The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unknown Gaffed Penny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
Yesterday, in a coffee show, I got a funny-looking and -feeling penny with my change. It is a 2013 penny with a grey border. The border is separate. Looks as if the penny was filed a little smaller, and a grey border added to it for some reason. There is even a little "wiggle room" between the penny and the border. I can't imagine any use for it other than magic. I tried to "shake" it apart (as in Penny and Dime) but no dice. Any thoughts?
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
Here's an image of the coin. As you can see, some of the plating is rubbed off, as well.

Click here to view attached image.
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Is it magnetic?

You tried to shake it, did you try a bang ring?

Dave
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
Good point. I wish I had one. What trick is it normally used for?
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I used to have a steel penny shell, it came with a pen that had a magnet on the end.

I still have the pen, but I no longer have the penny shell.

Dave
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Shake it in a shot glass and see if it comes apart.
It could be a locking dime and penny
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I second the suggestion to shake it in a glass - which is the usual method of separating a locking coin if you don't have the bang ring of the right size.

Can the insert spin around in place, or is it firmly stuck?

I'll also reiterate the question of whether it's magnetic.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I love a mystery...

Dave
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
It looks like a penny-dime in a bang ring that is stuck to the ring.
I also suggest shaking it in a glass to see if it comes loose.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
U.S pennies are made of a zinc core, with a copper plate.

You have a worn penny.

(I can't believe no one on coin magic know this?)
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I thought the same, but am not too sure as the rim at the top right seems quite high for being worn down?

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Al Desmond wrote:
U.S pennies are made of a zinc core, with a copper plate.

You have a worn penny.

(I can't believe no one on coin magic know this?)
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Exactly--that's way too high.

And the odds of a penny having the copper plating worn off the rim perfectly, all the way around, while retaining roughly 90% of it in the center, are astronomical. If it were a worn penny with only slight speckling on the face, there should be at least some copper left on the edge.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Walt D wrote:
Exactly--that's way too high.

And the odds of a penny having the copper plating worn off the rim perfectly, all the way around, while retaining roughly 90% of it in the center, are astronomical. If it were a worn penny with only slight speckling on the face, there should be at least some copper left on the edge.

Somebody wore it down.

High edge, strike on the stamping machine set a little hard, knocks out 100 pennies, operator sees high rims, adjusts, pennies go on or get mixed in with better strikes.

I've been collecting coins for 50 years, I've seen this before, I've seen it all.

And, with a high rim, that rim will get more wear, in a bank bag of coins, through counting machines and so on.

It's not a mystery.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
@Al, thanks for the insight. Now I know whom to contact if I ever have numismatic questions.
(I'm being serious)

Dave
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
Al, that sounds great. Thanks for your answer. But on the other hand, the copper part of the coin wiggles within the outer rim. Is that normal for the kind of coin you are talking about?
Also, is it worth anything?

~ Brian
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
To my eye, it looks like the depth of that shadow is very large for a heavy strike, though it's certainly possible.

Here's another way to tell: flip the coin into the air (compare it to another penny). If it rings, it's (almost certainly) normal. If it thuds, it's some kind of gaff.

That said, if the inner part wiggles, it's definitely something else - and makes me again think it's a dime & penny.
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
It thuds. I've rattled that think in every kind of glass I've got, but it doesn't separate. I'll keep trying, though .
BTW, the rim of the penny part seems two rounded down to be a dime and penny. It looks and feels much to suspicious compared to an actual penny and dime.
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Powell wrote:
It thuds. I've rattled that think in every kind of glass I've got, but it doesn't separate. I'll keep trying, though .
BTW, the rim of the penny part seems two rounded down to be a dime and penny. It looks and feels much to suspicious compared to an actual penny and dime.

Ok.

I tool a closer look at the coin picture you posted.

Are your sure that the "silver" like rim is not a bezel?

I don't know off hand, why anyone would put a 2013 penny in a bezel, but it may have meant something to someone.

Go around the "silver" rim. Do you see a break, someplace where the silver circle may have split?

Look up the word "bezel." Look at some bezels on jewelry findings websites.

Or darn it all, pm me, I'll send you my address and you can mail the coin to me and I will look at it under my lopes and check it closely.

Overall, I don't think this is anything special, just not what you expected to get in change.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Could it be off a charm bracelet? I have seen charm brackets made out of all pennies.

Recently at the grocery store, the check out clerk was closing her drawer, and she felt a dime was counterfeit. I looked at it and the rim was really high, felt and looked strange. It was a new minted dime according to the date. So the striking to make adjustments makes sense, the dime it self in beyond the rim felt thin, but it looked okay as a normal dime.
ScottMN
View Profile
New user
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
72 Posts

Profile of ScottMN
I've never seen dime/penny where the penny Heads is the insert... I have a couple from different makers, and the back of the dime is always penny tails... anyone else?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unknown Gaffed Penny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL