The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ade Duval Multiplying Golf Ball Routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In the Ade Duval book, the Multiplying Golf Balls Routine, page 86, under the title Ade Duval's Eight Ball Routine, there is a discripency (for me anyway) on page 87, 4th paragraph down.

I contacted the author, David Charvet, and he just said he took it from the publication. Which was as stated in the book, Vol.65 No. 11, December, 2002.

It says, "Bring both hands together and secretly add the shell onto the ball. This is done as the left hand takes the ball and moves it to between the left thumb and first finger in position for the standard multiplication move."

Should it not read: Bring both hands together and secretly add the shell onto the ball. This is done as the right hand takes the shell or shelled ball and moves it to between the right thumb and first finger in position for the standard multiplication move.

As written, it does not make sense or work correctly, for me. I am trying to recreate the routine, bought the Ireland Golf Balls, now yellow, so I guess they are considered the "Winter Golf Ball" Smile I obtained the necessary ball holders and am stuck on this positioning.

Is there a correction in a later publication? Genii usually makes correction the following month or two, for errors.

I do not have any Genii Magazines after 1993. Your help would be appreciated.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will have to dig out my Genii and check.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, I will be waiting for your kindness.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anyone care to chime in and give a hand?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1461 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Bill, I think your analysis is correct. I think the original author made an error and you have noticed it. I've seen similar things happen in other written descriptions.
Your diligence is noteworthy!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I am looking at page 87 of _Ade Duval: Silken Sorceror_ by David Charvet, and interestingly the text that Bill is referring to says: "Bring the hands together and secretly add the s---- onto the ball..." and three sentences later we read "The second finger now levers the ball out of the s---- as it moves upward (Figure 4)."

But... there is no Figure 4 on page 87. We see Figures 1, 2 and 3... and then Figure 5.

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the text also erred in saying that the clip of Duval that Charles Reynolds and Gregg Webb watched that had Duval's ball routine was not "Toast of the Town" (Ed Sullivan hosted that show) but some other variety show. I have a video of Duval's Golf Ball Routine and as he begins his act, Ade says "Good evening. I’m very happy that Buddy warned you in advance that I am a magician. But I’m not one of those miserable ones…" So whatever show the clip was from, it was not hosted by Ed Sullivan, but by someone named "Buddy"--perhaps Buddy Deane or Buddy Rogers?

As Bill Palmer once mentioned in the "Finger/Stage Manipulation" forum, writing directions for a magic routine is an art in and of itself--and writing the instructions for a manipulation act is much more difficult than, say, writing the instructions for a trick like "Tree Card Monte"
:-)

Levent lists the Ade Duval routine on his "Ultimate Guide to the Billiard Balls," so you might want to check Levent's recreation of Duval's routine as well.

If you are on facebook, contact me
Amado Narvaez
and mention that you read this thread on the Café, and I will try to add you to the restricted "Routined Manipulations" facebook page where you will find a video that includes Duval's Golf Ball Routine performance that I mentioned above.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for the responses guys, I just wanted to know Ade Duval's movements, and not have to create my own. I like to know what the originator created. Guess it is lost in time.

I would have loved to see his Elusive Clock Dye Box routine, and what did he do with that Milk Pitcher on the chair.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Just realized that I never dug out the Genii to look it up for you Bill. Will try to get to it this week.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ade Duval Multiplying Golf Ball Routine (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL