The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Labyrinth 1616: Recreating 17th Century Book Test (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Douglas
View Profile
New user
Florida
82 Posts

Profile of Scott Douglas
I shared this originally over at Penny, and some suggested I share it here as well due to the content. I hope crossposting like this is okay.

Anyway, for almost three years I've been in the process of recreating a 401 year old book test first published in Venice in 1616, credited to Andrea Ghisi. It allows someone to divine, from three questions, the exact figure thought of within a book full of illustrations. Behold!

The book is softcover with a nice sturdy feel to it. The front and back cover is foil stamped in white.

I created a slim 16 page booklet explaining in brief: the history/credits, contents of the book, and the method. David Parr was gracious enough to attach himself to the project and serve as editor.

Also pictured: wooden carving of Great Horned Owl.

I redrew all the images in the book by hand based on the originals, and reproduced the text and layout from the book as it once was with some of my own embellishments.

What started out as just a fun diversion became a two year labor of love that ultimately ended up with me making the entire book. I'll have more information soon if anyone is interested in owning a copy. Hammering out the final bits.

Thanks for taking a look!
Dark Foundry | Magic Creations
www.darkfoundry.com

Labyrinth 1616 | Mind Reading Book from the 17th Century
http://www.darkfoundry.com/labyrinth/
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
812 Posts

Profile of lin
Wow! That's lovely Smile
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quite an undertaking, pixelbaron! Excellent work, indeed. Quick question, as I can't tell which table we're looking at in the photograph: do the appropriate tables have numbers as well for the numeric divination, or is this modeled after a version without? Thank you!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
That is an enormous amount of work! Beautiful results. Congratulations! What a wonderful, atmospheric idea. The very best of luck with it.

Post a link to it!

(Great owl, btw)

BC
Phasmologist
Scott Douglas
View Profile
New user
Florida
82 Posts

Profile of Scott Douglas
Thanks for the kind words!

Pasteboard Alchemist: Unfortunately, the original 1616 book used to model this doesn't have any numbers for numeric divination that can go along with the images. I know the 1607 version Ghisi had made had numbers you could use but for whatever reason he decided to drop multiple divinations in this version.

PROF BC: Links will be coming soon! Smile
www.darkfoundry.com

Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2017, pixelbaron wrote:
Unfortunately, the original 1616 book used to model this doesn't have any numbers for numeric divination that can go along with the images. I know the 1607 version Ghisi had made had numbers you could use but for whatever reason he decided to drop multiple divinations in this version.

I wouldn't consider this "unfortunate" in the least. The book is gorgeous and staying true to the original 1616 Venice edition is excellent--I was merely curious. It could be argued that the numeric addition was "gilding the lily", as it were.

Fantastic work!
Delimbeau
View Profile
Elite user
May the magic be with you
477 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
This looks great!

There is an interesting online version available, to get a flavor. But I don't know whether we should put the link here.
Scott Douglas
View Profile
New user
Florida
82 Posts

Profile of Scott Douglas
Yeah, Mariano Tomatis has a couple of great online interactive reproductions of several of these books on his website, as well as essays and articles on the mathematical principles behind them. I reached out to him via e-mail when I first started this project and he helped explain some things unique to the version I was recreating. Smile
www.darkfoundry.com

Yann SICAMOIS
View Profile
New user
Tourves, France
79 Posts

Profile of Yann SICAMOIS
Wow! :clap: :clap:
Yann SICAMOIS
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
867 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Soooo pretty! I'm very happy to have been part of such a cool project. Kudos to you, pixelbaron!
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
Very impressive. I can't imagine the effort it takes to create something like this. Looking forward to more details.
Scott Douglas
View Profile
New user
Florida
82 Posts

Profile of Scott Douglas
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2017, Some_Magical_Idiot wrote:
Very impressive. I can't imagine the effort it takes to create something like this. Looking forward to more details.

A peek behind the curtain:

Arranging my illustrations in Photoshop after I've scanned everything in.

Working on the text and layout in InDesign.
www.darkfoundry.com

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That looks like it would go well with this :

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/A......ddca-IUF

I've already transferred the inside into a hard cover and did some extra doodling inside that.... this looks like a great companion for the shelf (along with the ol' 9 Gates tome)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
Seeing behind the scenes a bit makes me respect it (and ultimately enjoy it) even more! Thanks again for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Labyrinth 1616: Recreating 17th Century Book Test (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL