The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1970s Advertised on TV Black Card Box Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dirty Deek
View Profile
New user
Indiana, USA
35 Posts

Profile of Dirty Deek
I'm 50. In the 1970s a nifty trick was advertised on TV. You put any playing card in a clam shell type box (it was shiny black) and snapped the box shut, tapped the box, flipped it..did whatever and the card vanished !

I can't for the life of me remember what this was called, but I SOOOO wanted one. Of course, I couldn't have much as a kid, so I tried to make my own from cardboard, construction paper and black crayons. Anyway....my love of magic was born.

Can anyone help an old man find this trick ? Maybe a search for "vintage magic toys" or something.
Hit me if you can find it please...
Casey Rayls-Indiana...
"Dirty Deek"
"Pay No Attention to That Man Behind The Curtain"
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Were you looking to buy one, I think I have one in a tub around here somewhere.

Dave
Carderrez
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, Texas
188 Posts

Profile of Carderrez
I have had three versions of this effect. The original you could buy at any Walgreens for about a buck, entirely molded plastic. (The first link provided) If only for the nostalgic angle would be the one you're looking for. The locking card box hard plastic and based on the same concept but could be handed to the spectator (for performance purposes) still available (current versions have a blue pin-stripe design on them), and a parlor or stage version made out of copper (I got in 1980) I believe it was called the card pedestal. Does anyone remember that one, who made it or where to get one today? I gave mine away in 1991.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'm looking to procure a card change box again. I'm a now retired, returning hobbyist after a 50+ year detour into a career Smile

Back in the day I tried to purchase mid range props. Not the expensive pro ones nor the cheap knock offs.
I had a card change box back then that was "locking" as it was magnetic. I thought it was produced by Royal, but the current Miracle Card case is not magnetic -- so I don't think I want it.
Anyway long story short. Any recommendations for a mid-range locking card change box? Thanks!

Edit. This one looks good to me. Anybody familiar with it. Does not say it is locking.
http://www.magictrickstore.com/card-chan......255.html
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi docguitarman!
That box looks like a converted cheap stock box from India or China, and will most likely break after awhile.

This one is from a trusted craftsman and will cost you more upfront, but last a lifetime... https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/euro-card-box-magnetic

I'm not sure if this box will allow you to have the entire deck plus card box inside, if that matters to you. You should probably inquire first.

Good luck in your search!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Hi docguitarman!
That box looks like a converted cheap stock box from India or China, and will most likely break after awhile.

This one is from a trusted craftsman and will cost you more upfront, but last a lifetime... https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/euro-card-box-magnetic

I'm not sure if this box will allow you to have the entire deck plus card box inside, if that matters to you. You should probably inquire first.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you Wizard of Oz. The description looks great. That's now on my list of props !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1970s Advertised on TV Black Card Box Trick (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL