The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks you carry--just in case (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What if some group was begging you to do something and you did not bring one of your tricks. Then what?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Cry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ambitious Card, and, I had the "same mother".

Robert Blake and I, "agree"!

We don't CARRY TRICKS! We PERFORM TRICKS. We MAY CARRY A "GENERIC PROP". (A thimble, a coin, etc.)

We PERFORM a TRICK, to CREATE A MAGICAL EFFECT, and ENTERTAIN someone.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just noticed that the OP started a "similar" thread, with the same question, under "MAGIC AT A MOMENTS NOTICE"
AT 11:07 AM ON THE SAME DAY AS THIS ONE, WHICH WAS STARTED AT 9:15, JUNE 8.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
Bracelet through wrist
Tokyo Penetration (predating and similar to the bill through bill part of Clean Thru Clear Thru.)

I also carry a deck of cards in my purse but I never use it except to practice flourishes and such if I'm waiting for something in the car or other setting (alone). It has come in handy in a few hospital waiting situations.

-Mary Mowder

Mary,
I'm glad you included "(alone)" in your post. I do the same thing.
When I attended my first convention, there were 100s of magicians milling about in the lobby. They were socializing, jamming and having a great time. What caught my eye was this guy in his 40s or 50s. He was sitting on the floor "alone" with his back against the wall practicing his card control.
It;s really no big deal but at the time I was thinking, "please don't turn into that guy".
Ihor
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
He may have been trying to "get" something new he'd just learned before it slipped away. There is so much stimulus at a Convention it can take some concentration to remember some complicated bits.

O.K. I've probably been that "guy" . LOL

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nothing wrong with "that guy". He or she has a hobby they love. Most people should be so lucky. I say good for them!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
You're probably right. It just seemed strange to me. This was my first convention. I go to SAM meetings regularly and everyone there is social and outgoing.
This was the first time I saw this .
Ihor
gfdiamond
View Profile
Regular user
sweden
198 Posts

Profile of gfdiamond
Hi,

I remember once, I was on my way to a paid gig. My magic bag with EVERYTHING in it was stolen. Cards, the lot. So I was faced with doing a corporate gig with NOTHING!

Luckily, it was a one hour mingle session. I did watch steals, coin tricks, mind games, physical stuff. It was one of the BEST shows I ever did. Amazing what you can do if you
are forced to improvise.

Smile
Check me out on Google. Geoff Diamond Magician.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! (I should say, "Ja"!

Tarbell didn't tell one how to steal a wrist watch! (Well, in HIS day, REAL MEN didn't wear "ladies bracelet watches"! Real men carried pocket watches!!! hee hee)

BUT, from "Tarbell", I learned PRINCIPLES. I learned that, "It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it"! I learned, too, that "magic" is 5% sleight of hand skills, 5% perceptual illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, AND, 85% PSYCHOLOGY!

--When I realized THAT, I began to also realize, that I had become a magician!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Having learned PRINCIPLES, I could apply them to an almost infinite number of generic props!

When I was doing a lot of hospitality suite work in Chicago, years ago, I carried the "act" in my pockets.

A TT, and a book of matches, two "silks" for knot stuff, a few coins, a rope & 4" ring, and, occasionally 2 safety pins. I got "time" with the G..W. Hunter Impossible Knot"! None of that "stuff" needed reset!

OCCASIONALLY!!! I even carried a deck of cards! (I usually just did a quick routine with the various fancy shuffles.) --When everyone had a cigarette, a cocktail or an hor d'oeuvre, in their hands, it was somewhat awkward to ask them to "pick a card"! (I bet you didn't think that I could even spell "hor d'oeuvre"!)
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I always have "Cool Cash" in my wallet.

I also carry a "Quantum Bender 3" with me as well.

I'll occasionally carry a few rubber bands for "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" etc.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Business cards, are always with me, so sometimes use them for a mentalism piece or an ambitious card routine. Always have my JOL EZ wallet there too, so the business card will end up there! Finally, I always carry my R2R effect (two borrowed rings change places) in my pocket. Plus of course, my iPhone has WikiTest on it!!!
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Owen
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Owen
Wikitest is sick and its on your phone which requires nothing more to carry!
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I always have a Zig-Zag illusion in the back of my truck...one should never limit their magic to just close-up effects when performing for random spectators.
NightSG
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of NightSG
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Doc Willie wrote:
I am not talking about the stuff one carries much of the time, just in case magic is needed. I am talking about specific tricks for a specific situation that MIGHT come up. Anniversary Waltz might be one, in case of encountering newlyweds, the recently engaged, or the otherwise amorous pair.

Since I'm nearly always carrying cards, two gaffes to be ready for AW, with one of them being useful for all sorts of other stuff, and the other not exactly useless, (you can use a DF in a modified Triumph that ends with the selection face down in a face up deck, for example) is just sort of a given. I split my own, so I tend to have at least the DB with most decks anyway, and I'm just adding a DF for AW.
Houdonni
View Profile
New user
Vancouver BC Canada
58 Posts

Profile of Houdonni
I generally always carry Ignition, a dime and a penny for a Strike change effect, maybe if I know I'll be somewhere with a group of people, Extreme Burn, Two dollar window, a few elastics and 5 Twoonie coins and a Loonie for some coin tricks.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I always have my JOL wallet with me so all I need to do is borrow a coin etc and I have a miracle Smile
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
With me at all times are Triad Coins and extreme burn. As well as business cards for some mentalism routines.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
In my answer, I am double minded. Yes, you can do good effects impromptu, but you can more easily do miracles with a little preparation. So I choose to carry things which are not suspicious but involve prep, so that the miracles can flow. Yes, I can do improv. tricks, but I think that for the most part, miracles take a little more time, in preparation. Not that it is impossible to do an impromptu miracle, but my 30 years of experience in magic teach me that miracles involve, for me, a little bit of preparation. Coins are good, especially with a deceptive gimmick. Bills fly below the radar, .... even prepared ones...... and thumb t's, if adapted and used in radical ways, can make almost anything..... miraculous.But cheers to you if you can do impromptu miracles. I can too, but more often choose to prepare .... SECRETLY ... FOR brain blowing miracles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks you carry--just in case (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL