The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Not Being Paid For GIG (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is how some companies work. Pay attention Tom you may learn.

Though a department is big enough to have a budget, they may not be the person who writes the check. Big enough companies have entire departments dedicated to doing exactly that.

Yes your agreement may very well state to be paid on that day. But when the invoice was sent can matter. Many things can matter.

The larger point is that they will not change the way they do things for you. Knowing ahead of time how things work is essential. Unless of course it is firearms and then Tom is the guy to ask.

Companies of this size do not like issues. They don't have time to deal with every vendor after every single thing they do.

As I said learn from this. All you want to be paid. That is reasonable. No doubt about it. You are used to getting paid the day of the event, not 30 days layer. This is also reasonable.

But if you are shifting into a market where this is standard practice, and often larger companies operate this way, it might behoove you to accept and learn this.

I don't think you are unreasonable at all. I understand what you are going through and it makes sense. I only purpose you learn from this. Even with an agreement signed, if company practice is net 30 that will be your schedule.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, he has been doing it professionally for 10 years now. This is the first time he hasn’t been paid.
He probably shouldn’t be worried about changing his policies now.

Like Wdavis said, sometimes you need to write it off and move on if it drags out very long. But until that
time he just needs to keep reminding them that it is overdue. Nothing wrong with that.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually there can be a LOT wrong with that. If they are on a net 45 and you keep reminding them you are a pest who will not be hired again.

After 10 years he is moving into a market where this happens. Closing eyes and not being aware is your solution. Sure it might work but is not a good one.

Learn and adapt and grow and move forward. My billing policies change as I grow, move into new markets or as technology allows for. A HUGE percentage of my business is done through ACH transfers now. Heck that is how we pay people. I an having trouble remembering the last physical check I got.

Not all markets are like this. Not all markets are one way or another. The idea of not adapting new policy because one had worked for 10 years is absurd.

Why do you argue about things you never do? It is mind boggling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It is absolutely amazing that EVERY single posts ends up going the same around here (even when I'm not around here!).

I am sure this is simply a matter of a professional market client having their own professional market billing procedure and system. Your check will arrive within the next two weeks likely. Companies will not change the way they operate to accommodate an entertainer. The operate according to professional market standards and operations. Most using a net (30) billing, with submission perhaps only processed once a month or every other week period is common.

Yes they didn't adhere to your contract. Did they pay a deposit? My guess is not. That could also be a par tof the problem. If you are a first time vendor to this company, the first contact or engagement requires establishing your account within the company and their system. If a deposit was requested and fulfilled, this would have been done which could have made the balance due much easier as per your agreement. My guess is that it wasn't and all of this, which involves several departments, more than just the person who booked you, and is in process as we speak. All of this must be done before the final department will issue a check.

Perhaps this could also have been avoided if you requested deposit and/or full payment via credit card. The process could have been differently.

Danny & Walter have provided excellent insight into this, which again is a great example of the differences between professional market operations, and consumer.

Yes the OP has been performing 10 years, but I am guessing mostly consumer market clients/bookings. As I've said before nearly every issue here in this forum is directly related to this concept.

But lets not give consumer level advice to a professional market situation.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny I am always impressed with how little I know.

But maybe it’s that I missed where he said this was a brand new market to him.
Maybe I miss read where he said he had been doing it professionally for 10 years.
I thought he was simply wanting to know how to get his money.

Mindpro, you right you and Danny both are 'guessing'

Regardless of what their company policies are, they were using his contract, HIS policy.

Any idea on how he can get his money on this deal? That was the question. He didn't want a
lecture on how unprofessional he is. My God.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
938 Posts

Profile of thomasR
We don't even know if this was a professional or consumer level gig.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11953 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks for info all. It was professional gig at a 5 star hotel. I certainly do not want to create havoc here on the Café. Im not so concerned about this company hiring me again. This was a convention where I live and they came in from out of town. If they pay once a month or quarter, I feel they should have just told me that. Way back when I did school shows there was a big delay in being paid. I get that. Not knowing up front is the problem It is obvious though the woman who hired me and refuses to answer any of my emails has no clue how I am being paid. With companies, I have never had this problem so I do it though a simple contract invoice sent to them and get paid at event or sometimes a deposit if I feel its necessary.

My concern is if the woman happened to hire me without authorization. Guess I will find out. I have all the emails...

I would just like an explanation and just waiting and nothing explained really bothers me. If its being unprofessional calling and asking, I guess I am just that....not needing it to pay bills right now but the principal is I gave extra to this gig, more time then I was allotted and then feel I am getting the business from them.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Correct, but most trade or industry shows (if this is what this truly was) are professional markets. However, I do realize that some here mistakenly refer to local business expos and other such events as "trade shows." By the sound of the payment problem it leads me to believe this could be a trade show though.

This is why I asked the OP the questions I have, to learn for sure and to get more of the facts surrounding this situation, which will help to offer proper advice.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Decomposed

You have every right to your money. Bug'em until they pay you.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, thomasR wrote:
We don't even know if this was a professional or consumer level gig.

thomasR, also based on what we know, the OP has a job/blue career outside of performing, the types of performances he has done, his attempt on AGT and the area he is in is what I have made my beliefs.

I don't believe a deposit was requested/received, his definition of "performing professionally for ten years" means something completely different than working professional markets for ten years, and working for companies is much different than working professional markets as has been established long ago.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2496 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
This is why I asked the OP the questions I have, to learn for sure and to get more of the facts surrounding this situation, which will help to offer proper advice.

Great, can't wait to read the advice!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mindpro

What do you mean by “his attempt on AGT? He WAS ON it. I watched it, he did a great job.
That’s all that is required to get credit for being there.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11953 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I just want to get paid. Its more the principal of the issue. And not getting answers or an explanation from the company I think is unprofessional. I am independent. I receive plenty of gigs, more then I can handle. But regardless of what kind of performer I am, the company reached out to me, not the other way around. I accepted the gig and performed strolling at a 5 star hotel for 2 hours. Actually longer. The woman was pleased and as the norm, plenty of accolades from the ones I entertained. But right now I thank everyone. I really wanted to know if this ever happened to anyone. Not necessarily the delay but its like I never even worked for them now.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sure he did. Your point?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11953 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
Mindpro

What do you mean by “his attempt on AGT? He WAS ON it. I watched it, he did a great job.
That’s all that is required to get credit for being there.

Tom

LOL, I think he meant I did not make it all the way Tom. That was years ago, thanks for you kindness.
Smile Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It wasn't "kindness" it was just taking something else out of context in an attmept to get more attacks in on Danny or myself.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So were you actually on the trade show floor performing? Was it actually a trade show (not many trade shows take place in 5 star hotels)? Was there a deposit received?

Now in retrospect, was there anything your felt you could have done differently?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, Decomposed wrote:
I just want to get paid. Its more the principal of the issue. And not getting answers or an explanation from the company I think is unprofessional. I am independent. I receive plenty of gigs, more then I can handle. But regardless of what kind of performer I am, the company reached out to me, not the other way around. I accepted the gig and performed strolling at a 5 star hotel for 2 hours. Actually longer. The woman was pleased and as the norm, plenty of accolades from the ones I entertained. But right now I thank everyone. I really wanted to know if this ever happened to anyone. Not necessarily the delay but its like I never even worked for them now.

Yes you just want to be paid. And should.

I personally would ignore advice from people who never do this sort of thing. Certainly ignore those who advocate using a firearm to get it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11953 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
So were you actually on the trade show floor performing? Was it actually a trade show (not many trade shows take place in 5 star hotels)? Was there a deposit received?

Now in retrospect, was there anything your felt you could have done differently?

You know MP it was the weirdest tradeshow I ever worked. I normally dislike trade shows but this was more of a mixer and it appeared lots of companies had booked rooms also and had entertainers. So the woman said tradeshow but that was across the street at the convention center. This was more of a mixer....people coming in and out with the traditional name tags. This was at night. But to see the hotel rooms all booked, a stilt walker when I left etc was really neat. Also star war characters walking around the halls.

And no, no deposit. But company is legit, woman had to have received approval because it was many weeks in the making. When she hired me, I sent an email and contract to her and also W9. Woman does work there, company email etc etc. Now that was then. Several phone calls, hard copy of contract invoice mailed to company, spoke with guy who called me back etc..

Differently, no not really. Especially with a major company. Private gig, certainly I have to be aware and getting scammed there is a real possibility. Only once though a woman wanted to meet and pay me the next day. I ended that discussion right there. But with companies, its never been this lack of communication.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2496 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:

Come on now, you don't need this info to offer the advice.
Can't wait until the advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Not Being Paid For GIG (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL