The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Gospel Trick I'd like to see re-released (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Any Gospel tricks out there you'd like to see re-released?

I will give you an example. Yesterday, in Lighthouse Kids, I did the original wooden "Crosstix". Was a favorite of John de Vries and Ralph C. Mills. My old wood set was probably made in the Seventies and is "solid" wood. Thus, it takes forever to restring it (took me more than an hour yesterday just to prep it).

The routine I used involves cutting the string (which I did)- so if I decide to do Crosstix again- it will take me another hour to get the finally get the string through the appropriate holes, using wire leaders, tweezers, etc.. I sure there must be another way to do it faster.

Crosstix is a great Gospel message and the kids responded to it well yesterday.

I would love to see this trick "re-issued" with perhaps "take apart" long wood bars/blocks for easy restringing?
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I am not familiar with Crosstix (Maybe I am and I just don't remember it) Any chance you could post a pic of the prop so I can jar my memory. I know I don't own it based on your description... but now, I'm intrigued!

I'd love to see some more silks released (real silk that magicians would use) with quality pictures or wording of: Bible, a Heart (I know Laflin just put one out), a cross, "SIN", "Evil", Each of the Fruits of the Spirit, Each of the Trinity.

We teach on these things so much, but I have to either rely on making up effects that use signs or cards with these words or pictures or I have to make my own silks (they rarely turn out the way I really want).
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a picture of "Crosstix".

Basically, "Crosstix" looks like the "Chinese Sticks" trick except there is a string linking the two wooden sticks at the top and another string at the bottom of the two sticks. The illusion is when you pull on a string on the bottom of one stick the pulling string simply moves the string threaded through the bottom of the other stick.

In reality, the sticks are strung "crosswise" so when you cut the string at the top of the two sticks where it looks like they are directly connected (but they are not)- you can put the two sticks back together- yet pull on the string at the top of one stick it will move the string coming out out of the top of the other stick (which is the amazing/impossible part of the trick). But in reality, the pulling string is going down the tube, through the bottom, to the bottom of the other tube, then back up the entire length of the other tube and out on the top. The audience does not realize the tube strings do not simply just go straight across to each other. Pretty clever little illusion- fools kids at least. Kinda like pom-pom sticks with no magnets.

Come to think of it, Pom-Pom sticks are probably better than "Crosstix" as you can move ALL the pom-poms later after the stick has been separated. In Crosstix- the routine ends when you pull the top strings only which apparently were just cut and then magically restored.
stringsleights
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of stringsleights
"The Bible Way" by Duane Laflin
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, stringsleights wrote:
"The Bible Way" by Duane Laflin

I know this is published in several of Laflin's books. If you wanted to make it yourself. I think "Amazing Gospel Illusions You Can Make" lays it -- you have to make up your own cards.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Quote:
On May 3, 2017, jamiedoyle wrote:
I am not familiar with Crosstix (Maybe I am and I just don't remember it) Any chance you could post a pic of the prop so I can jar my memory. I know I don't own it based on your description... but now, I'm intrigued!

I'd love to see some more silks released (real silk that magicians would use) with quality pictures or wording of: Bible, a Heart (I know Laflin just put one out), a cross, "SIN", "Evil", Each of the Fruits of the Spirit, Each of the Trinity.

We teach on these things so much, but I have to either rely on making up effects that use signs or cards with these words or pictures or I have to make my own silks (they rarely turn out the way I really want).

I am interested in making my own silks, "(real silk that magicians would use)" but I don't know the 'Terminology' to use when asking a fabric store. Can anyone help here pleez?? What is the 'Correct' title of Magicians Silks???
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, EVENTUCATOR wrote:

I am interested in making my own silks, "(real silk that magicians would use)" but I don't know the 'Terminology' to use when asking a fabric store. Can anyone help here pleez?? What is the 'Correct' title of Magicians Silks???

Here is an old thread about it -- it should give you some reference points:
https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=214040
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, EVENTUCATOR wrote:
Quote:
On May 3, 2017, jamiedoyle wrote:

You may want to contact Tim Sonofelt at wonderimagery.com or Roy Stone at jamstonemagic.com They specialize in silks (Roy makes "hanks," they are not silk but can work.
--------------------------------------------------------

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
A great Gospel effect I believe is no longer being made is "The People We Meet" both regular sized and pocket version. Some places may still have it their existing inventory, I don't know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Gospel Trick I'd like to see re-released (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL