The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Educating your spectators... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
This is one for folks doing all escapes. How long is your show, and how much of your show is educational as well as entertaining.

Do you spend say 10, 15 or 25% of your showtime educating your spectators on escapology history or the operation and uses of different types of restraints, or do you not educate and lean towards entertainment?

I know Dixie Dooly's show is built around Houdini effects and historical information. Fred escapes's is more comedy and fun.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I like my escapes to try and do a bit of both. I teach the audience what they need to know. For example, I am working on an escape from HSS9 high security handcuffs at present. Once I get round to performing it I will educate the audience just enough so they know what HSS9's are so that once I (hopefully) get out of them they are impressed and entertained by what they have just seen. Without the education, the audience will think they have just witnessed yet another bog standard cuff escape.

But remember, the whole point of doing a show is to entertain.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I realize that this is a fairly boring topic, but the feedback will probably help some folks out there. A lot of things are highly visual and don't require much explanation. I know from blabbing on and on myself that too much information can lose folks quick and take away from the overall entertainment value.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Educating your spectators... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL