The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leap - review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I just got mine in today and have been playing with it for the last 20 to 30 minutes.

** I am sorry if there are a lot of words are grammatical errors here I'm gonna go back and skin this quickly but I did write this review using Siri .

Just reading the first two lines of the introduction will let you know what kind of English you are in for. With the spelling, grammatical, in words out of place being a little upsetting to read. So starting with that there really should've been a little better editing.

So the instructions start with the ups and downs of Leap. Do not let the can use any coin fool you. Well actually you can use any coin as long as it is not larger than 1 inch in diameter. So that means an American quarter would be the largest coin you could use for this. The ups are the fact that everything is easy to bring along in does look normal. Which everything is small and natural and yes everything can be easy to bring along with you if you are table hopping or just doing some close up.

He claims that the downs is the fact that you will need the skill to switch out something. But most magicians will not find this as a problem whatsoever. . Although to even give you a better idea and I quote right from the instructions " well I'm sure you know better than me what you have to do with Leap " so you're on your own there folks .

Now on the instructions he gets in to that special something you get. And you think you're going to continue talking about that yet the instructions kind of jump around a little bit here. He first mentioned about that little something you will need and then that there (in the future) possibly be some maintenance should your special something start to wear. Now on the instructions he gets onto that special something you get. He then goes into reconstructing that special something what you need for the next page and a half which he does a very good job of it as there are many of pictures to help and guide you along the way.

Now we get into the set up so you can perform your trick which again is very well illustrated with pictures.

Now we come into a routine suggestion. So for the most part you're on your own here but his routine is a signed coin into the glass. So of course I'm sure I'm not really giving anything away there's a sign coin you need to switch. The signed coin he says by using your most convenient technique. And here is where a reference, and no reference comes in. And I quote from the instructions again . "Note: I find a technique to switch a sign coin using Alex Pandrea interesting. I need more reference on this."
So I'm glad most of us have our own best way to switch a coin because he gives you none. For what you have to do to make this work using the signed coin I hope you either have a time stopping device for your audience or better yet definitely have an assistant to do what needs to be done. Because I can't see that the steps needed to do this that can be done " secretly" .

Now again I've been playing with this for 20 to 30 minutes and I have yet to get the coin inside the shot glass. I don't want to give much of this away but for what I have to do to get the coin into the shot glass, seems... I don't want to say unnatural but the audience in my mind would certainly suspect why I'm doing something, so violently .

I must say the packaging is quite nice and he does give you two card cases one in red and one in blue for those of us who have a preference.

Another claim is that if you put the gimmick in your pocket or somewhere it could possibly be triggered. I'm having enough trouble triggering it myself in a performance so I can't see how keeping this thing somewhere would give you a problem being falsely triggered.

I am going to continue to play with us although I am hoping that this particular company I bought it from is offering a 100% moneyback guarantee he so let's keep that in mind with this review folks .

I think it is clever. Which is the only reason on a five star rating I am going to give it two out of five stars . Otherwise a lot of this is up to you to get this to work.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
It's more a feedback than a review (speaking about it 30 minutes after receiving it is not considered as a review ^^) but thanks a lot ! It makes me mote eager to get mine !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Ok.. I'll cliff note my version.

i will be sending mine back. Maybe I got a bad one. But to this hour still cannot get it to properly work.
I feel you will be disappointed as well.

Not sure how you consider that not a review.

1. Instructions are bad
2. Instructions jump around on subject
3. No credits are given.
4. Tells you about a method he wish he knew better to be used.
5. Item simply does not work as stated
6. You have to do something out of the ordinary to get it to work.

I do not need more than 30 minutes to find all the faults and let folks know about them. There is only a brief (and I will add vague) few sentences on how to load it. I did mine with the hopes I wasn't about to break it as I was trying to figure it out.

On the better side.... Illustrations are good.

I wish you good luck with yours.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Robert Houdin 78
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Robert Houdin 78
Thanks for review! Very useful!

R.
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
67 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
Both of the reviews above are accurate. The gimmick is pretty good. I was hoping to use it for trade show work where the lighting is bright and eyes are close. This will hold up to those conditions. I struggled to get the coin in the glass as well. Fortunately I have a wide range of other glasses to experiment with and it is that second glass (the larger one) that is more crucial.

The one that I have had a 90% success rate with is a glass mixing tumbler (used to mix cocktails at a bar). I even tried a different shot glass-- one that is larger and I use in other routines such as Bill Abbott's Shot and Stabbed, and it worked great too once I combined it with the mixing glass. If it helps, I attached a picture.
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
67 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
Here is the picture--

Click here to view attached image.
Grafeno
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Grafeno
Well, I got mine. Played with it and like it very much. I have to say I have seen Pablo Costas use it in a very nice parlour routine where he first uses a magic box to make the (switched) ring/coin dissapear -after creating a very nice forgetting parenthesis in hhe routine-, and then (since the public is "seeing" the ring/coin while held by a volunteer at a distance, can calmly and secretly do what needs to be done to load it in the something. A very nice and magical moment when the ring/coin disappears at the other side of the stage, and the item appears under impossible conditions trough glass. First time I saw it I was impressed with the routine.

I have to say you need a strong misdirection to be able to load the gimmick. Not something that can be done easily inside a pocket without risking damage. And the seller provides no suggestions in the instructions. The original reviewer does a great job of describing the incredibly chaotic instructions. Very good pictures, but you miss the key "this is how its loaded and this is how its triggered" in pictures. The mention of a coin switch routine in the product instructions that its most appropriate for the switch but is not described there because he has not researched it is unbelievable. You are definitely on your own! But not a problem for most performers.

The gimmick is well constructed. There is a particular part of the gimmick that is very fragile, yet there is no mention about its fragility in the instructions. But then this piece its widely available whenever you buy a deck of bicycles, so not a biggie.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have this and have used it successfully. There's a few things I'VE discovered to make it work better. First thing, carry it in a card guard inside your pocket. This will keep it from going off. Part of the gimmick is very fragile. The guard will keep it from getting damaged. Have your initials marked on both sides of the quarter. Have the quarter loaded ahead of time. When you have the spec initial it, you initial the reverse side. Their coin is not the one that flips in the shot glass, that's ok. If they happen to read the initials through the glass, they see your initials. When you dump the coin out in your hand, you switch it then. Also,you have to experiment with the shot glass until you find the sweet spot where it goes in. You then make a note of where the glass needs to be on the pattern of the box. I use a shot glass with a little bigger mouth, but the same size bottom. It's tapered. Use a big plastic tumbler. If the glass is thin, the coin can shatter it. This effect definitely works well, but you have to adapt your performance to make it work. The instructions are useless.
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Is this possible to open the deck and show cards inside, like the extractor for example? Or do you need to do a switch if the heat is on the deck ?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
You can't open the card case. But don't worry about that. I've never experienced any heat on the case at all, all the attention goed to the glasses.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Leap - review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL