The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Pen by Joao Miranda and Gustavo Sereno (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, Tarik Flash wrote:
Is anyone finding if doing the voodoo type routine it's hard for a spectator to really think they are stabbing dots as most of the time the pen naturally does slip a little as the stabbing motion takes place so the dots then seem almost too perfect so perhaps 3 almost just say 5mm marks may look more realistic as if you try this yourself with a real Sharpie and holding the card face down with your other hand you will see the sort of realistic marks you actually get . As I am not on Facebook could anyone please send me the link of Dave Loosleys voodoo routine as I have heard its rather good . Best magic to all Tarik 😊

With all routines that use this pen where the spectator is supposed to have marked something, I always mark the thing for real beforehand first in the exact same way they will later.
That may not work for Voodoo, where I'm guessing the marks need to be specifically placed, but it makes the marks more believable because the marks will look more real and the markings will be more randomly placed on the card/book/whatever.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks MM83 I agree with you Tarik 😊
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
Quote:
Is anyone finding if doing the voodoo type routine it's hard for a spectator to really think they are stabbing dots as most of the time the pen naturally does slip a little as the stabbing motion takes place so the dots then seem almost too perfect so perhaps 3 almost just say 5mm marks may look more realistic as if you try this yourself with a real Sharpie and holding the card face down with your other hand you will see the sort of realistic marks you actually get . As I am not on Facebook could anyone please send me the link of Dave Loosleys voodoo routine as I have heard its rather good . Best magic to all Tarik 😊

Here is the Vlog that contains Loosley's Voodoo Routine
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, rkp wrote:
Quote:

Here is the Vlog that contains Loosley's Voodoo Routine

Sorry, here is the link !! https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Alaka......017.html
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thank you rkp regards Tarik 😊
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I used to do the routine years ago with a dried out one. This looks like a great gimmick though. However, just deciding even with the neat toy, how it would be better then the pencil one mentioned or the old method... Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, Decomposed wrote:
I used to do the routine years ago with a dried out one. This looks like a great gimmick though. However, just deciding even with the neat toy, how it would be better then the pencil one mentioned or the old method... Smile

Self contained. No switching. Nothing extra to carry. Perfect for close up, when there's lots of preying eyes upon you.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, Decomposed wrote:

Self contained. No switching. Nothing extra to carry. Perfect for close up, when there's lots of preying eyes upon you.

100% agree with you pegasus on this , points well made Tarik 😊
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks guys!
mystepho
View Profile
New user
Stockholm
9 Posts

Profile of mystepho
So, my friend Andreas of MetalWriting fame made this exact gimmick 2013. In 2014 it was shown to Miranda at Mind Summit. I hate to see this happen to anyone but ofcourse to my friends who work hard to be able to do theese things. Raise awareness and buy the original. It's the same pen only better quality! http://www.metalwriting.com/post-it-pad-and-sharpie.html

Note that this was meant to be a thing to use with the MetalWriting but it's exactly the same stuff.

Support creativity and original creators and stop the theft of magic that happens more and more!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I can't see mental pen being used as an engraving tool and I wouldn't want it to be . The nib in your link doesn't look very realistic to me either regards Tarik 😊
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
It is not as if the Mental Pen was used as an engraving tool. Just that the method and design is the same as Andreas. That is not a question of opinion but a fact.

Best,

Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Exactly two completely different effects Tarik 😊
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Nope, it is -also- used for the same type of effects as the Mental Pen.

/Ark
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Even if it was 'completely different effects' but the same item [design/invention]

Then that would not make it 'ok' to steal the design and claim it as your own

I'm not saying it is the same [as I don't know]

I just disagree that you can take someone else’s invention - and apply it to something different and not [at least] acknowledge the original creator - something like, 'I based this on x, who used it to do y... well I worked out how it could achieve z - and have improved on it, and added extra tips'

So I think Tarik saying that they are two completely different effects - does not give this a clean pass

I suspect that this item is actually very different in design anyway - as I said I don't know anything about the Andreas item

But I think the Mental Pen is excellent, and as far as I can tell Andreas hasn’t brought up any issues – so I would have to think there is no issue… but what do I know
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
As I said, it is a fact. Read the entire ad-copy here: https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=59725

This was added to the text when the issue was lifted.
Cbring
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
241 Posts

Profile of Cbring
When I first saw the Wizard product review, where David Penn point out the similarities, I was very sad, not angry. What bothers me is that I invented the extra tip in 2013 and I am very proud of it. In 2016 I released the product The Seer's gift. In this set there is a routine called Traveling in mind, in which I use my extra tip to force information. This tip was first invented to execute MetalWriting, but after I have worked with it I also realized that I could force with it. So in either way I was first. I invented the tip and I published a forcing routine 1,5 year before Mental Pen was released.

I don't care about sales, I just want people to know. I will release several new effects and I will use my forcing tool and continue to sell my forcing tool. I hope that this will prevent someone to question my right to use my own invention. I am a creator that every day got new ideas. I have hundreds of ideas that I want to create. I also know that if I would make a big deal out of this I would be frustrated and lose my creativity. I think it is better for me to focus on tomorrows new ideas, instead of arguing about old ones.

Even so I am proud of my idea and the original has a few advantages:

1. The tip can be added and detached with the cap, during the performance.
2. You can write, add the gimmick and force, detach the gimmick and write.
3. The Sharpie will not dry out.
4. The tip is precision lathered out of brass - will last forever
5. No special cap needed
6. No tool to detach the gimmick
7. The Post-it pad is another tool that also conceal the gimmick and can be used in an awesome impromptu force.

And to spice this up, I have a few quotes that I think are nice.

"The professionals will help get the word out that YOU are the creator of this fine tool for mentalism"
Jeff McBride

"Andreas has developed a special tip that slid over the real tip of the pen so that it would not write
and could be used to force a selection that already had a circle around it"
Richard Osterlind

"I personally know that Andreas Sebring showed his extra marking pen tip to many of us in 2013 and 2014.
He has perfected these tips over several years now. It is clear that this type and style
of an extra tip writer is his."
Kenton Knepper

"Your is in fact better, because you can add the tip"
Luca Volpe

"Everyone knows it is yours"
Peter Turner

"When I saw the pen I thought - Wait that is Andreas!!!
I can easily validate it because you sent me one."
Paul Romhany

And the comment that it doesn't look like a tip... I have performed this thousands of times. For laypeople and for magicians. Never have anyone spotted the tip. The reaction when I show the tip at conventions is always WOW, that was cool. Now lately at the PEA convention in Florida. I hold a lecture and this tool got the same reactions as always.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Kudos to you Ark but the adding of tips and non writing pens has been around years . Your points raised about what mental pen can't do is very inaccurate as virtsully all of those can be done with mental pen . Special lid I don't think so I have already lost mine and just pieced a hole through a regular Sharpie lid so hardly special and the the pop rivet supplied is hardly ground breaking and anything could be supplied . The ink doesn't dry up either when capoed so these are all false assumptions . Anyway sort out your issues not on this thread about this product , your items are of unique dark art genre of magic and should be discussed either privately with the mental pen guys not bog down this thread . It really isn't a new idea and nor is yours it's just a practical non switch version as is xoteric forces which I have owned over 20 years . Also there are numerous non sharpies that when pressed twice release a second cartridge that doesn't write etc so it really is an old age concept . Mental pen in itself is a sensational piece of kit in my opinion as yours maybe . The tip just didn't look great laying on the post it note on the link I saw of yours . Don't join a party late just because the sales are doing so well that's what I always find happens on here . Anyway the best of luck Tarik 😊
Cbring
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
241 Posts

Profile of Cbring
Oh, I am so sorry for bringing this up to attention. It was really a stupid post and I didn't realize that I might hurt someones feelings. It was utterly selfish of me. I have no intention to sell my pen as a forcing tool alone, I just wanted people to know - how stupid am I. It is clear that people prefer not knowing, I honestly didn't understand that. Wish you good luck with your pen and the sales.
Peace
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It's not my pen and I don't even know the creator so you don't have to apologise to me . I just get a bit tired of people hijacking threads and I just wish they would start one of their own about their version of pen and that's the right way imo of doing things . I find they often start the hijacking when a product does exceptionally well ( never before strange that ) . Your mileage obviously varies as it is entitled to , all the best Tarik 😊
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Pen by Joao Miranda and Gustavo Sereno (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL