The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Penguin Live Lecture (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I posted a detailed review, but it could take 1-2 days for them to post it (according to Penguin). My last review took 3 1/2 weeks to show up.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
656 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I was passingly familiar with David Parr. I have a copy of his book Paper Prophecies, had seen him on an old Eugene Burger video, and had read the occasional forum posting. I started the lecture expecting a pleasant diversion with a few gems. Not only did it exceed my expectations, but I finished the lecture energized & excited about the possibilities of my own magic practice. Not only are there great effects I plan on getting started with today and ideas I plan to adopt in the future, but David's discourse on theory is incredibly clear and practical.

This lecture isn't filled with new ways of divining pin codes, variations on centre tears, or re-hashings of Annemann, but is instead filled with something much rarer... uniqueness and originality. The effects are idiosyncratic in their inception and elegant in their execution, while at the same time being commercially performable in almost any situation from the stage to the living-room.

Many of the effects involve compelling objects that you can leave with the participant. The thaumatrope routine is going to be performed as is, and the paper fortune-teller will be made up with a more “esoteric” angle (David: thinking of quaternaries, the 4 elements will work. Earth, Air, Water, Flame/Fires). There is also a mental card trick that fooled me badly, a beautiful & classical effect with an origami bird, and and extremely engaging & dramatic interpretation of classic “acid test” called Dinner with the Borgias.

David's theoretical discourse was worth the price of admission. Instead of invoking vagueries like wonder and enchantment, he offers clear and cogent advice on structure, drawn from a lifetime on the stage as a dramatist. You will walk away with concrete advice on how to conceptualize and contextualize what you do. Whether you are interested in narrative on stage, or just like to do a series of tricks, you will have some tools to instantly improve your scripting, delivery or patter.

I am a long time fan of the Penguin lecture series, but am not often compelled to write a review. There will be something of substance for everyone on this video. Recommended.
http://www.mediumarts.ca: Psychic Entertainment & Contemporary Art
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
867 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks for posting a review, Tony. I hope folks are enjoying the lecture and finding the ideas useful. And I hope it encourages Penguin to continue booking a wide variety of artists for these online lectures.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
867 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Lucien, thank you! That is a very thoughtful review and I hope you know how much I appreciate the time you took to write it. Really.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
867 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I just watched about an hour of the lecture and I want to say to anyone else who will watch this: Be prepared to spend time with someone who talks with his hands. A lot.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
867 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Many thanks to everyone who has purchased my Penguin Live lecture, and especially to those folks who have posted reviews! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8078

In addition to Lucien's review, posted earlier in this thread, there are reviews by Tony Iacoviello, and Christian Cagigal, as well as some magicians who might be encountering my work for the first time. If you've enjoyed the lecture, please consider posting a review/rating, which will help direct other magi toward it who might have similar interests. It will also encourage Penguin to continue booking a variety of performers with different approaches and styles. Here are some nifty quotes from the reviews so far:

"This is a wonderful lecture, the material is fantastic and there is something here for most everyone. And David was a delightful and gracious teacher. This is on my list of top Penguin lectures."

"This lecture ranks up there with the best I've seen at Penguin -- and I've seen some good ones. Awesome lecture, a pleasure to watch. Entertaining and enlightening."

"This is the Best Penguin Lecture Ever. Period. Every effect is usable and has a valuable lesson in it. Beginner or advanced, there's something for everyone. I'm excited to use this material!"

"If you get this lecture, that means more people will do this material, then I can't have it all to myself. So just don't. Let me keep it all!"

"David Parr's lecture was stunning, the only lecture that kept me captivated from start to finish. If only all lectures lived up to this standard."

"Not only did it exceed my expectations, but I finished the lecture energized and excited about the possibilities of my own magic practice."

"An excellent lecture!"

"I keep coming back to his lecture to watch it again."

"His explanations are meticulous and show so much passion and care."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Penguin Live Lecture (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL