The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Casual bizarre? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Is there such a thing as casual bizarre?

I'm an amatuer, casual only performer. I do tricks in single or double bursts, lasting about five or ten minutes. Is it ever possible to do something bizarre like that, or is it not possible?
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
284 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Doing just one insane thing and walking away is very strong magick. It is one of my favorite things to do. I am well know by my friends that I like to go to antique shops and thrift stores looking for weird finds for my collection. I show them my strange finds and tell them little stories. . . this box I found at the thrift store gave me the creeps, I just had to buy it. . . . the funny thing is if you put anything on top of the box sometimes the item moves. . . sometimes I hear a faint tapping in the box. . . Most of the time NOTHING at all happens, I take weeks to build up weird tails and stories so when the stars are right and I try the weird experiment I cooked up by reading weird books and watching ghost hunter shows. . . and some LITTLE thing happens, a feather moves or a block of wood falls over their minds are blown. . . This can very strong stuff, very bizarre! I love attempting things that fail completely, just to prove I am not just doing magic tricks.

If you just do an hour of tricks one after another that all work perfectly, well if you are not very very careful it will end up looking like a "magic show". I know people that can pull off an hour bizarre show, it is a very rare and hard thing.

Being a casual bizarre performer is easy and fun. Your effects can com across very strong. You will learn a great deal doing casual bizarre. Relax, have fun. Play.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Thanks for the response cocomax Smile. So you think that casual bizarre really can work Smile. I'm glad. I have a soft spot for the macabre and the spooky, the weird and the Lovecraftian Smile. It's just that most bizarre seems to be so involved and take longer than I usually have ...
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2132 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Cocomax, your approach is wonderful. You are ALWAYS in character and it has the shape of REAL magick. Well done!

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
655 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I'd say Tony Chris's work falls into that category.
http://www.mediumarts.ca: Psychic Entertainment & Contemporary Art
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
339 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Blister!

Jack Kent Tillar really created a fast, stand alone, no set-up masterpiece however, it can also be part of a longer thing.

TEB3/Lary/Traveler
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
I have a really big, old brass key that sticks out over both sides of my hand that I do the haunted key with, and it makes for a GREAT "casual" or walk-around effect. It can be ESP OR "haunted" depending on the atmosphere. I open all my kid birthday shows with it: it's the Key that unlocks their Imagination if they watch it closely and imagine that it is actually turning in my hand.

Another one that can be "bizarre" casual is Crazy Man's Handcuffs; I keep about 6 #19 rubber bands on my wrist every day and use it as a demonstration of how certain combinations of friction and breath vapor can cause the rubber to melt momentarily. It gets truly shocked looks.

I think the key to casual bizarre is to create a persona that is a collector of oddities that fit in a pocket. Avoid bulky performance pieces that require the right atmosphere and just start collecting small strange things for your "collection." Think "Warehouse 13" in your pockets. Bugs preserved in acrylic, antique photos of strange looking people, beautiful crystals or gemstones, old packs of (m@rk*d) cards, strange rings, big antique keys to an old asylum, prison or mausoleum, just anything you can keep in a pocket to show people and tell a quick story.

Honestly, I think one of the best things you could do to get inspiration for casual bizarre is to watch old episodes of Scooby Doo and The Munsters.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Nice ideas professor magic Smile. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Casual bizarre? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL