The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Details of Deception - By Greg Chapman (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
I've just posted over in the Latest and Greatest section.

Details of Deception is available June 24th

Feel free to join in that conversation. Any questions I'm happy to answer if I can.

Best,
Greg
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
I've had a few emails over the past few days so I thought I'd answer a commonly asked question here for anyone interested.

There are 8 routines in the MEMDECK chapter...

ACAAN
My own handling for the classic plot. No sleights. Any Card. You don't need to know the spectator's number when you hand the spectator the deck to deal. *I hope he won't mind me sharing a comment from our correspondence but Jan Forster described this routine as "simply brilliant!"

MD Poker
A two phase routine with a poker theme and a mental flavor. Read tells or read minds, your choice. Play your hand blind, twice, correctly reading your opponents cards each time.

OCM v2
After pocketing a card unseen, the spectator helps mix the cards, and you can immediately name their card.

That Old Trick
An impossible card location, and the perfect application for a classic technique that many shy away from. Well, no longer! Learn how to use the technique with confidence.

The Stranger
Another completely impossible mind-reading miracle, where the spectator selects and loses a card in the deck while you look away, but you'll know their card regardless. A principle you'll add to your work.

Fine Print
Under the cleanest conditions, you can instantly name a selected card. A fun presentation and a classic method.

Sneaky Three
A show stopping multi-phase routine. A closer for the mental performer who uses playing cards.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1756 Posts

Profile of Daren
Order placed greg for both books
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Excited to finally have this one on the way!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks
Good to get this material out there, and I hope you find it useful.
Good to know your favorites, so let us know what you think.
Best,
Greg
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Researching Details of Deception I filmed a ton of techniques, handlings and explanations for use in my correspondence with some of the kind folks helping my with technical editing and feedback. Three or four days ago I sent out a few select clips to folks on my mailing list, and if anyone's interested I've left links to a couple of them here.

http://moveunderfire.wixsite.com/aboutca......Aint-Bad
AntonF
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of AntonF
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, chappy wrote:
Researching Details of Deception I filmed a ton of techniques, handlings and explanations for use in my correspondence with some of the kind folks helping my with technical editing and feedback. Three or four days ago I sent out a few select clips to folks on my mailing list, and if anyone's interested I've left links to a couple of them here.

http://moveunderfire.wixsite.com/aboutca......Aint-Bad

The moves are great, but there is a mistake in password for the gambling demostration. However, I have figured it out, for the page of the trick😉
[...] The passion culminates in the professional. He would rather play than eat. Winning is not his sole delight.[...] there is but one pleasure in life better than winning, that is, in making the hazard...
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
You are right, my mistake. The correct page number is 185 for the second clip.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
292 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Greg's new book is a goldmine of serviceable concepts,
techniques and effects.

Of particular note are his thoughts and treatments on
estimation, seconds, memorised deck work and perhaps
more importantly devising routines where subtle methods
are further disguised by natural actions.

Memdeck workers will find much to chew on. Most
importantly a sense of play and attention to what's
happens to the deck state before, during and after
an effect. He explores and exploits clever ideas and
principles. Not only will you see these principles at
play, you'll also come to understand how they can
be used in ways that minimally impact the order of
the deck without sacrificing effect.

This book focuses on at the very least three core
concepts in card magic. Everyone invested or
interested in cards will find much to consider here.
Highly recommended.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks Jed!

I'm pleased you're enjoying it. For those who enjoy this type of material (you know who you are) you will find some cool new (and old revisited) techniques here.

Best,
Greg
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
By the way,

If you've read the book, take a look over at the Details of Deception competition post over at the Latest and Greatest section of this forum.

The post about the competition/giveaway seems to have been overlooked, possibly lost in the ether with no responses to the offer of a FREE recently released "special" deck of cards to someone who can answer a simple question about the book, and provide a specific (and novel) proof of having it. Possibly I've misjudged that my competition asks for too much effort to enter, OR it's not been noticed and has simply drifted down in the never-ending string of "latest" posts.

If you have the book, please take a look, and possibly take the prize.

Best,
Greg
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Just received a message from Eric Richardson...."Greg's first book, The Devil's Staircase was full of great routines and clever ideas. In Details of Deception Greg keeps the standard high and delivers nicely constructed and utterly fooling routines. Along the way, Greg shares insights and ideas that can help make all of your magic even better. I especially liked Greg's work on estimation and the memorized deck. If you enjoy card magic then you want this book!"
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
I received another great comment about the book. Folks here know him by the Café handle Vlad_77...

"I finished the book and I am absolutely convinced that your book should be required reading. Your in depth discussion of the Second Deal is brilliant. I love the finesses you've added. The language is clear which should please people who are turned off by the writing style of Erdnase. Stacked to Win is a KILLER routine and could be a separate manuscript on its own - it's really that good!"

Thanks Joe, coming from you I really appreciate it!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4582 Posts

Profile of landmark
You may be interested in the review of Details of Deception, which I just posted, here:

https://jackshalom.net/2017/07/29/giving......ception/
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks Jack! Great review.
Indistinguishable
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Indistinguishable
I bought Details of Deception a few months back. It was a good buy. Nicely produced, some good solid ideas, and (for me most important)some useful tools including some thorough science on judging cuts etc. The videos are a great bonus. Well done Greg!
AntonF
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of AntonF
This book includes a Dvd? Or how is possible to see the video demos? Everybody say this book is great.
[...] The passion culminates in the professional. He would rather play than eat. Winning is not his sole delight.[...] there is but one pleasure in life better than winning, that is, in making the hazard...
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks Indistinguishable. Pleased you like it.

I've recently been filming a bunch of new clips showing and explaining some of the material from the book. Once I've begun editing and compiling them I'll find a way to make them available for anyone with the book who is interested in seeing more of it in action. If you bought direct from me you'll hear about the clips soon. If you got it from one of the dealers and you're interested in seeing more clips let me know and I'll add you to my mailing list to make sure you get to see them.
Best,
Greg
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
I've just started a Facebook group for those interested in this material, and in general those interested in cards, stack work, sleight of hand with cards, gambling routines etc.

It's brand new and I hope it'll pick up some interest and be a good place for like minds to share ideas. Please get along and take a look. It's called Devil in the Details and should be easily found with a search on Facebook.

Anton F, thanks, I'll be posting a ton of clips on the group if you're interested.

Best,
Greg
chappy
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of chappy
Just a heads up for anyone interested in seeing some of the ideas in action, to head along to the new Facebook group Devil in the Details. It's relatively new and already there are some great card men in the group and it's good to see folks sharing their thoughts and ideas.

I've just posted a clip to the group demonstrating a routine from the book called The Stranger, which uses a concept that I'm interested to hear if anyone is putting to work. A while back Jan Forster shared with me some ideas of his for the concept, which were great. Interested to hear from anyone else here who's tried it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Details of Deception - By Greg Chapman (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL