The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Temporarily Out of Order Review Vs. Memorandum - Who will win?? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On May 28, 2017, Dave the Knave wrote::
You're applying some serious torque to my arm...

And to my wallet.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
Worth it!
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
131 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
It's on its way...
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
While people debate the relative merits of these two books (I have them on order and I can't wait to get my hands on them both), I have been enjoying Pit Hartling's latest opus, "In Order to Amaze." Pit has a way of working with effects to the point that he appears to squeeze every bit of entertainment value inherent in the premise. His presentations are honed over many, many actual performances. What's more, he has given a considerable amount of thought to every aspect of the effect and provides the reader with a number of variations and alternatives.

To top it all off, the make-up of this book is gorgeous. Much thought has been given to the layout, typeface, end papers, stunning full-color illustrations, even the choice of paper. It's a beautiful book, in the same lofty category as Andi Gladwin's stunning "Jack Parker's 52 Memories." And, just like the case with Andi's book, the material truly deserves this royal treatment.
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
131 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Pit Hartling's book.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
Did you get it yet?
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1305 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Is there a version of ACAAN in Patrick's new book?
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Hi Magic-Daniel. I have published so many different versions of ACAAN but there isn't one in this book. That said there are things that might feel that way to you that are just as interesting. O.F.M. is one of my favorites (for instance) where a participant looks at and looks at any card in the pack, names it and you tell them the position. Then as a second phase this is repeated, but this time they don't tell you the card. You not only are able to tell them what card t hey thought of but also the position it is from the top. During this entire process the deck is being cut into multiple piles and mixed and reassembled in a different order. It's an interesting effect methodologically and devastating to both laymen and those magicians who aren't "in the know."
dr_catman
View Profile
New user
Singapore
74 Posts

Profile of dr_catman
Just started going through this gem last night! So much to digest but it's written really well and makes it easy to understand and appreciate. Thanks so much for releasing this Patrick. Makes me now want to order Applesauce! I know doing it the wrong way around lol
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Patrick, this looks so, so good. I think the biggest challenge for me would be restraint. (Read: resisting doing all that can be done with the stack). This is beautiful work.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
DrBrewhaha
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DrBrewhaha
Really hoping the next book comes out soon.
Churken2
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Churken2
Both books are amazing. I think we all win by studying both. Having seen both Redford and Aragon perform with their memorized stacks, I can tell you that they are both fantastic. Just watching them is a clinic.

I have been using Aronson Stack for over 20 years and have not quite committed to learning a new stack. If I had to choose one book to study for the rest of my life, it would be Mnemonica by Tamariz.

I find T.O.O. to be on the same level as Mnemonica with the variety of effects. I have lightly memorized Redford Stack and will really get it down over the next few months as I work with the principles. Who knows, maybe it will ultimately replace Aronson.

Memorandum also has a ton of insight, but is too gambling heavy for my work.

I am anxiously awaiting volume 2 of both books. I understand Redford actually has at least two more books on the way.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4693 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, ash2arani wrote:
The fact that you can easily move between Si Stebbins and Redford stack makes this a winner. And the fact that you can easily to get into many setups including 26! by Caleb Wiles, Chaos by Pit Hartling, and Ultimate Hold em by Jack Carpenter seals the deal for me (I love all 3 effects).

I recently purchased T.O.O. used (should be here soon) and I have long been wanting to grab Jack Carpenter's "Ultimate Hold 'em". Does the book teach how to set up for this effect? or, does the Hold 'em effect tell you how to set up from T.O.O.? I am guessing you still need to buy both the book and the Carpenter effect (or is it included in the book with Mr Carpenter's permission)?

Thanks.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
255 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I recently purchased T.O.O. used (should be here soon) and I have long been wanting to grab Jack Carpenter's "Ultimate Hold 'em". Does the book teach how to set up for this effect? or, does the Hold 'em effect tell you how to set up from T.O.O.? I am guessing you still need to buy both the book and the Carpenter effect (or is it included in the book with Mr Carpenter's permission)?

You'll still need to acquire the Ultimate Hold 'em book separately, but it's worth it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4693 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Thanks for the answer. I did get, and read, and really love, the book. I also will be getting the Carpenter Routine now.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
teenagelabotomy42
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of teenagelabotomy42
I really like Woody, but for me Memorandum had so many poker tricks and I just find those boring.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2952 Posts

Profile of niva
Am I the only crazy one trying to learn all three? I got Mnemonica and Redford pretty much down.
Yours,

Ivan
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Not crazy at all. It's a fun goal!
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
I've been using Memorandum for about one year now, but I perform usually stack-independent tricks.

Now I'm reading T.O.O. and I love its possibilities! I've already memorized the stack, although I cannot use it fluently enough yet, I still need a lot of practice. But fortunately, it seems that I don't confuse the two stacks.

For me, the most useful property of Memorandum is that it is very easy to separate a shuffled deck into the lower and upper halves of the stack. This is because it is very unbalanced: for almost half of the cards I don't have to think about stack positions at all, but I know immediately the proper half. This enables creating a divided or alternating deck during a performance almost as fast as using red-black separation.

So each stack has its advantages. Furthermore, maybe using two decks with two different stacks also has some applications...
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of hbenod
A question to Pierre Cardinlemon:

I have started to use Memorandum. Do you use the Siamese stack? I have not seen any of these effects performed but it carries a high approval mention by Max Maven. What's you're take?

Thanks,

hbenod
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Temporarily Out of Order Review Vs. Memorandum - Who will win?? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL