The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Shattering" a vase or glass during a seance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
I wanted to hear from other seance performers who've used a vase or glass that shattered during the performance. Was there any danger of flying debris? How far away would you suggest the object by located before "shattering" it with a gaff? thanks
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Just a couple of thoughts...are you doing this "mentally", or is it being done by an "ethereal presence"?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
I'm in the process of trying this type of thing for a seance. I'm planning to have the item to be shattered across the room just in case.

I'd too would like to hear others' experiences with this.

Also, what gaffs did you use?

Dave
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I agree that it should be across the room. An idea that I had once was that it be a "crystal" goblet that was an award for something, therefore it is in a glass case. Gives a plausible reason for it to be in glass. Just have a small plaque at the base explaining what the award was for..

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
I never use anything that is breakable and could have sharp edges in a seance show. It just isn't worth it to have you or a spectator injured accidently.

I use books or standing picture frames tumbling off a table or shelf well away from where the spectators are.

It's the same effect: a spirit moving a physical object.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Great idea...
If you check the January 2003 issue of Genii, there is an expose on the Magic Castle's seance room. Great ideas there that you could use.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
I was planning on using an old Abbott effect called "Break it" that looks like a giant mouse trap. It will shatter a glass or vase, with the aid of a thread. Maybe placing it in a trophy case would be extra "insurance" against any flying debris.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Sure. It could be a trophy that meant something to someone that the "spirit" was upset with.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
If the trophy or goblet was filled with a dark liquid, ie wine or blood, would the splattering effect be more unnerving?
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
I would think glass in a picture frame of someone the ghost does not like or the ghosts murderer.
And the chance of glass being thrown into a persons eye or something like needs to be taken into consideration.

done forget also they have break away bottles made of sugar glass at theatical outlets. (all the breakage not that much risk)
a ghost that wants OUT of the bottle.

just ideas

JudgeBean
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Something to bear in mind when you talk about breaking items is that someone has to clean it up later. So liquids in bottles would be a particular problem. You need to plan the pathway of the liquid. And plan for it to go elsewhere as well.

Also, consider this. In a seance, we are talking about things that spirits do. How strong does a spirit have to be to break a bottle?

A book falling over is safer and less messy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I do seances in other people's homes and would never dream of making such a mess. In my own home, I have a clock that will fall of the wall which is hanging on a nail with the "head" ground off. I have access to the back of the wall. My assistant yanks on a string, the dummy nail is recessed, and the clack falls to the floor.

The clock is all pastic and has withstood about three years of performances, and only recently "passed away." Quite a trooper for a $12 find at Target.

When the mood is appropriately set, it doesn't take a huge visual effect to startle your guests. Keep it simple and reliable. the guests reactions are your strongest effects in a seance.

Take care,

Craig Wilson
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
475 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Hello

I use a smashing glass in my seance. Se details from previous posting re blood in your act:

"I also have another angle on the seance where I use blood. This is a stage seance by the way. My ouija board is placed in full view of the audience and a wine glass (empty) is passed from one of the dinner tables and placed upside down on the board. However WE are not going to touch the glass as we are going to get the spirits to move the glass by themselves. After building up the tension, my assistant, the medium, who is seated at the side of the stage (performing area) falls into a trance. Just as the tension in the room reached it's peak, without warning the glass shatters and at this moment my assistant lets out a violent scream. I reach for my forehead as I try to calm down the audience and as I lower my hand the audience can see blood dripping from my forehead as I have been hit by a shard of flying glass.

The seance if finished at this point - a very dramatic ending."

I place the glass in a position that I know the glass will not hit the spectators. My original idea was to have a plastic dome (like those on carriage clocks) over the glass. The 'story' would have been to prevent it being touched by the medium.

However I found I did not need it. I have had no problem so far.

If you were doing it at a seance table use the plastic dome.

Black Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. Since Abbott's "Break it" measures 6" x 9", and is made of brass, it needs to be above viewer's eye level, to hide the gaff. It would be perfect to shatter a vase or glass, and possibly send the shards off in a safe direction, above the viewer's heads. Of course, a plastic dome would be the safest bet, but might also sheild the audience from the event.
B Wood
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of B Wood
I used to close my act by smashing a glass. After doing "Telekinetic Timber" against the glass, I would return the props, then re-focus on the glass at which point it would smash.

Liquid causes the problem of mess, but it also reduces the dramatic impact due to a change in the sound when the glass breaks. A very fine champagne glass breaks with an amazing sound.

If the prop you use is well made then you will be able to predict the direction of the glass when it smashes, and so your spectators will be safe. If you are doing repeat shows then it is a good idea to have a small vacuum cleaner on hand to clean up the mess quickly, as some of the pieces will be very small.
"Can I get the icon in cornflower blue?"
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
In our seances we used a small lightweight,three legged table, attached to a black thread. The thread ran thru screw eyes and was rigged to tip over when the thread was pulled. On the table was an "elcheapo" glass vase purchaced from the Goodwill for a buck.(they always have them)
The table was situated next to a fireplace and we measured the arc of the table falling, so that when the table fell the vase crashed onto the mantle and into the open fireplace. Everyone $*&% themselves.
At the end we made sure to guide everyone away from the fireplace for saftey reasons.
I think the more organic, (meaning "lo tech") seance effects are, the more they have a sense of raw intensity ...as opposed to mechanical trickery. Plus mechanical props can fail, but nothing works as sure fire as gravity!

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2004-04-09 09:27, roguemagic wrote:
I do seances in other people's homes and would never dream of making such a mess. In my own home, I have a clock that will fall of the wall which is hanging on a nail with the "head" ground off. I have access to the back of the wall. My assistant yanks on a string, the dummy nail is recessed, and the clack falls to the floor.

The clock is all pastic and has withstood about three years of performances, and only recently "passed away." Quite a trooper for a $12 find at Target.

When the mood is appropriately set, it doesn't take a huge visual effect to startle your guests. Keep it simple and reliable. the guests reactions are your strongest effects in a seance.

Take care,

Craig Wilson

Hi, Craig:

A portable version of this effect is something of the "Holy Grail" in my seance prop tinkering. Unfortunately, there are several stiff criteria that must be met: Temporary, invisible fastening (no Blue Tac [r], nails, etc.); no back-of-the-wall access required; remote, single-man operation; no evidence afterwards. Needless to say, it's not part of my show yet!

As far as the moving object, I get a LOT of mileage out of the 'Telekinetic Timber.' It's reliable, has utterly undetectable gaffing, and fits naturally into the "invocation" which opens my seance. That, I really like to watch people jump when it topples! :0)

Leland
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I saw a Ted Lesley "Bending Wineglass" for sale at Hocus Pocus. It is expensive, but if it works as it says, it might be a good alternative to breaking.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Shattering" a vase or glass during a seance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL