The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Telephone prediction/ trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
723 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Along time ago I learned a trick that you could predict a card over the phone. It was a trick where the spec deals down the cards and The magician writes down the cards as
The spec calls them out in order. When the (example:) 5 of diamonds ends up in the 5th spot that is the chosen card. I cant for the life of me remember the name of the trick or how it was done. Anyone? Thanks and have a great weekend! db
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I don't know that one. But I do know one by Bob King where the "spectator" deals the cards 4 times, spelling out a phrase, and the final card turns out to be the selection. Totally self-working and mind-boggling!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
473 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Eddie Fields Silent Transmission is a great over the phone effect. In his book.

Ryan
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5579 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, Dollarbill wrote:
Along time ago I learned a trick that you could predict a card over the phone. It was a trick where the spec deals down the cards and The magician writes down the cards as
The spec calls them out in order. When the (example:) 5 of diamonds ends up in the 5th spot that is the chosen card. I cant for the life of me remember the name of the trick or how it was done. Anyone? Thanks and have a great weekend! db

This is Telephone Trickery published by Bill Okal in his book, Card Magic.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
723 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I will look into this. Thank you guys. I use to know this like the back of my hand 25 years ago.....errrrr......#dated-old. Smile.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
723 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I will look into this. Thank you guys. I use to know this like the back of my hand 25 years ago.....errrrr......#dated-old. Smile.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
812 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 11, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, Dollarbill wrote:

This is Telephone Trickery published by Bill Okal in his book, Card Magic.

Wait isn't this Marlo's method from Ibidem? I want to say it's a fairly early issue, in volume one.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
723 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I havent had a chance to check this out. Work is busy (Thank God!). Smile Smile Also After thinking about it I think the method is a 1 off method (5D would be in the #4 position) if that makes sense. I still can't remember how it worked tho. Thanks everyone. db

Must go check the briskets! Wooo hoo! 4 racks of spares are going into the smoker next! It's true-magic!
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
228 Posts

Profile of greerj
The 5D would be in the fifth position. Have spec pick a card, such as 5D, then place on top of deck. Then they place their matching number (in this case 5) on top of their selected card. As they call off the cards, you count the first one called as zero. They call off 14 cards, then you see what matches up. The issue is sometimes more than one card will match it's number, in which case you have to fish a little (sensing a red card, even card etc.)
willmagicman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of willmagicman
I remember a trick from the 'encyclopedia of card tricks' by Jean Hugard called 'long distant mind reading' by Jordan. where you mail a deck of cards to a friend along with a set of instructions etc. The friend follows these instructions and then mails half the deck back to you, upon which you then proceed name their card. I imagine that this could be adapted to work just as well over the phone. I hope this helps. This trick can be found in chapter x1 of said book under the heading 'Calculation tricks with ordinary cards.
A Man's gotta know his limitations ... A Magician sets those limitations.
RKMiller
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of RKMiller
Looking for iPhone effect where someone (not you) takes a photo of a helper holding his card to camera and it appears on your Facebook page.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4058 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Hi Dollarbill,

Maybe it is:

"Walsh's Long Distance Card Trick"?
(Audley Walsh/Scarne on Card Tricks/Effect# 67, pg. #123)
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, greerj wrote:
The 5D would be in the fifth position. Have spec pick a card, such as 5D, then place on top of deck. Then they place their matching number (in this case 5) on top of their selected card. As they call off the cards, you count the first one called as zero. They call off 14 cards, then you see what matches up. The issue is sometimes more than one card will match it's number, in which case you have to fish a little (sensing a red card, even card etc.)

This is in Tarbell. They look at bottom card, say its a 5. Transfer 5 cards onto face and then call out the cards. If 2 cards match to the position, you fish as in the example above. Cant remember which issue but its absolutely 100% in Tarbell.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
I posted a thread a while back titled 'Simplicity telephone test revisited'. It is located on the second page of the 'Mathematical Equations' forum of Magic Café.
In it various avenues are discussed for increasing the probability for success. This may be of interest to you.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2017, Sixten wrote:
Hi Dollarbill,

Maybe it is:

"Walsh's Long Distance Card Trick"?
(Audley Walsh/Scarne on Card Tricks/Effect# 67, pg. #123)

I'm trying to learn Walsh's Long Distance Card Trick. It's not written very clearly in Scane on Card Tricks book. Do you know where I could find a performance of this?
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4058 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Hi Film,

Send me a PM, with what you are having difficulty. I'll help you.

Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but has anyone used ‘Telephone Bill’ by Dr Bill Cushman?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Telephone prediction/ trick (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL