The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Looking for a card punch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
116 Posts

Profile of clars
I have not been able to find a card punch. James Risers site, for some reason, Is not selling anything? Does anyone have a line, on who sells punches. Thanks
MVFAN
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Your post conflicts with what Riser has up on his website right now.

He appears to be selling his new 2017 version of his card punch (his fourth different design).

NOBODY makes a card punch anywhere close to the quality that Riser makes.

Don't write Riser a goofy email ... or he probably won't sell you one.

(You've also got ONE more day to purchase yet another of his card punches ... his "penny card punch" ... a one-off product that Riser has just released).
jackouille07
View Profile
Regular user
France
110 Posts

Profile of jackouille07
Hi Artie,

What, in your opinion, make a good card punch? From what I can see on the picture, his 2017 design seems to be inferior to his previous design. (inferior do not mean bad)

Sincerely,

Jackouille
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
The classic card punch can be had at Dan and Dave's site believe it or not.
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
116 Posts

Profile of clars
Thank you Dowser.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, jackouille07 wrote:

What, in your opinion, make a good card punch? ... his 2017 design seems to be inferior to his previous design. (inferior do not mean bad)

I'd have to know what you see as being inferior to comment on that specifically.

Generally, I look for a brilliant piece of machining that does 100% of the job that the machinist intended it to do.
A punch that will maintain its "spring" 30 years from now, which is a component of a machinist knowing exactly how brass and aluminum behave over time (Riser knows).
I also look for a design that will let you place a blister exactly where you wish to place it, without the need for gymnastics of the head and hand.
As well, I like to see a quality adjustment mechanism that will allow one to refine the shape and feel of the blister, and then lock that setting in solidly.

These types of punches we're talking about here are only designed to put a blister in well away from the card table ... so regardless of which of Risers four punch designs (5 if you include his penny punch) you use, you have plenty of time to dial in both the location of the blister, and the nature of how the blister looks and feels.

BTW, although it's "SOLD OUT", that little punch that Dan and Dave sold is the previous iteration of Jim Risers punch. Apparently Riser made them for D&D to market.
jackouille07
View Profile
Regular user
France
110 Posts

Profile of jackouille07
Artie, according to what you wrote (here and in other messages) it seems that you have some knowledge in machining and probably experienced the making of this kind of stuff. If I'm right, may I ask you to contact me privately? I can't send you a PM since this function is deactivated on your profile. I'd like to talk about machinery.

What I found inferior on this design is the locking mechanism. The one with the brass nut look more professional and I think the adjustment would be more precise. (but I do not own any James Riser card punch)

Anyway, I'm sure the new design will perfectly do the job. And when you see what James Riser can do, the guy know exactly what he is doing.

Sincerely,

Jackouille
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
I purchased a punch from King and Co. in Los Angeles about 40 years ago and also a similar one from KC Card Co. Both punches look like the one pictured here:

http://www.gamblingcollectibles.com/equipment4.html

Although I don't claim to be a "punch" expert, or a connoisseur of exotic punches, the two punches in question proved to be very serviceable and are still in the same good working condition as when I purchased them, although the needles have been replaced and changed from time to time. I can place the punch exactly where I want it on a card over and over again, using the back design as a gauge against the minute hole on the punch. While the distance between each punch mark may not be "micrometer" perfect, for all intents and purposes it is perfectly placed and as exact as any reasonable person would want. I still have both punches and because of their efficiency have never had a need to buy any other.

However, I should add that in my opinion a punch blister is too detectable under fire in fast company games and is basically used for information only and not for second dealing. By simply flashing the card against the light, punch work shows up readily. For that reason, the punch was replaced by chemical preparations many years ago which are not detectable to the naked eye and because this work has a completely different feel from punch work, (there is no bump), tends to fool anyone looking for the punch blister.

The work can be place on the front or back of the cards and can support multiple combinations.
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
This new design works very well:
http://www.theperfectshuffle.com/Pinpoint-Pegger/
You can adjust exactly the place and the force.
JJS
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I would echo Cag's note that the punch in 2017 is primarily (if not entirely) a magic item ... that or a piece of history for the collector.
The bump is easily seen and felt, even by folks not fast company.

In my earlier post, I noted the ability to play with, and then solidly lock in an adjustment ... this after determining the absolute minimum adjustment pressure required to create a blister YOU can feel.
I've noted it here before, but IMO a stronger use for the punch today is to create one or two keycards that then automatically cut at the bump (which acts as a pseudo crimp).

JJ linked to Eoin's punch in his above post, which I was perhaps unjustly harsh on in comments I made many months back here in the forum. Eoin has definitely advanced the concept of the card punch to its most extreme level in what is a wonderfully crafted piece of kit.
It's a bit over the top for me personally, but obviously performs as advertised.
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
The newest book (which is quite extensive & does contain new material & techniques) on punch work contains information on several alternative punches.
The book is: Techno-Tactile Card Marking Techniques for Cardicians - Taking the Punch Out of Punch Work.
The author (Shawn Evans of the Mimesis Magic website) sells the book with the Snug Presto Punch Card, which is a gimmicked card to make punches in real-time during a routine.

The book was recently review on The Gambling Spot.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
LYBRARY.COM has a new model punch that is superior.....
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Actually it appears there are two different punches on the Lybrary.com site, both developed by Chris Wasshuber.

The first is a needle type punch, called "The Punch" in which the needle length can be adjusted up or down by turning the screw that secures it.

http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_r......891de6db

The second punch, called the Blistr, is for those that feel a needle prick is to subtle to feel. It does not use a needle at all but rather a more blunt type instrument which puts a bigger smoother blister into the card rather than a small pointed indentation. By putting this somewhat bigger blister into the opposing diagonal corners of a card, or perhaps in all 4 corners, one can create a breather crimp which will apparently remain active for much longer than a normal breather crimp would, or so the ad copy says.

http://www.lybrary.com/blistr-p-921816.html

This breather crimp concept was mentioned above by Artie Fufkin.

Both punch instruments are made from carbon fiber reinforced nylon.

So what is next step in punch instruments? I would suggest that if the Blitr is still too subtle for some, perhaps someone could come up with a punch that produces a small electric shock to the finger when a desirable card comes to the top of the deck, or perhaps a punch that also makes sandwiches so the card table practitioner could enjoy nourishment while putting the work in. Obviously these even more sophisticated punches would be for the connoisseur who only wants the latest and best in make-believe gambling chicanery.

I wonder what the card cheats of yesteryear would think of the myriad of esoteric developments in the area of simple punch work that have been developed to date and apparently which has no end in sight. Are they rolling over in their graves in disbelief or bouncing around wildly in uncontrolled laughter.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
What's next?

Go here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/

and upload your card cheating items dimensions so I can print them out on my 3D printer.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
One might make one with a chip or a card guard I think.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Wasshuber was quick to steal the concept of a blister as a pseudo-breather, and try to fob it off as his own.

One more reason why nobody should post anything in this forum that might actually be an interesting concept, or a concept unknown to "outsiders".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I just made one out of a chip by sticking a chip label over a drawing pin, which is not an interesting concept or one not known to outsiders I am sure.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I have the Riser punch....it is good for magicians and mentalists....not gamblers.
The punch is too big....but, well made !
Long Island,

New York
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2017, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Wasshuber was quick to steal the concept of a blister as a pseudo-breather, and try to fob it off as his own.

There was nothing to steal. Anybody who plays around with a punch for a few minutes would realize that use. I used super-glue dots as 'breathers' for decades. Using blisters is the same idea. Instead of a glue dot an indentation is used. Don't make an old and obvious concept sound like it is a big secret. The new thing is that my Blistr makes it now super easy to make these indentations.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Looking for a card punch (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL