The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Incredible Coinmagic - America’s Got Talent 2017 (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Supernice coinmagic!

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Amazing!

I've been saying for years, this is what the progression of magic is all about. It starts with the simplicity of Matrix, and then through sheer creativity and awesome ability, it becomes something out of this world, something so much more than it ever was. This is yet another wonderful example. Just awesome!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Ah, he learned all that from me. Smile

That looked a little too magical. I'm jealous
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Wow! That is just great. Quite simply ... magical.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Is this for real? Come on!, I am now a true believer, Magic exists...
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I think this is awesome, but I see no actual sleight of hand at play here; only when the cards vanish though.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
That's just the beauty of it. Sleights or no sleights, it's the end result that counts. And in this case, it looks like real magic!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Yeah. Effect is everything!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Stunning and artistic.

Looks great. Maybe too perfect for my sensibilities but I liked the routine it sure went over well with the judges and audience as magical. Bravo!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Very magical in execution and timing.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Like it or not, we are in an intensely visual age. magic that is INTENSELY visual matches the spirit of this age, and
is what is almost required for a magic trick to be perceived as magical. so kudos to you, Will!!!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
In the early 80's a man from France did a comedy matrix at a Desert Seminar in Las Vegas.
He also did a rocks over the head bit. I can't remember his name.
That performance memory plus a nod to Del Ray- through this magician brought the AGT crowd to its feet and a smile to my face.
Effect
Effect
Effect
&
Simplicity of A B A format
Rose Petals to Coin to Rose Petals
&
Connection to our audiences make priceless connections.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
All I can say to that routine is HOLEY MOLEY (insert another word). I don't care how it was done. That was just like what magic should look like. Every time
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
Wow! Just wow!
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Michael Rubinstein I'm proud of you.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I thought the effect was great, although hard to follow on from in terms of instant visuals if he progresses. I have no issues with the gaffed/no sleight of hand nature of it either, as when you see the work that went into Tommy Wonder's table etc., is this not just a high tech update?

I do have concern that 'real world magic' may struggle to get TV exposure in the future, but then again for real people, not such an issue. For a few years, I was regularly asked if I could put a phone in a bottle (Dynamo), but I had a few lines and effects which meant that it was never a problem.

I generally take the view that if people get interested in magic and it gets exposure, then that's a good thing.
Charlie
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
This may dredge up discussions of the "too perfect theory" with all of its ramifications.

When the observers thinks "must be video trick" or "pre-shot streaming video" or "special table" - whatever, the following question mist be "where is the magic?"

Yes, this is "magical" by modern definition, but I question that it triggers the same internal responses in the mind of the observer as a live performance without special props.

Not judging here. I might use "run-rabbit-run" with kids (self working prop), but don't feel it is 'magic" in the same way as having two coins change places in spectator's hands.

What is the performer trying to accomplish? What will the observer remember and relate to others?

If a friend asks for a demonstration of magic, I will not refer them to this video. If they ask, "Can astonishment be entertaining?" I might.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
True story: earlier this evening I was at the Castle and a few of us were having this almost exact same discussion regarding that routine; the ramifications for the future of magic and audience expectations Etc.. a couple hours later I was doing some coin magic for some nice folks and they asked, almost jokingly, if I could do that trick the guy did on AGT. I did Dean Tonight Show Matrix and Dean's assembly with backfire (unpublished) and they said something along the lines of "wow it's one thing to see it on TV but when you see it in real life right under your face it's so amazing!" We've all heard people tell us this before and I think we will all continue to..

Regarding methodology I will just say the best way I've found to figure out almost any trick is to look for the superfluous caveats.. even if it doesn't use sleight of hand moves in the way that we normally think of them if involves a lot of timing, coordination, Rhythm, direction, and skill; so in the long run it's kind of the same thing.. Methodology aside that was a totally amazing routine!! So fun!!
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Poof, I am not sure I agree with your post, this is one of the most entertaining pieces of magic I have seen. Lot of people watched in person and many more on TV saw a miracle happened, what could be wrong with that. Almost all Coppefield effects and most of P&T are heavily gimmicked. Will you have the same question with their approach on where the magic is going? At the end is the intention of any art to entertain/impress/dazzle people?
Also adding the video in slow motion is showing to everybody how the trick works, not cool with the artist, It should be removed.

I think that Jonathan post, that the trick is too perfect for his taste could brought the point home in a better way.

Also Tyler_rabbit post above shows something interesting, thanks to the AGT, he was able to show a similar trick to a group of people and for those people that watch it Tyler was as good (or better) as Will, really a nice moment for Tyler. The method used is only a magician discussion that disregard the actual moment of magic that happens in the eyes of the spectator.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Dean Dill's Tonight Show Matrix is published in book and on a Reel Magic video.

However the kid did that coin work, it looked great
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Incredible Coinmagic - America’s Got Talent 2017 (44 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL