The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Gentleman Jack Wallet (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of alondon
Any reviews of this wallet yet?
Looks interesting
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I like how this functions. Can't actually keep money in it which is a bit of a hang up. Hopefully it comes with a few very good routines, that's what could change my mind and be the selling point for me. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in it though.
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
Thinking of buying this and would like to know the quality of the wallet.
davis1581
View Profile
New user
Bathurts, NSW, Australia.
19 Posts

Profile of davis1581
Come on Magic Caférs someone must have a review for this Gentleman Jack wallet.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic

Here are some reviews from Alakazam customers who purchased the Gentleman Jack Wallet.

CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Chris Wild

Gentleman Jack Wallet is a high quality real leather switching wallet. The design of the hip wallet makes the switch very easy and natural looking. You will come up with endless ideas to perform great magic with this wallet.
Craig Morgan

Very high quality leather. Really like the fact that it looks like a normal wallet compared to other switching designs. Also like the fact that it can be used to switch 2 cards. Think of the twisting routines that could be adapted to this. Highly recommended!
Mark Call

FINALLY a himber 'style' wallet that LOOKS like it belongs in your back pocket!

Wowza... this is NOT a cheap wallet... It's a super HIGH QUALITY hip style wallet that will pass straight from your back pocket.

The style makes it so it's easy to make the SWITCH right under their nose. And Dave Loosley's video gives even MORE possibilities!

I have a feeling that these high quality wallets won't stick around long so ORDER TWO.. like I did.. you will use this ALL the time.

PERFECT for the beginner yet stylish and quality for the working pro... you really can't go wrong with this 'Gentleman Jack' wallet!

Psst - a perfect wallet to use with effects like Symbol by Steve Cook (just to name one)
Ross Warnett

Great Wallet. Love the Dave routine with the black cards and how you can switch the card will so little effect and all looks normal. I look forward to more routines
Dr..Mike Highton

Mount Olympus has cast down a mighty wallet!!!
Well, at last a normal looking change/ switch/add on type wallet where the 'dirty stuff' just happens almost naturally. Unique in terms of wallets.
The possibility of fast and entertaining effects has at last 'come out to play'.
I hope the ensuing effects are not long winded and dull in presentation. This wallet deserves novel and imaginative handlings.
I can't wait to see a version of 'add a number' for a one to one presentation. That would be a demanding test???
David Thomas

It was always difficult to find a good looking, compact, 'real wallet' Himber/switching wallet. The Gentleman Jack solves that problem. It's beautifully designed and manufactured.

It is expensive, but if you're looking for real quality, then this is for you.
Matthias N.

First impression, noble quality but another Himber Wallet.
Then I tried the handling and watched the video from David. And at the same time I have noticed that the switching is so smooth and easy.
I believe, that this wallet will be one of my favourite items for the next performances.
Christian Fisanick

I have a few Himber/Z-style switching wallets, and this is one of the best. It is beautifully made and inconspicuous, as it has slots for license, credit cards, and bank notes. It looks like a hip wallet that any ordinary, everyday Joe would carry and doesn't scream gimmick. (I also really like my Alan Wong Himber wallet that magnetically locks, but it is huge and is only natural looking if you carry it in a jacket pocket.) On the right of each switching side is a nice, flat panel that is perfect for small Post-it notes to do an Add-a-Number effect. For now, there is a short video with Dave Loosley who explains how to do the switch--his method is very slick indeed--and a few routines. But you are only limited by your imagination. I am a wallet collector/junkie, and this is a beauty. Yep, it's expensive, but every serious mentalist should have something of this quality.
Gary Brown

I have a number of wallets in my collection (not all Himber Wallets), and this one is definitely one of my favourites.

The wallet comes well packaged in a very nifty looking box. The quality of the leather is excellent, and the wallet itself is very streamlined. It looks like an everyday wallet that will fly past anyone without difficulty or drawing any attention; this is compounded by the available slots to accommodate cards / notes etc.

The initial video that Dave presents is excellent, and whets the appetite with some great ideas; despite their relative simplicity I love the card routines and I am sure they will receive great reactions. Looking forward to the full video when it is compiled.

I was happy enough with the price and I am not disappointed in any way by the wallet - another excellent product from Alakazam that offers great potential for multiple effects.
Steve Black

I was not surprised because this is an Alakazam product BUT the quality and design is superb.The switch is slick and easy to perform. Dave teaches the mechanics in a clear and concise way with some clever routines. He also explains that the official launch will bring many new ideas FOC once the product has been registered. Can't wait !!! Highly recommended !!!!
Peter Rees

Others have already commented on the excellent quality of this wallet. Looking at all the possibilities for worker effects, the intro lesson by Dave summarizes a number principles and presentation ideas.

You can build on and link these into a longer routine and also load up the wallet with other 'slim' effects, like 'Will to Read' and 'Volition' and you have a killer setup.

Tip top.
Paul Heaney

This wallet is made from top quality leather. It is thin and looks just like a wallet you would keep in your back pocket. I like that is has a locking feature when opened. It is not designed to be used as your everyday wallet but it is very good at the job it is designed for. It is expensive but it is a quality item. If you want a himber style wallet that is small and looks natural then this is the item for you.
Dr. Christopher Faria

I'm always on the lookout for a good wallet. When I saw the "RAR," in the title, I knew something good was up. Having been introduced to one of the first Bendix Bombshell's back in the 70's, I hoped for the best.
GJ is nicely packaged, nestled in its own foam surroundings; i.e., it isn't going to get smashed or folded on its way to you. Inside is your card with info for your teaching video(s)- More on the way.
Quality of the wallet- It is stiff. What do you expect? It is a new leather wallet. I don't want it flopping around. It is well stitched outside and inside.
The "Gimmick"- Again, well done. If you know what you're looking at... you know what you're looking for. I would NOT recommend you carry this in your hip pocket. It will bend the leather and eventually the gimmick. I have a similar notebook style one of these and I wouldn't carry that in my hip pocket either because I don't want it coming out looking like a limp, bent fish.

"Style"- Do NOT use this like a magic prop. People do not hand out wallets "for examination" or "please hold my wallet... where I keep my money and credit cards." You take things out and put them back! It is a STYLISH, well made accessory that will last you 10, 20 years if you take care of it.

Summary: A WELL-MADE accessory for the Gentleman magician and mentalist at a VERY low price for everything you receive.
Bill Richards

I wasn't actually on the lookout for another wallet ... my favourite by far to date has been the Real Man's Wallet ... I'm sure there are others that do it too, but that was exactly the kind of wallet I wanted to carry around with me, to keep my money in and use on a daily basis and also have there for a really organic card to wallet routine.

Then today I saw this puppy advertised. I had actually wanted a himber wallet, but none of them seemed to hit the mark for me, always looking too clunky or not hip-wallet styled etc.

I have to say that I bought it on the back of a well placed facebook ad for Alakazam (see guys, advertising does work!)

I don't have it yet, but can't wait to get it because it will add heaps to my impromptu routine ... lotto square, cartomancy, will to read.

I really can't wait to get it in the post.
Colin Stainton

Great advice from Peter again and I'm pleased I bought this wallet.

Such a brilliant bit of kit to have. It's thin, light, made of a good quality leather and opens up many possibilities.

If you're looking for a himber wallet, I highly recommend you look at this one.

Well worth every penny.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
davis1581
View Profile
New user
Bathurts, NSW, Australia.
19 Posts

Profile of davis1581
Thankyou GTX Magic I will be purchasing based on your reviews
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Yeah, thanks gtx, might have to look at this closer.
MikeLiu
View Profile
Regular user
vancouver
120 Posts

Profile of MikeLiu
Interesting !
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I cant wait to retire so I can give reviews of wallets.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney

Title: The Gentleman Jack Gimmick (DVD and Online Instructions) by RAR
Creator: RAR
Publisher: Alakazam
MSRP: $ 69
Skill Level: All
DVD Run time: 39 minutes

Type of effect: Himber wallet

Manufacturer's Write Up: In 2016, Alakazam Magic purchased the rights to a majority of Roy Roth's (RAR MAGIC) back catalogue.

The first item to really catch their eye from this large product array was the amazing Gentleman Jack Gimmick.

The basis of the gimmick is a Himber wallet with a switching function, but the wallet is cleverly disguised as a standard-looking hip pocket wallet (this is the first time we have seen a Himber in this style, and we love it!) But not only that -- The Gentleman Jack also works as an Add a Number Pad and makes for the perfect hideout for your cribs! So, if you are performing a book test, you never need to remember the words. With this cunning device, they are always there for you.

The Gentleman Jack Gimmick has been expertly crafted in leather. It comes complete with a tutorial DVD and our now-famous registration code, which will give you access to any future routines, handlings or tips for the wallet absolutely FREE of charge!

How accurate is the ad copy? Accurate

What's in the box? Wallet – DVD and a stack of post-it notes

Key points: You'll perform miracles with this!

How are the production values: Mostly it’s David Loosely talking to a stationary camera, and some secondary close up shots of the table top. Everything is well mic’d and well shot – Alakazam makes great videos.

Is it well made: This amazing wallet is truly a step ahead any other Himber-Style wallet I’ve seen. Thick, stiff and strong single stitch leather.

What tricks are included? You’ll learn….

Book page force
Daryls’ Dream Card force
Free card selection / prediction / blank deck
Hidden crib idea

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It’s just a wallet – packs flat!

Does it "play big?" It’s a wonderful classic of magic familiar to most magicians – easily inserted into some of your favorite effects.

Difficulty / Skill level required: Super easy to master

How much arts and crafts are involved? Only a smidge if you adopt the post-it note idea (see my video for more details)

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) real world ready

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

__X___ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts I’ve been looking for a realistic himber wallet for sometime and my search is finally over. You’ll be proud to carry this one.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0NOBGHHnpY
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Great review. looks like a winner
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
A fantastic item, created by a fantastic person: Gentleman Jack!

Yes, there is a real human being behind this wallet, a friend of Roy Roth's, who was the owner of R.A.R. Magic.

Tommy 'Gentleman Jack' Iversen (30.04.1921 – 18.11.1984) was born in Randers, Denmark but lived here, in Malmo, Sweden.
He was, as said above, one of Roy Roths friend. And it was Tommy who designed this wallet, and Roy manufactured it.

I have an early plastic mock up prototype of this, given to me by Tommy 'Gentleman Jack' himself.
And I am proud to have had him and his lovely wife as good fiends during many years in the 70:s and 80:s.

Tommy and Roy Roth were the same kind of jolly gentlemen and I remember some fantastic moments spending with them at late and long magic convention nights hearing them telling memories from old showbusiness times!

I don't know if Peter Nardi is aware of this background, I just wanted to contribute some grains to the history of magic.

You can read more of the Pickpocket Artist and magician Gentleman Jack on this Tribute Web Page created by another Pickpocket Artist, Kenny Quinn:
http://kennyquinn.eu/home/?page_id=464&lang=en
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Regarding my post above.

I have recently ordered The Gentleman Jack Wallet from Alakazam, but I have not received it yet. Therefore I do not know what DavidKenney, in his excellent review above, means when he says that Peter Nardi talks on the instructional DVD about the background of this wallet and R.R.R. and of Roy Roth.

If not, now you know. Smile
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
I am quite satisfied with this Himber-style wallet which I received recently from Alakazam. I would use it only as a magic prop because it cannot be an everyday wallet. In fact, a point is made on the DVD not to load it up with too much. A couple of business cards, maybe a credit card and 2-3 post-it notes per side is just about right. I have been using JOL's mini-Himber wallet up to now, in beautiful soft leather. It does the job, as well, and doesn't look like a Himber, but it doesn't quite look like a wallet either. The Gentleman Jack is made of stiffer leather and - on brief examination - looks just like a back pocket wallet.
Kurtis Chin
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Kurtis Chin
I recently purchased this and very happy with construction, albeit a bit on the stiff side. I'm also loving the fact that this is a wallet in the style of a back pocket type wallet.

Having said that, I like the routine that David Loosely performs in the trailer. I have written Alakazam twice (via the website) and have PM'd Peter Nardi on this forum asking him if this routine will be available, as it is not on the DVD, but no response. Is there a better way to contact Alakazam? Does anyone have a source for this routine on Loosely's trailer?

Thanks
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Kurtis Chin wrote:
I recently purchased this and very happy with construction, albeit a bit on the stiff side. I'm also loving the fact that this is a wallet in the style of a back pocket type wallet.

Having said that, I like the routine that David Loosely performs in the trailer. I have written Alakazam twice (via the website) and have PM'd Peter Nardi on this forum asking him if this routine will be available, as it is not on the DVD, but no response. Is there a better way to contact Alakazam? Does anyone have a source for this routine on Loosely's trailer?

Thanks

If you have the wallet and watch the video it is very easy to work out how to do the routine 😀
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2017, rowland wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Kurtis Chin wrote:

Thanks

If you have the wallet and watch the video it is very easy to work out how to do the routine 😀

I also ordered the wallet (have not got it yet) and in the email that confirmed my order I found a download code, a download ID, and a link to my account. In my account was a video file with David Loosley, performing and explaning this and other routines. This video was released and added to the description before the DVD was produced. Check your email and I am sure you will find it.
Kurtis Chin
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Kurtis Chin
Thanks for that Thomas. I briefly looked at the download assuming it had the same content as the DVD.

Hey Rowland: Even though I have been in this hobby for over 30 years with books to fill my wall, I was not smart enough to suss this out (actually, I didn't even try)....I suppose that is why I still love this hobby, as I am so easily fooled and therefore continue to fill my drawers with "stuff"... LOL!
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Kurtis Chin wrote:
Thanks for that Thomas. I briefly looked at the download assuming it had the same content as the DVD.

Hey Rowland: Even though I have been in this hobby for over 30 years with books to fill my wall, I was not smart enough to suss this out (actually, I didn't even try)....I suppose that is why I still love this hobby, as I am so easily fooled and therefore continue to fill my drawers with "stuff"... LOL!

lol it's refreshing to hear you say that. I certainly love it when I am fooled 😀
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Kurtis Chin wrote:

Just a quick reminder. I looked at the downloaded video and found the routine explained at 17:56, but you probably found it already. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Gentleman Jack Wallet (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL