The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which Chop cup to get....any recommendations ? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
59 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2018, Jay wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, mandrax wrote:
For me it is the mini Don Alan from Donnie at RNT2. If you use the Denis Loomis routine sold by Jamie D Grant, you have an excellent trick with you anytime anywhere.

Good call however I don't think the Dennis Loomis routine is available any more as I was looking for this when researching chop cups and routines myself.

Warren--Jamie Grant has distribution rights to the Loomis routine. You can purchase it directly from him. Money well spent. It's an incredible routine and it's the only Chop Cup routine I do!

https://www.sendwonder.com/collections/a......-routine

Jay

Thanks for the link Jay much appreciated, it's a pity he doesn't sell it as I have to add import tax it bumps the price up quite a bit for just one routine as I have no use for a cups and balls routine right now. Plus I already have my own routine now which I'm really happy with although my routine does require a table.

You never know though someone may sell it cheaper in the for sale section if I'm lucky haha

Warren, I admit it is a bit expensive for a booklet, but I learned so much of it, that it was a good investment.
Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2786 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, mandrax wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2018, Jay wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, mandrax wrote:
For me it is the mini Don Alan from Donnie at RNT2. If you use the Denis Loomis routine sold by Jamie D Grant, you have an excellent trick with you anytime anywhere.

Good call however I don't think the Dennis Loomis routine is available any more as I was looking for this when researching chop cups and routines myself.

Warren--Jamie Grant has distribution rights to the Loomis routine. You can purchase it directly from him. Money well spent. It's an incredible routine and it's the only Chop Cup routine I do!

https://www.sendwonder.com/collections/a......-routine

Jay

Thanks for the link Jay much appreciated, it's a pity he doesn't sell it as I have to add import tax it bumps the price up quite a bit for just one routine as I have no use for a cups and balls routine right now. Plus I already have my own routine now which I'm really happy with although my routine does require a table.

You never know though someone may sell it cheaper in the for sale section if I'm lucky haha

Warren, I admit it is a bit expensive for a booklet, but I learned so much of it, that it was a good investment.
Smile

Normally I would agree with you and just buy it however because I really like the routine that I've come up with I just can't see me changing it now so it would really be purchased more out of interest than anything else, however if one comes up for sale second hand then obviously I would most likely snap it up.

With my own routine I've managed to eliminate it being a guessing game so it's no longer challenge magic continually asking where the ball is etc, it's short and to the point as far to many of these type of routines really drag and I'm instantly reset at the end.....oh and best of all it's my own routine .
alan1954
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of alan1954
Having owned several types of cups, I've finally settled on the Johnson Products cup. It's brass, very solid with a good heft to it. And it looks like something that a wizard would have owned.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13304 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2017, Leo H wrote:
Frank Starsinic sells a nice leather chop cup--not too big, not too small:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=32

Thanks Leo.

Three nice things about the leather cup most don't realize is:
You can perform with no close-up pad and essentially on any surface: wood, glass, etc. That's one less thing to carry around.
Since the * is offset and on the leather seam, you know exactly where it is for the roll-in-out display.
Also due to the offset, you can more easily release the ball with a slide-twist wrist action and never have to lift the cup and drop it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2018, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Leo.

Also due to the offset, you can more easily release the ball with a slide-twist wrist action and never have to lift the cup and drop it.

I have the cup and really like it, but have no idea what move you are talking about. Could you clarify it for me, please.

Another thing ... I do the 3 shells, and I find the leather cup a perfect size for covering the shell for the finale.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2018, Glenn Godsey wrote:
There is only one authentic Chop Cup: the one that Don Alan actually used. Don never used the "Don Alan Chop Cup". He used the original Al Wheatley "Chop Cup Junior" the many times I watched him do it. The Chop Cup Junior was made in England. I still have and use my original from 1963 or so.

Just for the record, Al Wheatley did not call the shortened Chop Cup the Chop Cup Junior. In fact, he did not call the tall cup, the Chop Cup. He called the tall one "The Master Cup," and the shorter one "The Master Cup, Jr."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13304 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2018, jakeg wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2018, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Leo.

I have the cup and really like it, but have no idea what move you are talking about. Could you clarify it for me, please.

Another thing ... I do the 3 shells, and I find the leather cup a perfect size for covering the shell for the finale.

put the cup mouth down ball engaged on a table with the seam pointing, say, at 12:00.
pull the cup toward you and across your body toward your opposite shoulder.
As you do, snap your wrist a bit and rotate the cup such that seam ends up towards 6:00.

with a bit of practice and adjustments for where you like the seam to begin you can release the ball during that motion.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
countrymaven
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I think you all have the right idea. when we are using a m++++t in a cup or outside on a gimmick the last thing you want to do is to have a metal cup. so whatever you do, use a leather or coffee or any cup made from anything other than metal.
Michael Kaminskas
View Profile
V.I.P.
116 Posts

Profile of Michael Kaminskas
I’m a bit biased, but don’t take my word for it... read what others have to say about my Carolina Chop Cups...www.mkcups.com
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2018, Michael Kaminskas wrote:
I’m a bit biased, but don’t take my word for it... read what others have to say about my Carolina Chop Cups...www.mkcups.com

I just received my Carolina Cup EDC (which joins my Carolina Cup Jester) .. Both are very well built... I have others, but I think that the EDC is the one that I'll put in my laptop bag and have on me, just in case.

mG
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1028 Posts

Profile of taller8
Here is the Hidden Wren Black Africian chop cup, medium load.

Its a work of art. Perfect hold.

https://m.imgur.com/a/6TU7sOK

http://www.hiddenwrenmagic.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4976 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I forgot how stunning Hidden Wren's work is. That African Blackwood cup is absolutely amazing!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1028 Posts

Profile of taller8
Yes, its one of the nicest magic props Ive ever purchased.

I still have my Bar Cup for more rugged use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which Chop cup to get....any recommendations ? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL