The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Isabella Star 3 by Peter Turner (220 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..33~34~35 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2946 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, swood wrote:
Thank you. Glad you like it!

Maybe you could ask the participant to imagine the man reading his horoscope in the paper and to focus on the letters he's seeing. Tie the whole thing together as an imagined scene...

Haven't recieved my copy yet, but I really like that premise, thx!

Cheers 252. I think Steve's idea of tying in the man's name to a pictured scene is a brilliant bit of thinking and could make a great presentation. The newspaper idea is something I used to do back in the day -using Marc Paul's PA, I think it was. Ask them to imagine that they are reading their horoscope in a magazine, as you tend to pick things up visually. It gives quite a plausible justification for working with letters (not that you would say that, of course -just ask them to visualise the horoscope column and their printed star sign and start picking up what they are looking at...).
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of swood
Frankie - no offence taken. I appreciate the motivation for your request and it's fair to say that I'm biased. But not fair to refer to me as one of Peter's entourage. I happen to have worked on a book with him of which I am rightly proud. My view might be biased by association with the project but it is mine and not his. I take your point re. wanting to hear from unbiased buyers, but as far as I can tell a number of them have already commented. However, I'm not sure my assertions will appease you any further so I'll leave it there, and no offense is intended on my part either.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1482 Posts

Profile of 252life
That has set off a bunch of ideas for me.
Again, thanks tons.

Justification. The mentalist biggest hurdle lol.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1482 Posts

Profile of 252life
(Was responding to Martin Pullman)

-Theodore Annemann
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2946 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
Again, thanks tons.

Ha! Exactly. Of course, sometimes the solution is to not bother with justifications and just get them to do what you tell them to do.
Smile
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of swood
For me it's not about justification (though I agree with what you're saying). That's almost a bonus. I think the story tie-in (both the birthday celebration and the horoscope in newspaper, which I really like) has a lovely theatricality to it, which to me is entertaining. I think there might be more to come on this!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1482 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
Again, thanks tons.

Ha! Exactly. Of course, sometimes the solution is to not bother with justifications and just get them to do what you tell them to do.
Smile

That is so true in my experience.
I think I could walk a pink unicorn out at this point, and keep a straight face.

(Off topic for a second-
Just started listening to the Paul Brook podcast again. I wholeheartedly recommend it.)

-Theodore Annemann
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of swood
Paul's a smart guy and always worth listening to. Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1482 Posts

Profile of 252life
Agreed. Have all of his books.
Paul kind of stays under the radar, like Scott Creasy.
Scott's another guy that impresses me.

Anyway, didn't mean to side jack the thread lol

-Theodore Annemann
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of swood
I don't know much of Scott's work but a few people have recommended him. Once I complete the next project, if I ever get some time (!) I'll check his work out. Thanks for the tip!
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1311 Posts

Profile of bond19
Hi gang,

My preorder copy of IS3 has not arrived yet (I’m in the UK). Anyone else in the UK still waiting? Pete has confirmed it has shipped, but I don’t want to hassle him again (he’s full on at home at the moment) so I thought I’d ask here first.
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of swood
If you send me your name and address I can help look into it.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1311 Posts

Profile of bond19
Thanks swood, I’ve PM’d you my details Smile
singhal5
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of singhal5
Swood, I have PM’d you my details as well! Thanks!
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Adam Hince wrote:
My comment regarding receiving it was particularly targeted to those in the US that were anxiously awaiting. It was to denote a heads up that their copies should be arriving soon. Perhaps that was too implicit, but it wasn't intended to add to the "drivel."

As my free time has been very short this week, I've only made it partially through the book, but it's a fantastic blending of methods. I love it!

Thanks Pete for sharing this gem!

-Adam

Hi Adam - my comment wasn't directed at anybody in particular, it was more a reflection on the demand for instant gratification we see so often nowadays.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, _frankiefourfingers wrote:
Nearly 25 pages of guff and not one real mention of what can actually be achieved with this effect - Typical Turner.

I am impressed with how far Turner has come in terms of his presentational skills but it seems he’s still operating with the same hype tactics he was slammed for the last time I was on here. Can I hear an actual account of content from someone who owns the book? Is there a full uncut performance provided with this? - the ‘teaser’ didn’t really tease me more pushed me to believe this is a pipe dream. Is this really possible?

Frankie

I bought the book, from a dealer.

Is it a pipe dream? No.

Is it really possible? Yes.

Can anyone do it? No (it takes a certain style of performance, and a certain amount of experience).

Is it 100%? No (nothing is, and propless less so).

Is it a high enough percentage to use? Yes, but depends on your own criteria.

Can it be used professionally? Yes. Walk Around? Yes. Stage? Yes.

Will everyone be willing to use it in those circumstances? No.

Is there a process? Yes, of course there is.

Is it difficult to learn? No, but its not easy either, fortunately there is some work involved.

Can an experienced performer run with this process? Yes.

Could a beginner? Less likely.

Is it 'typical' Pete Turner? Yes.

Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No.

Is there hype? Yes, like all effects released nowadays, by all performers, and all dealers, via digital media nowadays.

Do you need experience to read through the hype? Unfortunately yes.

So could beginners be 'caught out' by the hype? Yes, just like they always have been, going back decades when all advertising was printed material.

Who is it for? Those who like Pete Turner, or propless, or mentalism as a study, etc.

Who isn't it for? Card magicians. Or coin workers. Or girls (perhaps not the last one, I made that up).

Do they think of a name, a date of birth and a star sign, and you name them? Yes.

How long does it take? A minute or 2, approximately.

Is there a full uncut performance? Not without purchasing the book, propless requires a process, if it was available, people would just copy it.

Does Pete have a lot of hype? Yes, the same as Harry Lorayne, Slydini, Farser Parker, Bob Cassidy, Atlas Brooking, etc etc etc. Deal with it.

Does that hype mean that the material is not workable? Of course not, it just means that beginners can be caught out until they learn.

I think that's everything. Let me know if there's a specific question you need answering, and I will if I can, without methods, modus operandi etc.
Magidoc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magidoc
Nice review, Rolyan. Simple and to the point. Much appreciated
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, _frankiefourfingers wrote:
Nearly 25 pages of guff and not one real mention of what can actually be achieved with this effect - Typical Turner.

I am impressed with how far Turner has come in terms of his presentational skills but it seems he’s still operating with the same hype tactics he was slammed for the last time I was on here. Can I hear an actual account of content from someone who owns the book? Is there a full uncut performance provided with this? - the ‘teaser’ didn’t really tease me more pushed me to believe this is a pipe dream. Is this really possible?

Frankie

Well, I'm not a mate of Pete's or over familiar with his previous work, but I think Isabella's Star 3 is very good. It's certainly entirely workable.

The effect is this. First the spectator thinks of their star sign and you reveal it. Then you have them think of a man's name as well as their birthday, and you reveal both. Obviously, I haven't included every detail of the process. The name revelation is slightly more involved than just asking them to "think of any name", but the whole sequence is direct and it makes perfect sense to the spectator. The star sign reveal (which Peter has published before) and the revelation of the thought of name can both be performed as stand-alone effects, as well as being integral parts of the full routine. A link to uncut performances is provided with the book, but I don't think it has been made available to non purchasers.

The routine is not difficult, though a bit of memory work is required, such as remembering which star signs go with which months. It may well be a piece that can only really be learned by doing it for real people, as it would be difficult to practice parts of the sequence on yourself. You need someone to react to. I will probably start by performing just the star sign section and getting comfortable with that first before I add the rest.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
The star sign reveal is the same as one Peter has previously published? If I already own all of Peter's work on star sign revelations does it make sense to get this if I'm only interested in the star sign portion of the routine?
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
909 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2017, Caveman wrote:
The star sign reveal is the same as one Peter has previously published? If I already own all of Peter's work on star sign revelations does it make sense to get this if I'm only interested in the star sign portion of the routine?

The star sign reveal has been published before.
Reader discretion is advised.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Isabella Star 3 by Peter Turner (220 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..33~34~35 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL