The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is all this obsession with Cards (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Circle back Tally-Hos for me. I hate the modern new-deck-every-week (day?) craze.
D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
Take magic out of the equation and what's left is art. Of course art is subjective, as each person has their own taste and preferences. If someone is collecting as an investment, that is their own risk to take. For those who collect because it might catch their eye, I say if it sparks their creativity or imagination, it's a treasure worth having.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, avasatu wrote:
Circle back Tally-Hos for me. I hate the modern new-deck-every-week (day?) craze.

have you ever stared into the centre of the back? you should do and give it a few moments...then slowly move the card, keeping the centre in the same spot...
I've asked to be banned
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I have some very rare decks, such as two Bicycle MetalLuxe Golden Luxe (out of print, highly priced now), one of them under cellophane, or Gold Monarchs by T11. I'm very pleased about their quality, beauty, and of course, the fact it's very limited. If you don't like collecting rare stuffs about things you like (I love cards), of course you would never understand.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
I have some very rare decks, such as two Bicycle MetalLuxe Golden Luxe (out of print, highly priced now), one of them under cellophane, or Gold Monarchs by T11. I'm very pleased about their quality, beauty, and of course, the fact it's very limited. If you don't like collecting rare stuffs about things you like (I love cards), of course you would never understand.

Very interesting I just did a search on eBay and pages and pages of the rare Gold Monarchs

With a wide range of prices

Only problem is not one of them has a single bid , as stated fine if collecting for hobby but I can't see anything that proves its a good investment or anything at all to do with Magic
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:

Very interesting I just did a search on eBay and pages and pages of the rare Gold Monarchs

Only problem is not one of them has a single bid , as stated fine if collecting for hobby but I can't see anything that proves its a good investment or anything at all to do with Magic

It's a bit like the other night I was reading a book by Anverdi and I googled to see what it would cost now and found a second hand dealer selling it for well over £300 (I probably paid about £40 for it a few years ago) BUT that was the asking price, it doesn't mean that anybody will pay that (so my family can't get too excited about selling off my magic book collection for a large amount!!)
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
Quote:

Its because people wait until the last second to bid mate ive made loads of money buying and selling stuff on their.

Its because people wait until the last second to bid mate that's how it works ive made loads of money buying and selling g stuff on their,just need a bit of mathers know how Smile
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
It's true that people at e.g. Ebay set the price as they wish, but there is a relationship between how much an article is desired and how much it is priced by their owners. Anyway, what I meant is that I possess some decks a lot of people dream to have. I've been asked many times if I'm selling those Bicycle Golden Luxe I have, I always said "thanks, but no".
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sidney A. Salmans
I was collecting some of the card decks myself, for a while. For me, it is the aesthetic - does it look cool, or interesting, or pretty. Then after a while, I started to get rid of the ones that did not have a white border. This was because cards that do not have a white border (or at least have the extreme edges match back and face)are limited to performing many tricks. Another reason I would collect many different back designs, was to be able to make my own rainbow deck. As far as being able to make money on them, I would say that there are limits to that. I am sure that there are those who may have profited from it - like if you managed to get some Jerry's Nugget decks for a low price, and then resell them - they were desired because of the properties that came from the banned or discontinued coating that made them great in handling. As others have said, "to each his own".
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Sidney A. Salmans, I used to think the same way, about cards not having white borders. Today, I think it's not an issue. Why, is because these decks are very expensive, and I do not want to buy another one, so I need to keep them as new as possible. So, I never use tricks like double lift, riffle shuffle, palming, etc. I use these custom decks for effects which do not require sleight of hand, such as John Bannon's effects in Move Zero.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Right, I agree. There are many tricks in which the borders are not an issue. Some decks were actually created for the purpose of card cheating - like Bee Backs.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

As far as the collecting goes, one set of cards that I love is the Vintage Bicycle cards. Makes me imagine being back in the old days when those cards were first printed. They also can lend to an old nostalgic theme presentation.
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I'm deal in mentalism by way of oracles, most often cartomancy - I love having a ton of different decks to choose from depending on mood, season, the event I'm working or anything like that. I don't buy EVERY new deck that's released but if I like it I do, and I like a lot of them... There have been some beautiful decks released on Kickstarter lately...

~Dave
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:

A more interesting search would be on the range of prices that recently *sold* listings have gone for. You can change the search to do this by checking a box on the right: "Completed" listings. As some have said, people often wait until the eleventh hour on ebay.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

I just noticed on the Bicycle site that they have some new card decks that have a foil color with what looked like the standard back design.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I sometimes think of the deck you perform with as being like the font you use in a document. It has a subtle influence on the way that a person perceives the overall piece, yet unless it is a really weird font most people won't register it at all. It's almost a tone of voice thing. I would never buy a deck as an investment personally, not because of any profit or loss but because I'd want to *use* the thing!

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
While I'm not really into cards, I can appreciate how others may be. We all have our areas of interest, things we are intrigued with, appreciate for artistic or other reasons, or like to collect.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:

A more interesting search would be on the range of prices that recently *sold* listings have gone for. You can change the search to do this by checking a box on the right: "Completed" listings. As some have said, people often wait until the eleventh hour on ebay.

Just now [4:22pm UK] I did that

Completed listings for limited edition playing cards

Of top 25 listing only one had got any bids - and sold for £14 [it was brand new and in wrap still]

I checked and it was a KS and sold for $15 [with $15 shipping] - so $30

I suppose if they bought multi packs they may have made almost a £1 on the ebay sale

It looks like none of the more expensive cards seem to sell

My guess is there's not much market for them - as there are always newer 'limited' edition packs you can buy new ['quick before the sell out'] - so the sell on market is almost non-exisitent [?]
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I think it might depend on what country you're in.
I've just done a search (12:45 EST), and see a lot over $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Gold-Monarch-V2-Deck-Theory11-Playing-Cards-/201865171008?hash=item2f001a1040:g:uFYAAOSwopRYhTZc, through http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Monarchs-Playing-Cards-/332176803475?hash=item4d5747c693:g:8iAAAOSwjDZYiKYb, with a bunch in between.

I'm not defending it in any way (I'd never spend that much for a set), but it does appear that there are a few who are willing to. /shrug
mayhem
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of mayhem
I love collecting cards for the enjoyment of it. Any collection will be a risk as an investment. When I was a kid, I collected Sports cards, and same thing... cards listed high that never sell... etc...

It's a hobby and I will continue to buy the cards that interest me. If I wasn't into magic, I wouldn't have this same obsession with collecting decks of cards.

When Kickstarter started up, and there were a few people doing custom cards on it, it was great. You got to see some new ideas and I backed a lot of projects early on. As time passed, it has become over flooded with designs, and I've lost interest in backing projects unless it's from a creator that I have liked their previous works and they haven't went down the road of just making money on card designs. One company, I backed their first 8 designs, and the first 6 were good. After that, they seemed rushed and were garbage, so I stopped supporting them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is all this obsession with Cards (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL