The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jordan Count tricks (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ah, okay, that makes sense, Kieran. Thanks for letting me know.

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Kartenkunste- Ortiz
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, magicfish.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Check out some of Aldo Colombini routines. His Italian Salad card trick is awesome.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Among the Discards by Simon Aronson uses a Jordan Count. It is also a Very good card trick.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, terillific and stickmondoo -- lots of riches out there! I'll check these out.
baronborrelli
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
46 Posts

Profile of baronborrelli
I have been doing card tricks for over thirty years, and I am not quite sure what the Jordan count is (embarrassed to say). Did a quick search in Hugard and Tarbell (paper, not digital) and found nothing. I have been doing Elmsley count for years, and I can do it both hands, forwards backwards. My guess is, I do the Jordan count, but I don’t associate the sleight I do with the name.

If someone can message me and just provide a couple of hints, it would be appreciated. I did check on the Internet but the I saw three or four different false counts described (I suspect incorrectly) as Jordan counts. Thanks
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Baronborelli, do you have the Card College series? Giobbi describes it there. Ian Kendall describes it in his Basic Training (lybrary.com), and I'm pretty sure Daryl does in his Encylopedia of Card Sleights. Giobbi has comprehensive indices in volumes 4 and 5, but I know he covers Jordan in either vol. 2 or vol. 3.

Welcome to the Café! I wish *I'd* been doing card tricks for thirty years! I've been working on magic for three years now, and am still a relative beginner. (My Elmsley count is coming along well, though.)

Bob
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Another Rumor by Chad Long uses the Jordan (or Ghost) count.
I believe I learned the count from Counts Cuts Moves and Subtlety, by Jerry Mentzer, 1977. The instructions for the Jordan mentions that the completion of a Jordan leaves you set up for an Elmsley count (and vice-versa). I practiced by doing Elmsley-Jordan-Elmsley, etc.

Douglas
tylerb
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tylerb
Some of Paul Gordons tricks use the jordan count. Look at his 4 killer packet tricks on his site and his books are packed full of them. Mind Boggler from Pauls book article 52 uses a bunch of jordan counts.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
You might want to check out The Royal Acrobats in CC 2. That uses both an Elmsley and a Jordan. It's a great trick.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tyler, Douglas, and K. To the first two of you: for some reason I just got your posts.

Note to K: I'll definitely look that up. My Elmsley count has gotten a lot better, and I'll be putting up a second video for people to critique. I share your love of Giobbi, as you know.

Note to Douglas: Minor correction. I'm 99% sure that Elmsley called his count the "Ghost Count." I don't think the Jordan count is called that. Smile

Bob
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Many packet tricks use Jordan Counts. I just ran across a Cameron Francis trick from Moment's Notice 10 (Precursor) that uses it. Caleb Wiles' Travelers for Jack uses it. And David Regal's Red Streamlined Convertible, an Ace assembly with odd-backed aces, uses it quite a bit.

It's worth noting that the Jordan Count is something of an inverse of the Elmsley Count. That is, the cards that are hidden in an Elmsley Count end up at the back of the packet, in position for a Jordan Count. If you perform a Jordan Count immediately after an Elmsley, you will display the same "four" cards and end up back in position for another Elmsley Count. So you can keep switching between an Elmsley and a Jordan forever, hiding the same card(s) each time. A good way to practice both sleights. It has also saved me a time or two when, after doing an Elmsley, someone has said "wait, show me those cards again." Now what do you do? You do a Jordan Count. And then of course another Elmsley at some point and you're right back in position.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Mike,

I never thought of using the Jordan count if asked to show cards again. Clever. Here's a question: if you follow Elmsley by Jordan, are *all* the cards in the packet in the same order as they were originally?
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Mike,

Here's a question: if you follow Elmsley by Jordan, are *all* the cards in the packet in the same order as they were originally?

Indeed they are, and I should have clarified that's what I meant by Jordan and Elmsley being inverses. All cards are back in their original order when performing the two counts back-to-back. Try it for yourself.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I will! And I'm very happy to hear it.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Magic Ronnay's "Sympathetic Cards" from Emerson & West is still one of my favorite packet tricks. Bought it in the 70's or early 80's. Uses EC and JC
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, FlightRisk. Sounds like this might be out of print, but I'll see if I can find it. Would you mind described the effect briefly?

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I found a description -- sounds like a fun trick, though perhaps above my level at the moment. No luck so far finding the marketed trick or a detailed set of instructions.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Sad when things disappear and it is hard to find them. I know funinc.com had the rights and was selling the bike version of the cards (the original was with bridge sized cards). The magic gadget site has "Royal Scam" by John Bannon that seems similar. I would love to find the cards myself. Making a deck without splitting and gluing cards might be expensive because you need several of he same suit Aces with all different backs.

I have an original that is still in good shape with the instructions and the cheat sheet card (quick notes on the setup and order of counts). It isn't knuckle busting at all, but to me is memory busting Smile If you learn a JC and EC, which I think are relatively easy slights. A few weeks practice if you have a good teacher. I do both the "at the fingertips" style and the "normal dealing" style. The latter is a bit more difficult I think because you have more fingers involved and more of a coordination between hands to not flash. But once you learn this, I think it stays with you forever. However, the memorization of everything going on in that trick was a bit much for me when I was learning Smile If you don't do it often, I would imagine you have to practice all over again. Not only do you keep doing counts in the correct order, but you have to remember to keep putting the last card on the bottom of the packet, not the top as you normally would in a JC. That's why I think doing it at the fingertips is easier for this trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jordan Count tricks (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL