The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » David Parr on P&T: Fool Us (88 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Very well constructed and classy act. Bravo, well done good sir! You are a force to be reckoned with.
The "18"
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
The Dark Woods of New England
793 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Oh man that was SO *** GOOD, David! Well done sir! Congratulations!
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Congratulations Sir! A much deserved trophy, well done!!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks all y'all! I have been having fun reading YouTube comments with theories about the method. My favorites include the person who said it was done with magnets as if that was obvious, and the comment in which someone pointed out the visible (but nonexistent) deck switch at a particular time signature. Funnee humans.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
David, would you share more about being on the show?
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
I would like to hear more as well. Like do you actually get to keep the trophy? (And what do you mean there isn't a magnet?! Hmmm...what else could the bell be for?). 😁
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
RCP, is there anything specific you want to know about the show or the experience of being on it?

S_M_I, the trophy that descended from the flies was a prop. It was whisked from my hands the moment I stepped offstage. It was quickly wrapped in a towel and then returned to its perch above the stage. I'll get the real trophy when I go back to Vegas to do a spot in P&T's live show.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, David Parr wrote:
My favorites include the person who said it was done with magnets as if that was obvious

You should've replied to them, "but how do magnets work?"
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

You should've replied to them, "but how do magnets work?"

Dude, did you just make an Insane Clown Posse joke?

Cuz if so, kudos, my friend.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, David Parr wrote:
RCP, is there anything specific you want to know about the show or the experience of being on it?

S_M_I, the trophy that descended from the flies was a prop. It was whisked from my hands the moment I stepped offstage. It was quickly wrapped in a towel and then returned to its perch above the stage. I'll get the real trophy when I go back to Vegas to do a spot in P&T's live show.

Did you meet with P & T before hand and discuss your act? I had a friend on AGT and he said it was pretty scripted. Was there more than one take or any editing. Your performance was great but I was a little surprised that they missed the method. Looking back on some past card routines they seem less knowledgeable about cards. Were they sociable after the show or go their separate ways?

Thanks
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
RCP, no interactions on Fool Us were scripted. I didn't rehearse with P&T or Aly Hannigan. In fact, the producers keep everything secret from P&T so they don't know who is booked for the show until that act is announced in front of the cameras and live audience. They want it to be a genuine surprise. There were eight acts recording on the day of the shoot. It was a six-hour day and there was no time for retakes. I had one shot at it. Yes, they edited down my performance a bit, taking out tiny snippets here and there, to make it run faster. However, they in no way altered the effect or hid the method. What the home viewer sees is exactly what the live audience saw, just minus a few words. The post-performance interview is heavily edited down. I was told by the producers that P&T confer for about three to five minutes while they try to come up with a hypothesis. In my case, they conferred for double that — which is why I was so surprised when they didn't even have a theory or a guess. I was the second to last act recorded that day. Penn was super sick during recording and was losing his voice. We spoke very briefly after my performance, as he passed me in the hallway on his way to his dressing room. Teller and I spoke for a bit, but he was clearly very tired and almost at the end of his energy reserves. They were both very complimentary about my act. Penn said "I saw nothing," still baffled that he hadn't spotted a clue to the method. Teller said "That was a beautiful piece of magic. The bell, the game of it, everything."
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Thanks David, it was a beautiful piece of magic. Playful, simplistic and entertaining. I know Penn isn't much of a card guy but I am surprised Teller didn't offer an idea. Marlow would be proud that the Chicago legacy of GREAT magicians remain.

All the best for your continued success.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
David, that was awesome! You played that so incredibly well! Congrats!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I, think it was done with mirrors ... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, Godzilla wrote:
I, think it was done with mirrors ... Smile

magnetic mirrors
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, RCP wrote:

magnetic mirrors

Invisible mirrors ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear Mr. Parr,
Congratulations on your amazing of Penn and Teller on Fool Us, and of course me too!
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, RCP wrote:

magnetic mirrors

Invisible mirrors ! Smile

invisible magnetic scrying mirrors
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Fantastic routine! And thank you for the behind the scenes stuff. Always fascinating.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
It's official: I'll be returning to the stage at the Penn & Teller theater in Las Vegas on Tuesday, September 26, to reprise my winning piece from Fool Us — and I'll pick up that trophy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » David Parr on P&T: Fool Us (88 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL