The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
He created a fantastically timed routine and subtle movements to avoid suspicion. Excellent routine . See it again here....in s l o w motion.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I think his performance is excellent as long as it's treated as a stage illusion. However, something is still missing I don't know what it is. Copperfield's flying show is the most beautiful and also I don't know what it is that makes it so beautiful. I guess a hybrid of close up and stage illusion just can't achieve that level of romance.
Magic Life
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Life
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, SimonCard wrote:
I think his performance is excellent as long as it's treated as a stage illusion. However, something is still missing I don't know what it is. Copperfield's flying show is the most beautiful and also I don't know what it is that makes it so beautiful. I guess a hybrid of close up and stage illusion just can't achieve that level of romance.

You are absolutely right Simon, I think the beauty is hidden in the visual ness of the effect.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, kissdadookie wrote:
This makes zero sense. Has this affected Strange Travelers? How about the Self-Tying Shoelace? Bite-out coin? Healed and Sealed? Ambitious card? Two card monte? There were a bunch of others where the ad copy stated as seen done by David Blaine or something of the sort. Those effects still killed even when people started performing them a week after a Blaine special airs. Going by your logic, all those effects would have been worthless due to Blaine having performed them and having the ad copies reference Blaine. Blaine is also arguably far better known than Will so...

I didn't say these tricks will become uneffective. You did. It's always the same with you : stop pretending I say something I didn't.
Do I need to copy-paste what you quoted ? "And by googling his name, anyone can find Vapr, Vapr watch and other tools from Will."

Although, I do believe exposure hurts magic (especially the effects which have been exposed) to some extent, this is not what I wrote in that post. I say that I don't want people see the special props SM is selling, and to remind them that we "always" use special props (because that's the stereotype - people "know" we use special props), and letting them know the kind of marvels magicians can invent and put to the market.

It's much worse if props, instead of techniques, are exposed. Because techniques are flexible, and you can add misdirection and presentation in order to mislead the public about your true methods. But a prop, no. At least, for some of them. For instance, if ProMystic products are exposed, then even if you do a which hand effect without this special prop, people will think you used that special tool. Presentation will never save you here. If people know about Vapr watch, presentation won't save you either, nothing can.

Quote:
On May 31, 2017, magicmind wrote:
No one challenges unless it is provoked (talking down to spectator/I'm better than you attitude...etc.).

Have you seen how I'm performing in front of an audience ? Anyway, that sentence of yours obviously is wrong. You can be entertaining and yet being challenged, by attention-seekers or those who don't like magic.

It's a fallacy to say it's 100% the fault of the performer everytime something goes wrong. There are people who don't like soccer, even if they see Ronaldo and Messi playing with the ball, that doesn't make them love soccer. Yet no one would say it's because they don't play well with the ball or their team play like a group of amateurs.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Quote:
This makes zero sense. Has this affected Strange Travelers? How about the Self-Tying Shoelace? Bite-out coin? Healed and Sealed? Ambitious card? Two card monte? There were a bunch of others where the ad copy stated as seen done by David Blaine or something of the sort. Those effects still killed even when people started performing them a week after a Blaine special airs. Going by your logic, all those effects would have been worthless due to Blaine having performed them and having the ad copies reference Blaine. Blaine is also arguably far better known than Will so...

I didn't say these tricks will become uneffective. You did. It's always the same with you : stop pretending I say something I didn't.
Do I need to copy-paste what you quoted ? "And by googling his name, anyone can find Vapr, Vapr watch and other tools from Will."

Although, I do believe exposure hurts magic (especially the effects which have been exposed) to some extent, this is not what I wrote in that post. I say that I don't want people see the special props SM is selling, and to remind them that we "always" use special props (because that's the stereotype - people "know" we use special props), and letting them know the kind of marvels magicians can invent and put to the market.

It's much worse if props, instead of techniques, are exposed. Because techniques are flexible, and you can add misdirection and presentation in order to mislead the public about your true methods. But a prop, no. At least, for some of them. For instance, if ProMystic products are exposed, then even if you do a which hand effect without this special prop, people will think you used that special tool. Presentation will never save you here. If people know about Vapr watch, presentation won't save you either, nothing can.

Quote:
No one challenges unless it is provoked (talking down to spectator/I'm better than you attitude...etc.).

Have you seen how I'm performing in front of an audience ? Anyway, that sentence of yours obviously is wrong. You can be entertaining and yet being challenged, by attention-seekers or those who don't like magic.

It's a fallacy to say it's 100% the fault of the performer everytime something goes wrong. There are people who don't like soccer, even if they see Ronaldo and Messi playing with the ball, that doesn't make them love soccer. Yet no one would say it's because they don't play well with the ball or their team play like a group of amateurs.

What would it matter if people can google these effects then if your concern is not about them possibly losing effectiveness?

It's always the same with you, not making sense and then getting all butt hurt when someone doesn't agree with you, smh Smile

Let me quote you, directly:

"My only (and big) issue is that people will now know him and know that he is affiliated with SansMinds, which frequently releases magic products. And by googling his name, anyone can find Vapr, Vapr watch and other tools from Will.

I mean... I really don't want to see non-magicians looking at what the products magic dealers are selling."

CLEARLY your post implies a concern about effects becoming ineffective if laypeople can google them and see that they products being sold, the alternative would be perhaps that you are afraid of people then going on to become magicians themselves? Makes you feel less special then? LoL.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

What would it matter if people can google these effects then if your concern is not about them possibly losing effectiveness?

It's always the same with you, not making sense and then getting all butt hurt when someone doesn't agree with you, smh Smile

Let me quote you, directly:

"My only (and big) issue is that people will now know him and know that he is affiliated with SansMinds, which frequently releases magic products. And by googling his name, anyone can find Vapr, Vapr watch and other tools from Will.

I mean... I really don't want to see non-magicians looking at what the products magic dealers are selling."

CLEARLY your post implies a concern about effects becoming ineffective if laypeople can google them and see that they products being sold, the alternative would be perhaps that you are afraid of people then going on to become magicians themselves? Makes you feel less special then? LoL.

There have been more than a few articles about this that have come out the last few days that have links to SM products in them. It's almost like he is using AGT as a way to sell magic. I know that sounds like crazy talk and all...
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Will Tsai
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Will Tsai
Hi folks, old friends and new, it's Will here. Just got a moment to myself after a couple days of crazy press experience. I am super grateful that my act got such attention. I haven't had time to read through the thread. From what I have seen on the thread, some people like it, some people hate it. In both cases I am happy most were entertained either by the act or by the debate. I just want to say thank you for taking your time and allow me to share my moment with you. Quite a few PMed me and said I disgrace magic and I am not qualified to be a magician.. if I am allowed to chime in on the discussion as well, to me magic is magic. And magic is art. It's not what's involved that makes the magic, rather, the message behind the tricks that an artist wants to deliver. All the performance that I intended is in the patter. The visual was designed to assist. Art is an intimate thing for me. All I wanted to do on that stage is to share a part of the life experience from my past. How I saw life as it is when I was about to die in hospital bed a couple years ago. The chase of achievement, the way money comes and goes, and most of the time people, including myself forgot to take a moment, breathe, feel, and smile. Life is a beautiful thing... For those who stated that I am not a qualified magician or a bad magician.. I have never claimed to be good and I don't intend to. However, I was happy, that I could share a part of my life on that stage doing things I created to express just that.. Just want to leave the record here so for those who plan to message me further with how magic should be done, please understand each of us has a different story to tell, and different ways to tell them.

Just my two cents.

Best,
-will
davidredfearn
View Profile
Regular user
London
196 Posts

Profile of davidredfearn
Hi Will
some people said " Quite a few PMed me and said I disgrace magic and I am not qualified to be a magician "

That has to be the classic of all time even on here Unreal!! Half of the losers that purport to be magicians and professionals at that, would have given their families heirlooms to be in your position for a second.

You do know this I'm sure. Your magic and the attention it gained was spectacular, please ignore these deluded trolls.

Good Luck
DR
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Kissdadookie, once again, the "your post implies a concern about effects becoming ineffective if laypeople can google them" applies to your comment. And again, I did not say effect, I said props, and I explained that in my post clearly : some props aren't flexible and can't be camouflaged using presentation or skills. It's not like technique and creativity. If people know about DL, I think I can still fool them. The same can't be said for prediction watches; I know I will stop using mine. But I said that already. I will not pursue this pointless conversation.
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, Will Tsai wrote:
Hi folks, old friends and new, it's Will here. Just got a moment to myself after a couple days of crazy press experience. I am super grateful that my act got such attention. I haven't had time to read through the thread. From what I have seen on the thread, some people like it, some people hate it. In both cases I am happy most were entertained either by the act or by the debate. I just want to say thank you for taking your time and allow me to share my moment with you. Quite a few PMed me and said I disgrace magic and I am not qualified to be a magician.. if I am allowed to chime in on the discussion as well, to me magic is magic. And magic is art. It's not what's involved that makes the magic, rather, the message behind the tricks that an artist wants to deliver. All the performance that I intended is in the patter. The visual was designed to assist. Art is an intimate thing for me. All I wanted to do on that stage is to share a part of the life experience from my past. How I saw life as it is when I was about to die in hospital bed a couple years ago. The chase of achievement, the way money comes and goes, and most of the time people, including myself forgot to take a moment, breathe, feel, and smile. Life is a beautiful thing... For those who stated that I am not a qualified magician or a bad magician.. I have never claimed to be good and I don't intend to. However, I was happy, that I could share a part of my life on that stage doing things I created to express just that.. Just want to leave the record here so for those who plan to message me further with how magic should be done, please understand each of us has a different story to tell, and different ways to tell them.

Just my two cents.

Best,
-will

Hi Will,

I would never have thought that one day I would be so deceived. Congratulations,
your performance is excellent. For the first time after so long you made me feel the feeling
that every time the audience sees when they see a magic show. I did not even ask what the secret was,
I love this feeling you gave me.
Thanks and congratulations.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Kissdadookie, once again, the "your post implies a concern about effects becoming ineffective if laypeople can google them" applies to your comment. And again, I did not say effect, I said props, and I explained that in my post clearly : some props aren't flexible and can't be camouflaged using presentation or skills. It's not like technique and creativity. If people know about DL, I think I can still fool them. The same can't be said for prediction watches; I know I will stop using mine. But I said that already. I will not pursue this pointless conversation.

I direct replied and quoted your post. It's not my responsibility to make up excuses for what your own post implies. It also doesn't matter if it applies to effects or props because the end concern is the same. The end concern implied by your OP has only one of two directions to go:

1) Exposure (which DIRECTLY makes an effect no longer effective since it will no longer deceive)
2) You don't want more new magicians coming to be by starting down the magic rabbit hole through buying a trick they found through watching a magic performance on TV.

Again, YOUR post leaves no room for grandiose semantic interpretation that you are trying to demonstrate here (in essence, to try to dig yourself out of your own hole), why are you so butt hurt and quick to attack my post? You can read your post yourself (I mean, you posted it after all). I've already quoted your own words twice. If your post did not express what you actually wanted to express then that is on you which again comes back to why did you attack my post if the fault is with yourself and inability to properly express what you were trying to express and instead expressed something else entirely (which is what you're trying to imply here, but in all honesty this all simply feels and comes off as a quite convoluted way of back pedaling). Can go all day pointing this out over and over, so have at it hoss.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Shots fired, lol Smile

*grabs popcorn*
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Hello Will , "The Perfomance Was Outstanding" I can't wait to see what your going to do next ! Good Luck & God Bless .
Best,
Jeffrey
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Full video is up...

---
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Well said Will!
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
You wanted to portray how money comes and goes? Perhaps you should have brought on some of the creators you've ripped off and have them speak on the subject...
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:

Just my two cents.

Best,
-will

You did what most on here wish they can do. Great job Will. I thought the effect was badd ass. Killed them.
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
Finally got to watch it last night and I thought the magic was brilliant! A truly magical moment for our family. Well done Will!
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Anything on his second appearance?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
Hi folks, old friends and new, it's Will here. Just got...ways to tell them.

Just my two cents.

Best,
-will

Well said...the performance was magical and amazing. I'm always just happy to see magicians on AGT. And in most cases, the ones on AGT are entertaining to watch and good performers. I had to watch Will's performance several times just because it was so astounding. I can imagine the timing involved with this performance was not nearly as easy as it looked. VERY Nicely done!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL