We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Needing slate idea.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I've been doing a spirit slates routine for quite some time, but I'm wanting to change it. I'll tell you what I have and anyone with any ideas, please help.

I'm performing as Civil War-era magician, Professor Richard Barclay from Scotland. I have an old tintype of a young girl (approximately 20), a small candlestick, a very large skeleton key and, of course, the slates. The girl's name is Sarah Lindsey. The story that I was thinking of going with was that her fiance was murdered while attempting to enter his home, hence the key was the last thing that he'd touched. I would attempt to contact her, just to see if it could be done since she had failed in the attempt to contact the fiance using the very slates that I held in my hand.

PS, I'm doing this as a parlor/small stage effect.

This is where I'm stuck...anyone?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6508 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
What immediatley comes to mind is having something happen to the flame of the candle as you hold onto the key and it slowly starts to turn. The spectator opens the slates and there is a heart drawn on it with the the couple's initials running through it.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The Key turns, and the slates are opened revealing the message: "Honey, I'm Home!"

Somebody shoot me now.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Curtis, that's too funny...not necessarily "period", but funny.

Most of my act is more funny, but I'm really wanting this to have a more serious tone.

I like the idea of doing the turning key. The key that I'm using is pretty large and would be able to be seen from the stage. I made one of the candles that goes out "by itself", but haven't used it much. That may be the answer. I like the idea of the heart with the initials, but what message would be on the other slate?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6508 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Maybe the name of his killer?
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Rickmagic1 said: "I have an old tintype of a young girl (approximately 20)"

Young girl - 20 years old...you are showing your age now!

:)

Black Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Well, I'm 38...like the revolver...

Great idea, Greg. The problem is that I'm wanting to make it sweet, but creepy.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Rick,

I have to admit that the combination of the two effects does have an odd appeal. In fact, the following occurred to me after my initial silliness:

Have you considered the following configuration? The spectator holds the slates, either between two hands, or perhaps resting flatly on the palm on one. You place the key on the slates. Now, I suspect that the additional weight of the slates will have the effect of amplifying the ideomotor response, and will cause the key to turn, more or less on cue. Certainly, the slates a) make it appear that the spectator has little, if anything, to do with the movement, and b) serve to dull the spectator's perception of her own small movements.

While I have heard of people who perform the haunted key on a spectator's hand, I have never seen this idea of a intervening surface before. Anyone familiar with a source?

"Sweet, but creepy"? Suppose it turns out she's the one who shot him?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
...and she'd been trying to contact him to repent because the guilt was overwhelming...

The slates would show her confession that SHE was the one who killed him. If that is the case, would he be the one turning the key, or her?

Maybe he is turning the key to signal that he is there, and the message isn't from her, it's from HIM. He states "she did it", with his initials after...I love your thinking, Curtis. Thanks!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes, the slates say "It was" and "Her", and then the picture bursts into flames.

...uh, how many of these tintypes do you have?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's an interesting concept, but it won't work. The key will not turn over on the slates, unless you have the handle of the key hanging over the edge.

Nice try. No cigar.

Have a cup of coffee and donut and go back to thinking about it some more.

:hotcoffee:
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Couldn't the key move across the slate if you
had a strong enough PK Magnet under it?

a metal key over a slate board could be pretty
unnerving.

And a printer (kinkos) can print up old photos you
just burn nightly.

takes two donuts and a cup of coffee...

might think some more about that

JudgeBean
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Well, I was going to get this worked out first, but I'll tell you what I ended up doing.
I have a good friend who is an electronics expert and he helped me build a new table for my show.
Instead of the picture burning, I have a letter that is the "confession letter" of the girl "confessing" to being the killer. I show the letter and comment that it was obtained after her execution by hanging.
It later came out that the judge who sentenced her had coerced her into signing the letter because she wouldn't agree to marry his son. It was rumored that the judge's son was the one who killed the fiance because he was in love with Sarah himself.

The letter is laid upon the table and the slates are shown. I don't have everything complete yet, but this is how it's going to be done. The slates are laid upon the table. The key falls from the table, after about an 8 second delay, the confession letter will go up in flames. When the slates are separated, they state "IT WAS WILLIAM!" (the name of the judge's son) with the fiance's initials at the end.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Well I Like the hanging Judge Angle......he he he he

"Judge" Bean
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Boy, I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks, Bill, but I kinda figured on the head of the key being off the side of the slates. I've actually taught this to people, and I've seen students sitting there, with the key fully on their palm, wondering why the thing won't move. It's funny, but you can even show them the key moving, and then they'll put the key right back where they had it.

Here's another probably bad idea (something about this thread, I guess): On the slates is the drawing for the children's game "hangman" At the end, the blanks are filled in with "William" and a drawing of the hanged man.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2004-04-16 00:38, Curtis Kam wrote:

Here's another probably bad idea (something about this thread, I guess): On the slates is the drawing for the children's game "hangman" At the end, the blanks are filled in with "William" and a drawing of the hanged man.

OOO! That is a wonderful idea! Let me explore that! Just think, the audience would see me drawing the "hangman" noose and place the lines on the slate, then when it's parted, the slate would show the name and the body...ingenious!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I like the hangman idea.

One thing to think about with all of this stuff -- sprit manifestations are subtle. When you have keys moving about across a table, it can be a bit much.

Not trying to be overly critical, just trying for some realism.

Strange thought -- realism and magic!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
How dare you, Bill...then someone will think that I'm actually doing what I SAY that I am...wait a minute..

Really, though, thanks. I'm just throwing up ideas now, will grab the ones that work, throw out the ones that don't.

I just want to thank everyone (Bill, Curtis, JudgeBean, etc) that has helped me with this idea.

Rik
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
BILL!
lol how subtle is tamborines and horns blowing in the fox sister spirit act?

But I know what you meant bill.....a small movement is bigger then flying across the room. a barely written message is see more "realistic" than chalked letter from beyond.

JudgeBean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Needing slate idea.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL