The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cartoon Capers by Gary Jones (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
tomdeg
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Copy:

This exceeded our expectations of what a card trick is capable of.

It's seriously like having an "Acme Portable Hole" from road runner cartoons... you take a hole from one card and move it to another card.

But here's the mind-blowing part: The card you transfer the hole to, was a SIGNED chosen card.. and not just signed a little... it was signed all over, up and down. The hole even removes part of their signature. It's insane.

Gary has created something wonderful. It comes with the props you need, and Gary teaches you how to make more (it is super easy).

Every time you perform this, you create an unforgettable IMPOSSIBLE souvenir.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8562
Rob_magician
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Rob_magician
Looks nice!
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Wonder how different this is from Michael Close's Pothole Trick.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Chris Meece wrote:
Wonder how different this is from Michael Close's Pothole Trick.

I took a punt with this as I quite like the 'hole' plot and it was from Gary Jones.
This is a much shorter (and more direct) effect than Mr Close's trick. Also, the hole moves from one card to another, rather than from one position to another. This is in my opinion, easier to prepare and perform.

It combines elements of a previous GJ release, a James Prince effect and a few other bits. Gary provides a range of credits for his inspiration and to allow the curious viewer to conduct further research.

The teaching is good, the handling straight forward and if you like what you see on the trailer, you probably won't be disappointed.

The only downside if you can call it that, is that it would be hard to use as a final phase to a bigger routine.
Positives include that gimmicks are easy and virtually free to prepare once you have the necessary, reset is instant and its a very different card trick.

Charlie
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Wow....many moons ago I had an idea of drawing a black hole onto a playing card that black hole became a real one and then transferred itself onto a card chosen and signed by spectator.I had the idea of printing onto a sticky white label the back of a blue bycle card.
I'd use a round paper punch to cut out this gimmick that would hide a real hole in the back of the card.Then to draw on this area. I could pull of when needed.It would be switched to an unharmed card and I'd use a modified palm punch to punch a real hole in spectators card.Bit of misdirection required.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
The idea is sound but the presentation is pretty bland.
Official Thread Killer
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Well, everytime Mr Jones releases an effect I HAVE TO BUY IT AS IT IS ALWAYS WORKABLE & VERY GOOD>

you are making me spend money again Gary ha.

Mike Donoghue
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Shows nothing on the demo.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Stucky wrote:
The idea is sound but the presentation is pretty bland.

I agree with Stucky. A better trick is Tag by Mark Mason.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you for the kind words....and opinions LOL! Cardtoon Cap is completely different from the brilliant Michael Close effect, and a totally different effect entirely from Tag Smile

Sorry Mike about you spending more money, but I can see you doing this sir...

When I leave a group/table I love to leave them with impossible objects, things like a bent coin, Torn 2 Pieces, Trace and Cartoon Capers, people WILL remember you....And when rebooked they often still carry these objects with them and show you...So, they most probably show their friends and family these impossible objects, and this really does seal their memory of your performance.

I also wanted this to be very easily prepared, I like to make up a dozen or so before a gig, this takes a matter of minutes and it really is simple to do.

Someone mentioned that they couldn't quite tell what the effect is from the trailer? You have a card selected, they sign the card, you mention that you will recreate the famous acme portable hole from Road Runner (or any other cartoon, something that wasn't shown in the trailer but will be seen on the full performances lol). You remove a blank card from your pocket which has a large hole in it, with just a blow the hole jumps off the blank card and onto the signed selection...even part of their signature is missing...And they keep the card as a souvenir (after you have put one of your stickers if you so wish). There you have it, a really easy to do miracle Smile

Thank you,

Gary Jones
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
kieronthemighty
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of kieronthemighty
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, gjmagic wrote:
Thank you for the kind words....and opinions LOL! Cardtoon Cap is completely different from the brilliant Michael Close effect, and a totally different effect entirely from Tag Smile

Sorry Mike about you spending more money, but I can see you doing this sir...

When I leave a group/table I love to leave them with impossible objects, things like a bent coin, Torn 2 Pieces, Trace and Cartoon Capers, people WILL remember you....And when rebooked they often still carry these objects with them and show you...So, they most probably show their friends and family these impossible objects, and this really does seal their memory of your performance.

I also wanted this to be very easily prepared, I like to make up a dozen or so before a gig, this takes a matter of minutes and it really is simple to do.

Someone mentioned that they couldn't quite tell what the effect is from the trailer? You have a card selected, they sign the card, you mention that you will recreate the famous acme portable hole from Road Runner (or any other cartoon, something that wasn't shown in the trailer but will be seen on the full performances lol). You remove a blank card from your pocket which has a large hole in it, with just a blow the hole jumps off the blank card and onto the signed selection...even part of their signature is missing...And they keep the card as a souvenir (after you have put one of your stickers if you so wish). There you have it, a really easy to do miracle Smile

Thank you,

Gary Jones

Thanks Gary looks great ordered

K
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
For a working pro impossible object souvenirs are great for many reasons. It has been stated many times but it is probably worth repeating.

1. They often keep it forever (or a very long time) and you can usually have your contact info on it or put a sticker onto it which has your contact info.

2. Creates a perfect situation for you to snap a quick photo of them (or the both of you, or the entire group, etc.) holding the object and post that on your FB page and/or website.

3. Immediately offer to send them the photo, which allows you to get their email address. You casually mention they can post it to their FB page.

4. Many times others will take a photo as well and post it to FB. So in a matter of minutes the object, the magician, and a brief description of what happened could be seen by potentially hundreds of people.

5. If someone did give you their email address you can follow up with a nice thank you and possibly let them know you are available for gigs, and also get your website in front of them again only this time with a clickable link which increases their chances of visiting it. If you mention that you posted their photo on your website most people will want to check it out.

I purchased Gary's effect and it makes a great impossible souvenir because it's a good trick with an unusual and fun premise, as well as being very easy and CHEAP to make.
And I'm only a hobbyist so most of the things mentioned above don't apply to me. But I thought they may helpful to many others.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
I don't have the effect, but I think I've reversed engineered it.
I've played with my solution and it works. My family loved it.

So now I need to buy it, because credit where credit is due - Gary has come up with a great premise, that gives the participant an impossible object souvenir and is easy to do. Which I would never have developed on my own.

It gets reactions, whether you feel the performance is bland is a matter of opinion. Personally I think if you saw GJ perform this around Devon he may have been a little more relaxed. But more importantly, you are you. Make it what you can, but I can see greatness in this.

I don't think it is limited to cards, I'm going to try and gimmick some beer matts from my local.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Well, have yet to reverse engineer it like Harry, but have ordered it Smile May present it in a set with 'Expansion'....
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi Harry, you can use many other items as long as they have a 'busy' background...like court cards and higher value spot cards. Most beer mats would work great, perfect for residencies!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Still awaiting my package (which I assume contains the two necessary cards) from Penguin, but was able to view the online instructions - which are really well presented. This is VERY clever, and does not require extensive arts and crafts (although I will have to purchase a hole punch). In short, I really like it, and will no doubt use it. Thanks, Gary!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
While I was making the materials for Lloyd Barnes Acme Hole, I noticed a certain property to cards with holes punched in them. I'm pretty certain I know how this is done but I will definitely purchase this if I plan on doing it. Nice idea!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
And thanks to your providing the necessary materials, Kaliix, I was able to construct Acme Hole....BUT, unless I'm missing something (and it would not be the first time!) the methods employed in the two effects share nothing in common, except that they both deal with holes.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
For those here in the UK below is where I got my hole punch from. The link shows three sizes, the size used on the download is the middle size - Xcut Circle Palm Punch 3.50p, I have also used the smaller size in the past. If you have a Range near you they are located in the Hobby dept.

https://www.therange.co.uk/search?q=palm%20punch#page_1

Hope this helps.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, gjmagic wrote:
For those here in the UK below is where I got my hole punch from. The link shows three sizes, the size used on the download is the middle size - Xcut Circle Palm Punch 3.50p, I have also used the smaller size in the past. If you have a Range near you they are located in the Hobby dept.

https://www.therange.co.uk/search?q=palm%20punch#page_1

Hope this helps.

Gary Jones.

Thanks for the link.
Ordered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cartoon Capers by Gary Jones (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL