The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What if Netflix did magic? New Ellusionist Platform (76 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Ellusionist has just launched www.magicstream.com

and yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.

Essentially, Ellusionist has created the Netflix of magic. You pay a monthly subscription fee ($12.99) and gain access to literally hundreds of streaming magic tutorials.

I was lucky enough to receive a pre-release sneak peek of the site and I am thoroughly impressed. On this site is virtually every single downloadable magic product Ellusionist has ever produced (all the way back to "mindbender" where the card bends on the back of the hand, KAOS, and Brad Christian) AND many new downloads exclusive to magicstream.

For $13, I think this is a steal. For the price of one download, you can have access to every download from Ellusionist. PLUS, you can cancel your subscription anytime, so you could just buy it for one month if you so desire.

For the Magic Stream original content, they currently have an hour sit down with Tony Chang. He doesn't teach much magic, but he talks a lot of theory which will really elevate your performance if you head his advice. Don't think of this as a lecture; think of it as a casual conversation with Tony about magic. There's a lot of rambling and analogies that don't really make sense, but if you stick with him, he eventually gets his point across. It's very informal, but you can learn so much from what he is teaching.

There's also a Magic Stream original download by a man known as "Lost Angelus" who is apparently an instagram magician. He teaches 10 different card effects/moves in the video. Some of the moves are his versions of old moves, and some are original to him. My favorite bit of this video is the very first thing he teaches called: ripping. The concept behind ripping is new to me and could be VERY useful. Essentially, it is a way to use a brand new, completely ungaffed deck as a very common gaffed deck. The power of this is astounding. I could see big name close up magicians doing a stage show where they ask everyone to bring a new deck of cards, they open one of the spectator's decks, and proceed to do magic which would be impossible with a normal deck of cards all while being projected onto a big screen so the entire audience can see. This principle alone is worth the $13 in my mind. Use it wisely.

Another original Magic Stream video is a Daniel Madison card change. I'm not fond of it as I think it's very obvious what is going on, but some may find it useful.

However, Daniel Madison teaches a very nice in-the-hands false riffle shuffle which looks quite convincing. There's also a few new Lloyd Barnes releases and some Chris Ramsay effects.

There is also a series called "Sleight School" where Xavior Spade teaches the correct way to do classic card moves. This series would have been GREAT to have a s a beginner.

They also have many sections to choose from. They have: Magic Stream Originals, Card Magic, Visual Magic, Gambling Demonstrations, For Beginners, Organic Magic, Street Magic, Card Sleights, Coin Magic, Mentalism, Bar Bets, Cardistry, and a category for all of the major names of creators.

The interface of the website is very nice. It is laid out very similar to Netflix with videos under different categories, but it is very nice to look at and operates very smoothly. It also works great on both my laptop and my iPhone.

Overall, I think this is a great deal. I suggest you buy the package for a month to see how you like it. You may end up loving it and keeping the subscription in place. If not, you only spent $13 to learn a massive amount of magic.

Madison
wswim
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of wswim
Now this is freaking cool! I can't believe how much is on there for the price. For 13 dollars that is a ton of magic that could be learned which is really, really cool.
VMagical
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of VMagical
Sounds interesting! Reel Magic already touts itself as the Netflix of magic. Smile It's a bargain for $5.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2479 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Wow. Magic has no value anymore.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18491 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I guess it would ok for a month and a notepad?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7787 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The Beginning of the End.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1568 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, pegasus wrote:
The Beginning of the End.

??

I personally think this is great! For peoe who don't really earn much, this is really good!

Sleepy
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
My only thought is that every time media has gone unlimited subscription it has been highly devalued for the creators. Music, movies, comics, etc Is there huge consumer benefit? sure is. But at what cost? At least it's only ellusionist stuff. For now. Maybe I'm just feeling philosophical
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, Joshua Barrett wrote:
My only thought is that every time media has gone unlimited subscription it has been highly devalued for the creators. Music, movies, comics, etc Is there huge consumer benefit? sure is. But at what cost? At least it's only ellusionist stuff. For now. Maybe I'm just feeling philosophical

The difference between this and your analogy is that this is only being sold to creators. At least, its aim is to further enlighten the creators.

It isn't marketed at the masses of laypeople.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:

The difference between this and your analogy is that this is only being sold to creators. At least, its aim is to further enlighten the creators.

Yes, Mads has it spot on. It's not a mass market platform. Magic is a small niche in comparison to the market other subscription services target.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2479 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, Mads has it spot on. It's not a mass market platform. Magic is a small niche in comparison to the market other subscription services target.

First, "this is only being sold to creators" I have no idea what this means. I presume a mistake?

Secondly, the analogy is still apt. It applies to the magic niche market. If I can buy this for pennies, that is its value, why should I pay more? This drives the market down. Now, nobody wants to pay higher prices for effects. You see it today.

s
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, the Sponge wrote:

No, the analogy is still apt. It applies to the magic niche market. If I can buy this for pennies, that is its value, why should I pay more? This drives the market down. Now, nobody wants to pay higher prices for effects. You see it today.

s

Ah makes since from this standpoint.

But Kozmo magic has been doing $5 a month for reel magic with no drawbacks.

Ultimately, if someone feels their product is better than this price range, I'm sure they ask it to not be included. In the end, you get what you pay for. I don't think this will effect the value of magic that dramatically.

And no. Not a mistake. The anaplogy talks of the creators (artists, etc,) losing value. I'm using creator as a term to refer to magicians. Creators of magic. Creative people.

Madison
DuanePaul
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of DuanePaul
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, VMagical wrote:
Sounds interesting! Reel Magic already touts itself as the Netflix of magic. Smile It's a bargain for $5.

A monthly magazine is VERY different to Netflix. Magic Stream IS the Netflix of Magic.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Your missing my point entirely. Let's say I sell magic dvd's and downloads. They sell retail for let's say 20 bucks. let's for simplicity say I make 50% of each sale. In a sub market, You end up getting pennies per copy in the end.

Also your criticism of a niche market seems to only strengthen my criticism, as less subs equals less money that has to be spread for each creator.

The Komzo Comparison isn't quite the same. That is basically a magazine sub. When talking "magic netflix", that would mean I pay for reel magic monthly plus much more. It's the "much more" that get's things dicey. Like I said, It's not a big deal on the "ellusionist" only level, but if this is the direction the market headed, I don't think it's good in the end.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
744 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Woah, if only I had enough hours in the day to actually learn and practice so much content.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2479 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:

But Kozmo magic has been doing $5 a month for reel magic with no drawbacks.

... In the end, you get what you pay for. I don't think this will effect the value of magic that dramatically.

And no. Not a mistake. The anaplogy talks of the creators (artists, etc,) losing value. I'm using creator as a term to refer to magicians. Creators of magic. Creative people.

Madison

HaHa! You DO get what you pay for. These effects are less than a penny each. That says something about their value, doesn't it?!

No drawbacks? I don't know. Anyone? thoughts?
these days everything is a cheap download. People complain about an effect being $14 dollars. How can the performers be making much money? The old joke,"volume?"

I think that term doesn't fit. This is being sold to magic consumers, not magic creators. This isn't being marketed to Paul Harris, for example. Not all magicians are magic product creators.

If a creator (person who created the effect) spends hours/days/weeks/etc. of their life/experience/etc. creating a magic trick, and it's only sold for pennies because the market has been driven down, how does that not hurt the creator? and the value of magic in general?

s
GAMJoker
View Profile
Loyal user
Bad language skills confirmed in
223 Posts

Profile of GAMJoker
So actually now even more 14 year old kids will reveal tricks on YouTube?
The only reason why not every trick gets revealed is, because the young kiddies just can't afford it to buy every trick they see. Now they just have to come up with 13$ once and a whole new era of YouTube revelations begin!?
I guess in the future I don't have to support any creator anymore, because I will find every new trick within one day on YouTube.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Just signed up mate thanks what a brilliant idea
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7787 Posts

Profile of pegasus
"Hey cool trick, did you learn that on Netflix?"
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7787 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Just signed up mate thanks what a brilliant idea

Case in point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What if Netflix did magic? New Ellusionist Platform (76 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL