The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32..34~35~36 [Next]
edwardowen93
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of edwardowen93
I had this done on me and the problem was it just felt like I was being asked a load of questions.

Too many 'no's' for one yes.

Not for me.
MindAgent
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MindAgent
Tried it on myself and failed 7 times, tried it on two friends and failed on them even though I am following everything in the book. Great idea but I'm sad it isn't working.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2017, edwardowen93 wrote:
I had this done on me and the problem was it just felt like I was being asked a load of questions.

Too many 'no's' for one yes.

Not for me.

No's are not a problem when presented correctly. It's a shame your performer didn't present it in a different way, to show you how powerful 'No's' can be in mind reading and/or mentalism.

But at the end of the day not all effects are for everyone; nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with you deciding that it's not for you.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Well, why are you using your friends as the test subjects?

Friends, family, people who know you in general, are not great for this.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, MindAgent wrote:
Tried it on myself and failed 7 times, tried it on two friends and failed on them even though I am following everything in the book. Great idea but I'm sad it isn't working.

It's a shame it isn't working for you at the moment. The difficulty is that for those of us that it IS working for, it's really difficult to explain more in an open forum.

Assuming you've bought the book, why not join the private FB page and see what you can do to make it successful. You've nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by trying to make this a success for you.
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
I just wanted to say I loved Proteus!! I don't understand why there are so many negative comments here. As others have said, the script is crucial! After adding train, man and dog I find that the only times this doesn't work is when the spectator has NOT followed my very simple instructions. The number of 'No's' you receive should not be a problem if you are performing this correctly. Check out Madison's awesome video earlier in this thread to see how they should be handled or check out Peter Turner.
Harrybowman
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Harrybowman
I have just received my book, I've been waiting for it for too long. The performances I saw are crazy clean. The names endorsing Proteus are huge and I cannot imagine they're all wrong. I've never wanted to create an account here but did so just to post. I read above that Proteus might not be for everyone. I HOPE IT IS FOR ME!

More later folks.

H.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, MindAgent wrote:

Im curious what drawings they decided on.The script is very very important for this to work.
Todd
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Technically, I know a propless way to divine anything and there's never a "no" for an answer, as the spectator don't even have to say a single word, and it's 100% surefire... yet I'm getting Protheus, which is almost 50% more expensive.

Reading the above sentence, some people will think I'm crazy or stupid... and others might salivate to know what method I'm talking about. Any reader that fits any of those cases are probably "not there" yet. They are grail seekers... they have no idea what they want, they just want it.

For the grail seekers who think I'm crazy or stupid: Mentalism isn't all about criteria. I'm getting Protheus because divining something with the participant not saying a word means less engagement in practice. Also, the more categories I need to exclude, the more "process" (even though it's invisible). One would have to measure how practical it would be to achieve something with it for the sake of "doing it propless". It doesn't mean I'm making any method obsolete, it just means I have more tools to achieve what I want in the more convenient way in different situations, plus I never get "simply" what the author explains... I'll surely get more from it to apply in other things/in different ways, from ideas to subtleties.

For the grail seekers who wants to know what method I was talking about in the beginning of my post: Operation Gemini by Red Devil.

I don't think anybody should do something entirely based on hype, as it could be wrong... or based entirely on big names endorsement, as it could be biased. But there's more than enough in this topic to make an informed decision and it surely points to Protheus in a very positive way. Since the very beginning here, I can't remember the last time I saw a product with a teaser featuring the whole performance... in fact, thinking about it... only Ben Blau comes to mind, really.

Lastly, I was trying to put words in what I think is going on lately and, even though I have a pretty good idea what's going on, I don't think I could express myself properly about it. But it's clear to me that we have a good amount of people in our business who really needs to figure out who they are before they do anything else, and furthermore, to put the proper effort to perfect something (perfect something = you can't do it better). I already took 8 years to perfect a single effect to what it is today. I took a whole year to perfect my PK Touch routine and I should say here, those routines I mentioned where already honed after many years... it's really hard to perfect something of that level, it takes commitment, and that's a word we should all carry with us if we're going to take our art seriously. I see people getting this book and after weeks not doing it yet... but when doing it, getting 90% plus accuracy. I see people getting this book and immediately trying it out, and not getting results. I'll just quote here one of the great legends, Mr. Cassidy, as I think it fits as a glove:

Quote:
On Jan 15, 2011, mastermindreader wrote:
Magic is often thought of as the only area of show business where all too many would-be performers think they can buy an act in a store or on the internet. I am afraid that that sort of thinking is becoming all to common in mentalism as it gains in popularity...
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
So far, the accuracy of this is 14%

I followed the script EXACTLY as it is taught in the book. Here are my results so far:

1. The letter "S"
2. Purse
3. Sad Face
4. Smiley Face
5. Anchor
6. Eye
7. Boat

Out of these seven, the only one I got correct was the boat. Any advice on improving the accuracy?
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, cbguy wrote:
So far, the accuracy of this is 14%

I followed the script EXACTLY as it is taught in the book. Here are my results so far:

1. The letter "S"
2. Purse
3. Sad Face
4. Smiley Face
5. Anchor
6. Eye
7. Boat

Out of these seven, the only one I got correct was the boat. Any advice on improving the accuracy?

Judging by your results, maybe participant selection is the issue? Were your test subjects close friends/family or children? They didn't listen to your instructions at all! Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Wow, just wrote a long post and pulled it lol.
Read too fast and thought you got a miss on boat.

Can I ask what the enviornments were when you were road testing this?
(i.e. Loud bar, noisy, etc)
One of the reasons may be the specs not hearing your set up clearly?
The faces at least shouldn't have happened, which is why I ask.
Are you sure you included the opening sections of the script?

I'm asking sincerely btw, and not trying to be snarky in the least.
Do you perform any other propless pieces with similar methodologies?

I'd like to see you work this out, since you're obviously not afraid to mud test it.
Be a shame imo to not try a little further and see how it goes.

Also, Phedons amazingly responsive to his readers.

252HopeToHelp
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I rest my case lol

-Theodore Annemann
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Hi 252life,

I'm sending you a pm. Nothing I share here will be helpful, to anyone here... at this point.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
My thoughts as well.
Looking forward to it, thx.

-Theodore Annemann
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This will be on the reel magic site on just a couple of days. If you can't wait shoot me an email and I will get you a price....
Harrybowman
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Harrybowman
Read it and all I can say is that THIS IS AMAZING STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With no experience at all I have tried it six times and nailed it five times, three over the phone. I KNOW that it's success RELIES on the performer's skills to a great extent, I must now get the extended version!!!!!!! I have no Facebook account to join the group mentioned in earlier posts!! PHENDON???????????

H.
Tom Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
England
291 Posts

Profile of Tom Wong
Really, where do I start...
I know. I can first start off by saying this is that this is absolutely amazing, I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that this is one of the better things to hit the mentalism scene this year. It's simple, pure and direct.

Now let's address the Elephant in the room. The negative comments & reviews. While some of these reviews may be 100% innocent, the majority are a prime example of people who are not willing to put in the hard work and effort. If you're expecting for this miracle to be handed to you on a platter you are deadly wrong. Stop reading here, scroll up and go look for something like a self-working packet trick. MindPeek is going to take some time. Time to adapt it to your needs and wants. While the system in its simplest form will hit most of the time it's a good idea to add your own personal touches and extend the system according to what you want. That will increase the hit rate to nearly 100% (Take a minute to think about this; nothing at all is 100%)

Personally, I have hit every time other than my second time doing this 10 minutes after reading the book. The person who I failed with was a family member and so I don't consider them to be a 100% layperson.

The book itself is well made. Printed and designed nicely. More importantly, it is an easy read. Phedon is an excellent teacher, he leaves no stone unturned.

As with anything if you are willing to put in the effort you will reap the rewards.

With the main routine out of the way, something that no one has seemed to talk about is the second routine which in my opinion is great. Again, simple, pure & direct.

Proteus receives my highest recommendation!

-Tom
Mentalistry | Providing quality products to Mentalists across the globe
www.mentalistry.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great post Tom, and I completely agree. Smile *Oh, and that 2nd BONUS routine wasn't forgotten... Smile

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
Man, I find myself in some crazy places at times, and this one is truly an interesting one... 🤔

Mentalism is something that has always caught my mind's eye and I truly enjoy it. I like to keep things simple, and being a very long way from home with this, I have found a very interesting place to rest with Proteus.

First, it is just an amazing piece of work. I am still studying it, but the concept is so clear and inviting that it didn't scare me off as many of these mentalism effects do. Phedon has most perfectly hit upon my mantra nowadays, "Less is More." He has found a clear and concise way to deliver a miracle of an effect. I will keep working on this because I can see it is something well worth thinking about and bringing alive in my own work.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that I am mostly a coin guy (I know, I know, "A COIN GUY" what does he know? -Well, you'd be surprised!), Smile and that's where I first came across Phedon long ago now. He was quite interested in coin magic then, and we developed a real friendship there. He soared with coin magic, and so to see him now an accomplished and respected mentalist, is just further proof to me that indeed he is yet another "diamond in the rough" I was blessed to come upon on my journey (Eric Jones was another one). Smile

As I said, I'm still going through this but so far, it is absolutely AMAZING. I've actually given it a preliminary whirl and it indeed works as presented and explained. Incidentally, it is good, clear reading and Phedon covers every aspect of how it's done, over & over again until you get it. Smile After a while, it will become simpler and simpler to you as it is becoming for me (and that ain't always easy), Smile and with all the nuances he goes over to help polish the presentation for you, you come to see that indeed it is a real gem, and then some...perhaps even more than that.

There are certain things you should carry on your person at all times (even coin/ close-up men like me), like good character, a good word for people, a willingness to help others, and in some way the ability to touch & leave people in a way that brings about sheer wonderment....Proteus is all you need for the latter.

I beyond "highly recommend" this (even if you're not a mentalist, actually, especially if you're not.), as I do all the very few things I've come across that are of a truly unique perfection. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

...I failed to mention here about Phedon including a real BONUS with this..."Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" is a great little addition to this offering. I did mention above that Phedon is also a quite clever coin magician from his old days, so I can see why he found a way to include a little coin stuff here and it was wonderful to see how he mixed in some old coin workings. Smile It's all mixed with his use of mentalism now and everywhere as cleverly done. What a nice effect, and I can see why he does it everywhere he goes. It's a winner!

It would take a decent-at-best coin guy like myself to bring a little notice to this, but in the same way that I tell my coin colleagues that a little variation goes a long way, I say that here to you mentalists as well. This is just the sort of effect that helps to branch you out a bit, maybe even try a coin trick one day (I know, I know...Don't get crazy!). Smile Anyway, what I'm really saying here is that beside the dominating brilliance of "Proteus," this is another little gem, so don't overlook it as it's a pretty darn good one...A little bit of mentalism with a few coins...Easy to do and quite amazing! It's like getting a little extra in your paycheck...every week. It truly makes an already great package, even better.
Smile

*Hey, maybe Madison here will do a video on this one too, as his take on Proteus (above) was just exceptional. I know Phedon has to be quite humbled and proud of that performance of his work. Just EXCELLENT and it really gives great illustration to the teachings. I hope that I come to be able to present the effect half as good. Absolutely worth re-posting here... Smile

Quote:
On Jul 16, 2017, MadisonH wrote:

-Mb Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Mb, just wanted to go off topic a sec and say, I always enjoy reading your posts.
Don't think I've ever seen you get crappy/crabby, like some of us occasionaly fall victim too lol.

252Mb

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32..34~35~36 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL