The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The business side . . . (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Station10
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
177 Posts

Profile of Station10
As I'm working developing a concept and persona I can't help but thinking that the ultimate goal is to eventually perform. Of course performing then entails dealing with all sorts of "business" stuff. For those of us that are new or inexperienced in this avenue questions abound. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that is looking for answers.

So, are there any links, books, articles, blogs, podcasts or advice you can give in regards to some of these areas:

Finding a venue (home, small gathering, parlor, stage)
advertising
length of show
how to price
essential business tools needed
insurance
wardrobe

I'm sure that doing bizarre, spiritualism, mentalism and all other areas of the spook & mysterious magic have their own nuances that need to be addressed different from other mainstream magic or birthday party magic. Public perception and opposition can be greater for this type of performances.

Thanks in advance for any input!
John Gilmore
www.blindeyemagi.com

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3286 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I assume you have a job at the moment and you are planning to go into full time bizarre magic performance from your statement. If not, then these avenues are not important. If so, then you need to focus on developing your persona and routine. I had a lot of fun performing at places like The Nightmare Factory and they handled all the business parts of the show. You probably need to take a few moments to define where you plan to go with this before you leap too far the wrong way. If you plan to do all your own business, you would do well to get someone to do all of that for you (maybe a good friend or spouse)so you can focus on what is important. Unless you are super energetic, doing all of it may be a bit much if you plan to do this full time and few artist have the skills to do it all because the skills needed require using both sides of the brain. Just my opinion.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
508 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
What Willie said! BBoB has a section dealing with finding venues.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The business side . . . (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL