning.

What do you get?

An 1 hour 40 min detailed video of the effect, overview, history, credits, live performances, and variations.

Price?

10 GBP

Format?

Download

Anything is Ben used to be called MO FO, Williams, guess not anymore, on an old principle with updated handlings and variations.

As I was viewing it, I was thinking of Looch, and a routine he shared on his Penguin Live 2, which is very similar to this.

I was happy that Ben credits Looch, and gives him a nod, as well as Jay Sankey, and Richard Sanders, since the inspiration mainly came from these two gentlemen.

The routine is quick, simple to understand, hard to backtrack, and easy to execute.

If you are a beginner, you need to put in practice, but if you are experienced, then you should have no problem.

I was already doing a version of this, and have done for a few years, and what I like about this download/project is the depth that Ben goes over to make sure you have everything, from the overview, to performances(3) total, and to the history of the original effect, which I have also done, to variations, and ways to make this different and unique.

Its like you were taking a Mini MasterClass with Ben on the subject.

This download is worth 10 GBP, heck its worth at least $20 USD, but I consider it to be underpriced to be honest.

Ben could have easily explained everything in 15-20 min download, but he took time and dedication to go through all the fine bits and details.

He even teaches you how to do this over the radio, as well as his Any Word BookTest, which uses the Anything effect.

All in all, this is something that you get a lot of bang for your buck, and your mind will be thinking of ideas on how to best utilize this.

As for the routine itself, or the revelation, as well. Ben goes over several variations, on revelations, ideas on how to make this different, and the importance of the scripting of the routine so its just not a stunt, but rather an experience.

I congratulate Ben on this release, and urge everyone that likes to learn updated versions of old plots to take a look at this.

A great project that is detail oriented, worthy of study, and hats off to the giants that came before Ben for crediting.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Where can I purchase it?
What is the effect?.
Sleepy
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
You can read more about it here

www.originalmagic.co.uk

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hi Alex,

Thank you for the review. Much appreciated, I am glad that you feel it was a worthy investment.

Just a quick note, it is being sold for £10 for the next 24hours tomorrow it goes up to the full price of £15 (more like $20) after the whole Easter weekend finishes. I will pop on here every once in a while so if anyone has a question please ask away, I am always happy to help however possible.

Best,

Ben
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
A couple of reviews for Anything! These were from a promotion on my subscribers list so they did not pay, it was just a competition but I asked for an honest review, do with that info what you will!

Thanks!

Anything is an amazing tutorial based on a classic principle reworked for a modern era. The effect itself is easy to learn and is suitable for all skill levels. Ben as always is a great teacher who covers everything from the basics to the other nuances of the effect. Another thing I liked about this is the outcome can be revealed anyway you can think off, with a little creativity. It is a definite must get for anyone looking for a hard hitting close up Prediction piece which takes up very little pocket space. The reset time is next to nothing and can I be repeated almost immediately for a different group. I definitely will be working this into my close up set for sure.
- John Loo

and

Typically I don’t perform mentalism. Not through any dislike of that area of magic, I just feel that more sleight of hand heavy, move monkey stuff is for me.

Ben’s effect ‘Anything’ has tapped me on the shoulder and offered me a piece of practical, clever, powerful, versatile, creative mentalism that I absolutely cannot wait to perform.

Ben opens up with an overview of Anything and goes over some basic principles that would make this effect understandable if a beginner were to pick it up as well as a more experienced magician. Ben’s patter when performing is engaging, creative and hugely entertaining and each line justifies his actions when performing. You can see that he has developed the effect to have an excellent ‘one -two knockout’ punch as after performing the second half of Anything, you can see the audience’s jaws drop (Particularly in the sweet shop performance).

What I also found nice was that Ben touched on the small psychological subtleties that can maximise the impact of the effect when you perform it and can take it to the next level by employing certain gestures or mannerisms that really draw the audience in.

The props needed for the effect are listed and their uses clearly explained so theres no risk of misunderstanding of what is required for the effect to work.

Ben’s teaching is clear, understandable and entertaining. What I most enjoyed was the occasional injections of humour that made watching the explanation as enjoyable as watching the effect.

That being said there was a moment during the explanation where Ben or someone may have injured themselves as you can hear someone yell “God *** it!!” which made it to the final cut. If anyone got hurt I hope that they’re okay!

Ben then goes on to explain how Anything can work as a book test or an Open Prediction style effect, both of which work really well! During the Open Prediction section Ben goes over several ways of leaving the prediction in plain sight, namely under a beer glass, on a phone or on a card box. Personally I found that placing the prediction under the audience’s drink to be the best of the ideas taught as it felt more organic and theatrical while the other ideas just didn’t feel as justified and struck me as odd and less practical. However that's just me!

There were some questions that came to my mind when watching the explanation. For example, using a book to get a word then discarding the book (I’m being careful not to give anything away) I felt that the audience would still be aware of the book's use and see the punchline coming, therefore slightly dulling the impact. However I’m glad to say that Ben had that question, and my other ones, COMPLETELY covered. You should have no questions after listening to the explanation as Ben goes through all the ins and outs to ensure you are able to do this effect without any insecurities.

All in all if you’re after a powerful, off the cuff piece of mentalism in which you really can divine ANYTHING then look no further than this. Heck, if it can make ME want to perform mentalism then its definitely a winner!

Ben consistently fools me with his clever, creative, smart magic and each of his releases are exceptional and this is no different.
- Mark Flynn

Thank you guys! Appreciated!

Ben
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Sounds great. Before I purchase, how does this compare to the methods explored on pages 208-210, 366-375, 420-427, and 537-538 of Switchcraft?
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of davidmag
Elliot good question! I wonder that too!
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
120 Posts

Profile of timlic
Here is my review of Ben's "Anything":

Ben has taken a classic principle of mentalism and thrown a firework up its' a*se!

With over 1 1/2 hours of in-depth ideas, routines and nuances, you'll be confident performing Anything - Anywhere at Anytime.

Now, if you've studied mentalism for a period of time, you won't be surprised at how Anything is achieved; But, with that aside, the structure of Ben's routine, especially with a little 'twist', will astonish your spectators.

What I love about this is its' simplicity. Remember, it's what the audience see and believe. You are not performing for magicians! The reactions speak for themselves. With this effect, you will kick a spectator square in the nuts.

Ben has a modern-day twist on a Ned Rutledge ruse and I LOVE it! This little gem opens up a whole new plethora of ideas.

Let's talk about production - Are you going to get an all-singing, all-dancing, guy standing at a brick wall looking depressed kind of download? No. But, it's not needed (or wanted sometimes!). This is back-to-basics "here's the effect, this is how you do it" teaching. The download is over 1 1/2 hours - For ONE effect! Ben will go over absolutely everything you need to know and, if I'm honest, has probably spoon fed you too much. He shares ideas, routines and nuances, whereas I think creating your own would be a benefit.

One nuance I would highlight is Ben's nonchalance of the 'Anything' word. Great thinking and time misdirection.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong for the price. Ben is a great thinker and is a rising star.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, ElliottB wrote:
Sounds great. Before I purchase, how does this compare to the methods explored on pages 208-210, 366-375, 420-427, and 537-538 of Switchcraft?

Any answer to this yet?
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Quote:
On May 1, 2017, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, ElliottB wrote:

Any answer to this yet?

It's the same principle. I prefer Elliott's approach.
Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Agree that there is not much new but I really liked Anything; though I agree that it could probably have been edited down a bit. An hour and a half of explanation may be a bit too indulgent.

I had already started toying with something similar after reading Looch's 4.8 Minutes and then found A Nod to Pocket Watch in Looch's SAD mentalism. Like Elliott mentions in Switchcraft, I also really liked the effect but didn't like the use of a deck of cards, post it notes and tin container (though I am sure I have read or seen somewhere that Looch has changed this slightly). I also wanted to be able to do the whole effect in my hands without the need for a table. I never really got anywhere with it but after watching Anything and hearing some of Ben's ideas I instantly saw a lot of possibilities and knew that this was something I could use. There are no switches, there are only business cards in your hand, it is easy to do so you can concentrate on presentation, there is a nice subtlety with the pen (once again not new but I had not thought of it in this context), ideas around forces (though I will use something completely different) and his thoughts on card/business card/index to impossible location got me looking at Paragon 3D, clarity boxes, wallets etc before eventually settling on something that I feel comfortable with.
I am really pleased I made this purchase as Ben's enthusiasim and endless detail gave me so many options and really got me thinking. Highly recommended.
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Those of us who were already familiar with Bob's "The pocket watch premonition" and Looch's variation "NTPW" this is really nothing new. It doesn't really add anything new to the scene. The only good thing is that is not a high priced release. If you are unfamiliar with basic mentalism techniques you could benefit from this release.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I haven't seen Ben's method but have been told its very similar to my business card handling of NTPW. For those who have NTPW (the Business card handling that was in my first Penguin LIVE lecture, can they confirm if its the same?
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
To me when someone is discussing a trick and makes the statement of "...it's not new but never thought if using it in this context." Wouldn't it then be new? Wouldn't the purchase then be worthy?

Or maybe I'm just a blow hard and have nothing better to say while waiting in the dermatologist office.
Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Quote:
On May 10, 2017, John C wrote:
To me when someone is discussing a trick and makes the statement of "...it's not new but never thought if using it in this context." Wouldn't it then be new? Wouldn't the purchase then be worthy?

I agree. Which is why I wrote that I was glad I made the purchase.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Took this out for a spin the other day, it's so simple, easy to do, and practical. You don't even need the gimmick but it adds an extra layer, I didn't at the time but made one up today. It takes only a few minutes. Strong stuff.
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
IMHO,

This is the same as Looch's NTPW.

And NTPW is better when you are lo****
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I am sorry, I have been away for a while and mega busy. Thank you to everyone who has commented here and bought it, it really means a lot.

I just thought I would come pop on and mention a few things. The basic routine is the same as the basic routine I released in PDF version in 2008/9 called Any Word. Anything is a video tutorial of this, (as it was only ever released before on PDF) but it also expands upon the routine and gives different presentations and ideas, including a book test version of the effect. In this version the spectator has a free choice of book (could be done in a bookstore) you continue to predict a small action a spectator makes, read their mind by telling them what word they were thinking of from the randomly selected book and then show a prediction that states the name of the freely chosen book, so it is a triple hit effect. I spoke with Marc Spelmann fairly extensively about this and he said he really enjoyed my thinking on this plot and he thought the advice and little details I gave (that are unique to my presentation) warranted this being released. I did not try to hide that this is based from a classic mentalism technique, this is just my handling and presentation for it. Once again, thank you to everyone who has commented here.

I hope that helps,

Ben
Jambo
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Jambo
Love this trick, I use it every single gig and it gets amazing reactions.
However I have gimmicked a crayon inside a sharpie for that little added wow
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ANYTHING by Ben Williams (8 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL