The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..17..21..25..29..33..34~35~36 [Next]
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of ed wood
This looks good, possibly the first truly practical piece of prop less mentalism?
Just ordered a copy from Alakazam.
Quick question. I perform a routine (completely different to this) where I ask people to imagine doodling on a piece of paper (they actually draw it) I allow them to draw anything, shapes as well as objects. Does Proteus allow only for objects, therefore ruling out shapes etc? I ask mainly because when I doodle I generally go for cubes and spirals. Hope this doesn't come across as fishing. If an answer gives anything away please ignore me.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I think propless means no doodles other than in the mind
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1532 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Just ordered from Propdog (UK). I hope there will be some way to get the pdf.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
The pumping seqence in the video is quite obvious I could work out what the objet were before he even said them so I will give it a miss for now tahnks
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
917 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Hi Ed,

I think it needs to be a physical something and a spiral or abstract design would be difficult but I may be wrong.

Dr Rob
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1888 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, ash2arani wrote:
I agree, paying extra to get exclusive content while reasonable and given Michael's thinking, a great opportunity, it is not 'free'.

I am hoping that Michael makes his work available even if at a higher cost (~10 gbp). I know I would pay to get that simply because it makes no sense for many to ship from UK.

Now back to Proteus. Any idea why the release is July 10 when most dealers have it in stock already?


I guess murphys decides the date of release

the other point is if you say you are giving a free item it's not free if you are adding GBP6.00 to the total (compared to the other dealers)

If he said if you Order from me you will be able to purchase an exclusive add on for GBP6.00 extra that's fair enough
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
917 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Re Jacksmagic comment - I agree with this and am still awaiting for a reason but have also seen that Vanishing Inc have a retail price of £48.75 GBP so there is a price difference at a few places..
Alakazam £43.00 GBP / Propdog £42.99 - it happens a lot.
Saw it a few months back with The Gift Limited Edition version from Angelo Carbone.

Dr Rob
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1562 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, ed wood wrote:
This looks good, possibly the first truly practical piece of prop less mentalism?
Just ordered a copy from Alakazam.
Quick question. I perform a routine (completely different to this) where I ask people to imagine doodling on a piece of paper (they actually draw it) I allow them to draw anything, shapes as well as objects. Does Proteus allow only for objects, therefore ruling out shapes etc? I ask mainly because when I doodle I generally go for cubes and spirals. Hope this doesn't come across as fishing. If an answer gives anything away please ignore me.


Spirals and cubes aren't allowed but hearts and stars are
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Propdog are shipping on 5th July - so you will get it the earliest

I guess Saturn are the cheapest - if you include the 5% 'cashback' promotion

I don't think MindFX have 'added' £7 onto the price

My guess is the RRP is £50 - and everyone sets their price from there

If you know it will sell out - then you could keep it at full price and once the better offer places have sold out - then they have to buy off you at full RRP

But long term people tend to go for who ever gives you the best deal [price+service]

I always feel that is Saturn [for me]

I thought magicbox.uk was run/owned by MindFX [I am obviously wrong] - so I thought they would be the same price/deal - but magicbox was competitive where as MindFX was not

So although MindFX is giving the extra pdf away for free… they are charging more for the book… if they add postage on top – I think it would make it £10 - £13 more than Saturn [with their free P&P and 5% cashback]

So if you think the extra bits are worth £10+ more than MindFX is the best deal

I would expect this ‘limited’ offer – for the first 50 copies … to be continued forever by MindFX as that is too good of an extra to not offer it to all customers. But then I think that’s the sort of BS that PT has with releases – pre order and you get ‘extra subtleties not available in the commercial release’ – that just makes me think, why are they not in the actual release… as it seems somewhat dodgy to have extra work that you are ‘holding back’ from the release, and only giving to those who buy it ‘sight unseen’ – it’s not a reward for them, it’s a punishment to those who buy the product forever after. This is not the case here, as the work has been put in by someone else [not the person releasing the product] – although I think Michael’s work and effects are very good, I thought paying £10 extra was too much [for me]

Finally the best advert for this - is that Karl thinks it's bad, that's all you would need in the copy for me to snap it up...
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, ed wood wrote:
This looks good, possibly the first truly practical piece of prop less mentalism?
Just ordered a copy from Alakazam.
Quick question. I perform a routine (completely different to this) where I ask people to imagine doodling on a piece of paper (they actually draw it) I allow them to draw anything, shapes as well as objects. Does Proteus allow only for objects, therefore ruling out shapes etc? I ask mainly because when I doodle I generally go for cubes and spirals. Hope this doesn't come across as fishing. If an answer gives anything away please ignore me.


Spirals and cubes aren't allowed but hearts and stars are


I assume it's well covered to ensure people don't go for shapes of that nature?
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
781 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
I read some comments here and I must say I'm quite surprised. I feel the need to clarify my philosophy in magic, that reflects in my creations.
So, I read some fellow magicians comment about "fishing" or "pumping" ... And I ask: since when these have become obsolete or out of fashion...? Reminds me of people discarding routines because they're based on a One-Ahead...
Some people here, if I get it right, would like to divine any drawing without pumping, without anagram, without anything written down, without talking, without asking, without looking... :-D

I would like to ask a favor to everyone here. Please, PLEASE, if you forgot that we do this, all this, for LAY audiences, if you are looking for a trick to fool your magician friends, if you feel that the method is obvious and you could divine everything in the performances, then I respect that but we DO NOT share the same philosophy. Proteus is NOT for you. And it's not a bad thing. We're all different and we all have different expectations. Proteus is BY NO MEANS an exception.

Please respect people who like it, and don't waste your time and money on this. I mean it and mean no disrespect to anyone saying this. I just felt the need to express myself because I am old-fashioned and do appreciate good manners and respect.

Thank you all and be well, always

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
I just preordered from Penguin.


Hey, does anyone know if preorders at Penguin will include the June Penguin Monthly (for preorders placed on June 30) or will it include the July issue because the actual shipping date is in July?
Magidoc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magidoc
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, BCE wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
I just preordered from Penguin.


Hey, does anyone know if preorders at Penguin will include the June Penguin Monthly (for preorders placed on June 30) or will it include the July issue because the actual shipping date is in July?


I think it might depend on when you order it. I pre-ordered yesterday and am receiving the June edition(if you look at your order history it'll show what edition you get). But since it is now July I'm guessing it will be the July edition...? It doesn't look like it matters when it will be shipped, just when you purchased it.
Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
125 Posts

Profile of Argon
Well Mindfx does seem to have some new stock as I just ordered there.
Rechecking the email I would wager all preorders get the extra material Michael created. So if it worth to you to pay extra for it go for it, I did and so far was never disappointed by Mr. Murray output.
I guess he is very busy with his minds convention this weekend.
Cheers
Stefan
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1888 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, The Duster wrote:
Propdog are shipping on 5th July - so you will get it the earliest

I guess Saturn are the cheapest - if you include the 5% 'cashback' promotion

I don't think MindFX have 'added' £7 onto the price

My guess is the RRP is £50 - and everyone sets their price from there

If you know it will sell out - then you could keep it at full price and once the better offer places have sold out - then they have to buy off you at full RRP

But long term people tend to go for who ever gives you the best deal [price+service]

I always feel that is Saturn [for me]

I thought magicbox.uk was run/owned by MindFX [I am obviously wrong] - so I thought they would be the same price/deal - but magicbox was competitive where as MindFX was not

So although MindFX is giving the extra pdf away for free… they are charging more for the book… if they add postage on top – I think it would make it £10 - £13 more than Saturn [with their free P&P and 5% cashback]

So if you think the extra bits are worth £10+ more than MindFX is the best deal

I would expect this ‘limited’ offer – for the first 50 copies … to be continued forever by MindFX as that is too good of an extra to not offer it to all customers. But then I think that’s the sort of BS that PT has with releases – pre order and you get ‘extra subtleties not available in the commercial release’ – that just makes me think, why are they not in the actual release… as it seems somewhat dodgy to have extra work that you are ‘holding back’ from the release, and only giving to those who buy it ‘sight unseen’ – it’s not a reward for them, it’s a punishment to those who buy the product forever after. This is not the case here, as the work has been put in by someone else [not the person releasing the product] – although I think Michael’s work and effects are very good, I thought paying £10 extra was too much [for me]

Finally the best advert for this - is that Karl thinks it's bad, that's all you would need in the copy for me to snap it up...


The Retal Pricd as shown on Murphy's website is

USD55.00 at today's exchange rate = GBP43.00

There is NO VAT on books but vanashing inc always charge VAT on top of everything
as I previously had to file a complaint about this

So GBP43.00 This is more or less what most dealers are charging


Even merchant of magic who is also giving a Free Gift worth GBP19.00 if you pre order but still charging GBP43.00

As stated MindFx can charge what he wants I just don't like it when a dealer makes out he is giving a free gift for ordering
and then adds extra GBP7.00 on top of the retail price
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, phedonbilek wrote:
I read some comments here and I must say I'm quite surprised. I feel the need to clarify my philosophy in magic, that reflects in my creations.
So, I read some fellow magicians comment about "fishing" or "pumping" ... And I ask: since when these have become obsolete or out of fashion...? Reminds me of people discarding routines because they're based on a One-Ahead...
Some people here, if I get it right, would like to divine any drawing without pumping, without anagram, without anything written down, without talking, without asking, without looking... :-D

I would like to ask a favor to everyone here. Please, PLEASE, if you forgot that we do this, all this, for LAY audiences, if you are looking for a trick to fool your magician friends, if you feel that the method is obvious and you could divine everything in the performances, then I respect that but we DO NOT share the same philosophy. Proteus is NOT for you. And it's not a bad thing. We're all different and we all have different expectations. Proteus is BY NO MEANS an exception.

Please respect people who like it, and don't waste your time and money on this. I mean it and mean no disrespect to anyone saying this. I just felt the need to express myself because I am old-fashioned and do appreciate good manners and respect.

Thank you all and be well, always

Phedon


I couldn't have put it better myself, well said.

What so many people on here actually want is REAL magic.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Gonna pre order this...looks great
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1562 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, ed wood wrote:
I assume it's well covered to ensure people don't go for shapes of that nature?


Yes. You say, "Don't just think of a simple shape." Hahaha

Madison
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
191 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Just ordered from MindFX and remember after you add to cart you have to go to the top of the
page to checkout.
I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2289 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I didn't get it overseas to prevent extra costs even though one company was including Jesse Feinberg's Shadowbox DVD. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews for this older product. Anyone have this? Don't want to hijack thread, just a quick note. Thx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..17..21..25..29..33..34~35~36 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL