The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
These aren't standard backs, afaik.
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
That would be most interesting to know. Not that many would spot a difference, but I like to have consistent backs with all my cards.
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, m.o.pfeil wrote:
That would be most interesting to know. Not that many would spot a difference, but I like to have consistent backs with all my cards.

I agree. I posed a question about why: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=640894

I assume Penguin must have bought part of the rights to the maiden back design or something, they've been pushing them pretty hard lately. I must say the price on this deck is very attractive, and I'm going to purchase a deck or two because I collect marked decks, but outside of Boris Wild (and maybe now Rick Lax) I don't know of anyone that uses maiden backs. Worse there are very few of the standard gaffs available, so they'll likely continue to remain very niche. Although I think they look closer to standard bikes than mandolins.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Question: does the marking include the card position (like in others) or just the card?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Just cards.

The downloads are amazing and the price makes this a no-brainer.

Yes, Marksman and Code have more information built in which comes at an added price. If you absolutely need those pieces of information, then these are not for you. Keep in mind that the extra information built into other decks make it useful only in stack and the moment things get shuffled, most of that info is useless. Actually, Code and Marksman when shuffled simply become nothing more than standard marked cards (equivalent to these).

So, if you want marked cards at a very reasonable price, then this is awesome. I cannot wait to have the decks in hand.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
Keep in mind that the extra information built into other decks make it useful only in stack and the moment things get shuffled, most of that info is useless.

It's very useful for when you haven't committed the stack to memory yet (like me!) and you want to sort the card quickly later... But I agree, at this price it's really awesome.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
If anyone has bought a brick and would like to sell one deck I'd be interested. I will pay double your cost, I just don't need 2 of them.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Marniac
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Spain
28 Posts

Profile of Marniac
These seem just amazing. Only problem is that just US people will be able to enjoy them. I was about to buy a full brick of 12 decks and saw that Penguin charges 50$ por international shipping. Man, having to pay as much as 12 decks just for the shipping is crazy. And don't give me the "shipping is expensive" cuz many shops got free shippings on orders above 40, 50 bucks, and I just bought another brick of 12 decks from a US shop and only had to pay 7$ shipping. This is one of penguin's biggest issues, it's sad.

If anyone knows another place to buy these from, I'm more than willing to listen al talk!
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, Marniac wrote:
These seem just amazing. Only problem is that just US people will be able to enjoy them. I was about to buy a full brick of 12 decks and saw that Penguin charges 50$ por international shipping. Man, having to pay as much as 12 decks just for the shipping is crazy. And don't give me the "shipping is expensive" cuz many shops got free shippings on orders above 40, 50 bucks, and I just bought another brick of 12 decks from a US shop and only had to pay 7$ shipping. This is one of penguin's biggest issues, it's sad.

If anyone knows another place to buy these from, I'm more than willing to listen al talk!

I just priced shipping a 4 dvd set(the package is the thickness of two dvd's) overseas and the cost was $28 for standard shipping and $47 insured - and this is nowhere near the weight of a brick of cards...so yeah, shipping IS expensive
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yeah, shipping is going to stop non-US customers from getting these, I think.

I wonder if some overseas magic sellers might be able to pick these up in bulk for a reduced shipping cost, and then sell them on customers at only a slightly increased rate?
Marniac
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Spain
28 Posts

Profile of Marniac
I really hope some overseas dealer can get them and sell them for non-us customers. Shipping is expensive, I know that, but if other minor dealers, and I'm not talking about one or two, but many of them, can lower the shipping costs and send me 12 decks for 7$, I'm sure Penguin can too.

Too bad, I was really hoping to add these to my shows, they look just like what I'd use.
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Yeah, I'd like to get a brick of these but that shipping is just too much to justify, given what else I could be getting with that money! Which is a shame - I buy from them regularly when I qualify for the free overseas shipping (such as with packet tricks) as it's often far cheaper than to buy the same effect here. The service is fast too: it's very rare I don't have my order within a week. I just hope they can find some way in this case to either lower costs or distribute these cards to third party sellers...
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I wonder if there is some really slow shipping option they could use. Reduced cost but they make it very clear it could take 8 weeks to arrive... then people outside of the US can weigh up their options.
Marniac
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Spain
28 Posts

Profile of Marniac
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, sjrw wrote:
I wonder if there is some really slow shipping option they could use. Reduced cost but they make it very clear it could take 8 weeks to arrive... then people outside of the US can weigh up their options.

Exactly my point. I'm not critizising the deck, I love it, wish I could have it. I would be willing to wait over a month to get the brick if that assures me that I won't have to pay as much for the shipping as I do for the product.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait, see if any other dealers picks them up. Enjoy them, folks.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

I'd be willing to wait too.
Russ182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Russ182
I have the DMC Elites as I wear glasses has anyone seen a photo of the backs yet .
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, Russ182 wrote:
I have the DMC Elites as I wear glasses has anyone seen a photo of the backs yet .

You can find pictures of the back on the Penguin Magic page Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Anyone interested in selling me a deck?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
WDON
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of WDON
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, Jerskin wrote:
Anyone interested in selling me a deck?

You can buy just one deck. Just change the drop down from 12 to 1.
Marniac
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Spain
28 Posts

Profile of Marniac
Well, cards are out of stock. 2nd printing expected to arrive in august so I guess both US and non-us buyers will have to wait. Such a pity...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL